In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Manufacturing firearms in your home

Engineer88Engineer88 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
So lets say the gubmet banned all firearms tomorrow - and required turn in.

What is to stop these people who mill their own receivers? I know that homemade weapons are not transferable - but how the heck do you enforce that? I would totally buy home made lowers if I had the resources or knew the right people.

Now - I know that this would be prohibitively expensive for many - But for less than $1000 (ONE RIFLE) I could purchase a mill and learn how to do this - what's to stop us from doing that?

Comments

• Options
    Engineer88Engineer88 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't have to have a license to make one for your personal use - with your own tools from raw material do you?

I know to take that milled receiver and sell it to anyone without a license is a crime.
  • Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While a romantic notion, I think that the idea of manufacturing a receiver is probably a little more difficult than just learning to use a milling machine. Many receivers require complex broaching operations, shapers, and operations above the abilities of the average hobbyist.
    That being said, there were some firearms designed for simple machine work --- sten guns, for instance. But then, how do you deep hole drill a barrel blank, and then rifle it?
    How about machining a chambering reamer, and heat treating it for that barrel?

Then, if you ever complete it, you have to find ammo for it...

Regards,
    Chris
  • Options
    torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    A competent machinist can make a muzzle loading smooth bore. Admittedly they will not stand up to a full auto, but does it matter what a guy gets shot with.[:D]
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chris8X57
    While a romantic notion, I think that the idea of manufacturing a receiver is probably a little more difficult than just learning to use a milling machine. Many receivers require complex broaching operations, shapers, and operations above the abilities of the average hobbyist.
    That being said, there were some firearms designed for simple machine work --- sten guns, for instance. But then, how do you deep hole drill a barrel blank, and then rifle it?

Regards,
    Chris

yeah I would have to plus 1 this. Anybody half way compenent could probably dig up something like a single shot, but then theres ammo and the idea of reliability of the product made. And if guns all together illegal why wouldnt this be.

And to top it off there is some romantic feeling about bucking the government or creating some little red dawn in your back yard, but in the end you will lose in one shape or form.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Regards,
    Chris

Like the WWII Liberty .45 ACP single shot pistol, the purpose of home-made firearms would be primarily as a tool to gain better ones.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

Regards,
    Chris

Like the WWII Liberty .45 ACP single shot pistol, the purpose of home-made firearms would be primarily as a tool to gain better ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator

i thought of that as well. Still going to be challenge for the guy with a craftsmen lathe, And ammunition is the second problem.

I think these guns were accurate to like 10ft away or less.
  • Options
    cat66hatcat66hat Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think like the OSS did in WW2. You just have to make a gun shoot once, hit close up and then you have the guns and ammo from the terrorist for yourself.

Terry
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Engineer88

What is to stop these people who mill their own receivers? I know that homemade weapons are not transferable - but how the heck do you enforce that? I would totally buy home made lowers if I had the resources or knew the right people.

Now - I know that this would be prohibitively expensive for many - But for less than $1000 (ONE RIFLE) I could purchase a mill and learn how to do this - what's to stop us from doing that?

The question is not how do they enforce it the question is how do you justify risking 20 years in the Federal slammer?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Waco Waltz
    quote:Originally posted by Engineer88

The question is not how do they enforce it the question is how do you justify risking 20 years in the Federal slammer?

Ive heard this a million times, the law only has to get lucky once, the criminal or the person breaking the law has to be lucky every day
  • Options
    kdixonkdixon Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think 99% it is against the law to make a gun at home for personel use, it would be an un-serial numbered firearm, gun control act of 68? Any machinist could make a gun at home and many including myself have the equipment, I don't because that is what most machinists are in jail for. That being said a smooth bore stein is the best choice, for me its not the gun that would be hard its the mag. If you think it may be in the future buy a good book now and just think about how and with what, and hide the book!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think if your looking for a sustainable weapon that could be easy to produce would be a bow and arrow or cross bow. Not quite a gun, but projectiles are limitless, and the ease producing is quite simple.
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Making a gun at home is perfectly legal, "Manufacturing" implies distribution. Selling to others would be illegal.

If you make the gun it needs no serial number but you can not ever give it away or sell it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "the USG banned firearms and required us to turn them in" Are you nuts?

Why would you consider complying with a ban/turn-in while trying to manufacture something unaccounted for? With all due respect, the logic is a little shaky.

If a ban comes, THAT is the time to USE them or turn them in. If you decide to turn them in, start parking for the relocation camp.

Terry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry, the correct word in my previous post should have been 'packing', not 'parking'. As in 'packing for a relocation camp'.

Regarding manufacturing a firearm:

1) Anyone can manufacture a firearm. Check out Shotgun News that has monthly how-to articles by several persons on this subject. The last one that I read was on bending up an AK receiver from a piece of sheet steel.

2) Anyone can also make a semi-auto firearm from a de-milled full auto as long as you are careful about following the BATFE requirements.

3) The above info is not an attempt to interpret your state or local laws. You still need to check them out. Also, as a Journeyman Die Maker and shooter, I know that it is necessary to understand the firearm design as well as to be a good machinist so the firearm is not more dangerous to the user than the target.

4) An individual can apply to the USG for a firearm manufacturing license that will allow them to sell weapons that they have made. The cost is a couple hundred dollars.

5) I have no reliable info on manufacturing pistols or revolvers or the legality thereof.

Terry