In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Other freedoms we don't need

cat66hatcat66hat Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
I watched the O'Reilly Factor last night. There was a good-looking young blonde on, possibly from the 'Daily Beast', but I sadly don't remember her name.

She appeared not to be bothered by the AWB. She stated that she never owned a gun, didn't want one, and felt safe in her neighborhood. She did mention that her father wanted her to keep a gun. She just didn't care much about the 'gun issue'.

Her attitude got me to thinking...

I really don't care much about this so-called 'Freedom of the Press' stuff. What's the big deal anyway? I think reasonable government controls on the media might be a good idea. Maybe they can ban soap operas and reality TV. That would certainly improve my world. After all, we already have controls on what TV content can be broadcast and when. The USG owns the air waves or something don't they? Some of the stuff that's printed today would have my ancestors spinning in their graves.

As long as we are giving away our God-given rights, why not offer up some besides those related to the 'gun issue' that is so unimportant to most people?

Can you think of some of our so-called freedoms you could do without?

Terry

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cat66hat
    I watched the O'Reilly Factor last night. There was a good-looking young blonde on, possibly from the 'Daily Beast', but I sadly don't remember her name.

She appeared not to be bothered by the AWB. She stated that she never owned a gun, didn't want one, and felt safe in her neighborhood. She did mention that her father wanted her to keep a gun. She just didn't care much about the 'gun issue'.

Her attitude got me to thinking...

I really don't care much about this so-called 'Freedom of the Press' stuff. What's the big deal anyway? I think reasonable government controls on the media might be a good idea. Maybe they can ban soap operas and reality TV. That would certainly improve my world. After all, we already have controls on what TV content can be broadcast and when. The USG owns the air waves or something don't they? Some of the stuff that's printed today would have my ancestors spinning in their graves.

As long as we are giving away our God-given rights, why not offer up some besides those related to the 'gun issue' that is so unimportant to most people?

Can you think of some of our so-called freedoms you could do without?

Terry
    May as well do away with the 3rd Amendment. No one even knows what it says.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many different religions do Americans need?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's the idea Casper & Mr. P.

I think that eventually we will get down to restricting a freedom that will cause everyone to wake up. The sad news is that after the 2A is gone, there is no way to get any of the other freedoms back.

I have much-beloved button that says the 2A is not about guns, it's about freedom. Why is it that only 2% of the U.S. gets it?

Terry
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    she should go on a late evening walking tour of say, parts of detroit or st louis as a self guided eductional tour...stupid has no concept of the world outside her ivory tower..she reminds me of the Eloi with no understanding of the Morlocks
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Yeah, people like her are the ones in DC proposing "reasonable, common-sense laws to keep guns out of the hands of criminals."
  • Options
    themountainmanthemountainman Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why can't we sxamine that 5th amendment? Crime bosses are the only ones who use it anyway.[?]
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    but once the gubment sets out to place regulations on something they just dont stop. Take 2A issues for instance
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How about we go ahead and finish off the 6A. Judges have already conspired to prohibit jury trials in criminal matters where the penalty is less that 6 months, I believe. I guess 5 months out of a defendant's life and a beginning a criminal record is not worth the hassle for them.

They also actively prohibit juries to be informed that they have a duty to judge the law as well as the defendant. They use 'Contempt of Court' as a catch-all to threaten or punish by way of enforcing this travesty.

The 6A becomes more of a joke each day in an effort to 'streamline' the 'Justice System'. Let's just drop the pretense.

Terry
  • Options
    torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by themountainman
    Why can't we sxamine that 5th amendment? Crime bosses are the only ones who use it anyway.[?]

Yeah them and politicians. Wait aint they the same.[:D]
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    Well shoot, if we just let the 2nd slip away, there'll be no way to retain the others anyway.[:I]
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    tjbaron67tjbaron67 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

If the hussein had his way, he would eliminate the right to vote and just declare himself supreme ruler.

[}:)]

He may yet. Stay tuned.....