In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Internet sales "loophole"

dustinfoxdustinfox Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
What is this internet gun sale "loophole" that liberals like Joe Scarborough keep harping on? Is there such a thing or are they just flat out lying?

Comments

• trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    They are lying.
    The only Internet "sales " that are not controlled are want ad sites on places like c/l and f/b .
    And they seem to be instate ftf.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats probably what they mean but when you have people who know little or nothing about guns it is hard to tell. I think it may be just another way to sensationalize evil guns and how easy they are to get. It is like the new law on straw purchases. Suprise! There already is a law against it. We know that but non gun people do not. It is all about liberal politicans trying to keep theie liberal suporters happy so they can get te elected.
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you give it a little thought, you may realize that there are many gun sales conducted through sites like {elsewhere} that skirt the background check requirements. One of the networks did an undercover gun buy and picked up 4 pistols and an AR-15 at shows in Pen. Not one bit of paperwork required and no ID asked for. THe dealers selling these new items are greedy buzzards that are giving other dealers and collectors a bad name. They should be banned from gun shows.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007
    They are lying.
    The only Internet "sales " that are not controlled are want ad sites on places like c/l and f/b .
    Exactly, and they ARE NOT internet sales. Just because you saw the ad on the internet, the sale is face to face. Any sale that requires the firearm to be shipped, requires the services of an FFL, and therefore is subject to the NICS procerure.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbyerly
    If you give it a little thought, you may realize that there are many gun sales conducted through sites like {elsewhere} that skirt the background check requirements.How does one "skirt the background check requirements"? They are either required or they are not.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you give it a little thought, you may realize that there are many gun sales conducted through sites like {elsewhere} that skirt the background check requirements. One of the networks did an undercover gun buy and picked up 4 pistols and an AR-15 at shows in Pen. Not one bit of paperwork required and no ID asked for. THe dealers selling these new items are greedy buzzards that are giving other dealers and collectors a bad name. They should be banned from gun shows.

Good little serf.

I go out of my way to support these sellers at shows. I even pay more for their wares, as they have already absorbed the Sales Tax, and there is no transfer fee, and no waiting around to register my purchase with the Federal Government or State Government.

These folks provide a valuable service and rather that give anyone a bad name, are on the front lines of ensuring that paperless firearms still exist, and that freedom will live to fight another day.

Have you written your Senators regarding S.B. 374 yet? I am sure they are looking forward to folks like you who will give them cover as they expand Federal Control over the most important of our freedoms.

[xx(][xx(]
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

Good little serf.

I go out of my way to support these sellers at shows. I even pay more for their wares, as they have already absorbed the Sales Tax, and there is no transfer fee, and no waiting around to register my purchase with the Federal Government or State Government.

These folks provide a valuable service and rather that give anyone a bad name, are on the front lines of ensuring that paperless firearms still exist, and that freedom will live to fight another day.

Have you written your Senators regarding S.B. 374 yet? I am sure they are looking forward to folks like you who will give them cover as they expand Federal Control over the most important of our freedoms.

[xx(][xx(]
    Oh, but they might sell a gun to some maniac or criminal who might use it to maybe shoot someone.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    They are lying.

No idea about f/b and looked on c/l about twice and firearms are prohibited.

looking on c/l was a waste of time anyway. [:(]

I am on over a dozen trade & sale sites on F/B
    On C/L you have to look early and be able to decipher the language people use to get by the censors .
    "bang stick ", hole puncher , and many more terms used there .
    C/L scares me about buying a gun there due to a very high risk of buying a stolen one IMO .
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dustinfox
    What is this internet gun sale "loophole" that liberals like Joe Scarborough keep harping on? Is there such a thing or are they just flat out lying?

This is really a power grab by the Federal government seeking to regulate INTRAstate commerce.

The people seeking to ban firearms recognize that "internet sales" that cross state lines involve an FFL, but they know that sometimes "internet advertisements" result in intrastate transaction that don't involve the sale being recorded in an FFL's books. (That book will be turned over to the ATF when the FFL goes out of business -- which is why the gun-banners are trying to force virtually all transactions to go through an FFL, they want the data-base, containing all lawful firearm transactions, that will be generated within approximately one generation. "Background checks" by way of FFL transfer is a "registration scheme.")

The Federal government is trying to regulate intrastate transactions by requiring any transaction that starts with an "internet listing" to end through an FFL transfer -- even when both parties may be within the same state and state law allows the private transaction.
  • MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Senate Bill seems to poison the free instate transfer if the gun has been mentioned on an internet post.

So, is there a time limit?

Suppose you have two Marlin tube fed 22's. Do they both get poison?

Does it apply to posting before the law is in place?

Does this mean the BATF catalogs all newspapers, shoppers, Nickel ads, and all web sites?
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    They are lying.

No idea about f/b and looked on c/l about twice and firearms are prohibited.

looking on c/l was a waste of time anyway. [:(]

I am on over a dozen trade & sale sites on F/B
    On C/L you have to look early and be able to decipher the language people use to get by the censors .
    "bang stick ", hole puncher , and many more terms used there .
    C/L scares me about buying a gun there due to a very high risk of buying a stolen one IMO .

That is not done to get around a legal "loophole", bt restrictons that are placed on thespecific sight being used. Craigs list does no allow firearm sales- If one decides to sell a "bang stick", and someone buys that bang stick, no one has gotten around some background checkk "loophole", but instead have gotten around a site policy.No legal loophole has been used, and no crime ha been committed (assuming state laws alow face to faewithout background chcks).
  • smollportsmollport Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was wondering about this "internet gun sale" crap and the story is that someone on * sold to another person out of state and without going thru and FFL (and charged an extra $200, so no mistake). So he shot his estranged spouse. This is, of course, ONE lawbreaker out of thousands of internet deals.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by smollport
    I was wondering about this "internet gun sale" crap and the story is that someone on * sold to another person out of state and without going thru and FFL (and charged an extra $200, so no mistake). So he shot his estranged spouse. This is, of course, ONE lawbreaker out of thousands of internet deals.

And I would bet that it has been tried on Gb also.
  • smollportsmollport Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought an XD9 a week and half ago ... no paperwork, no (state sales) tax!

However, we did exchange a look at each other's driver's license and concealed carry cards. Try to self-polic that way. [;)]