In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Weapons Systems to Take Down a Drone

cat66hatcat66hat Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
I saw a neat internet ad last night. A well-known firearms/ammo/gear-related internet retailer was marketing a 12ga. 1-3/8 ounce depleted-uranium shotgun round to shoot down drones with.

Neat idea, but I think we could come up with a better weapons system to use...

Terry

Comments

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,467 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cat66hat
    I saw a neat internet ad last night. A well-known firearms/ammo/gear-related internet retailer was marketing a 12ga. 1-3/8 ounce depleted-uranium shotgun round to shoot down drones with.

Neat idea, but I think we could come up with a better weapons system to use...

Terry

I would think starting with a barrel that would handle significantly higher pressure levels, and thus generate greater velocities would be much better. Depleted uranium is heavy and dense, but at subsonic speeds from a 12 Ga barrel, would be very difficult to aim at distance, and would no doubt be fairly ineffective as compare to even a 30-06 round travelling at twice the speed.

Additionally, with .50 BMG AP and API ammo readily available, and a wide range of platforms from which to shoot it, why would someone go with a fairly anemic offering from a shotgun tube?

A depleted uranium 12 ga slug is either an April Fools offering (my guess is that it is) or a total gimmick.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    these things are not hard to take down no harder than a cessna. They are slow in comparison but still are fast enough and fly high enough that they are very inpractical to take down with small arms.

Really what projectile hits it is not going to matter as these things are not armored. The problem is going to be getting a large enough slug with enough speed and distance there to begin with.
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nards444
    these things are not hard to take down no harder than a cessna. They are slow in comparison but still are fast enough and fly high enough that they are very inpractical to take down with small arms.

Really what projectile hits it is not going to matter as these things are not armored. The problem is going to be getting a large enough slug with enough speed and distance there to begin with.

Yeah a 88MM German howitzer with radar control would be the least you could do for government drones with the Fed's,completely out of small arms league.

serf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.8_cm_Flak_18/36/37/41
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The area where I deer hunt is also a drone test/developement area. This last deer hunt they buzzed our deer camp. You can hear them and from the sound you know the engines are smaller than a plane, but no one ever saw one even using good binoculars.
  • nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by serf
    quote:Originally posted by nards444

theres always the hope of the golden BB. But like I said they still fly over 110mph and at 25,000 feet, Nothing hand held would even touch it.

Yeah a 88MM German howitzer with radar control would be the least you could do for government drones with the Fed's,completely out of small arms league.

serf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.8_cm_Flak_18/36/37/41
  • Engineer88Engineer88 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drones fly pretty high. If within small arms range you'd likely need a machine gun or a lot of luck to take one down.

Otherwise stingers are probably your best bet, keep in mind that drones have a very low heat signature.

Some sort of radar guided missile would be a good bet too.