In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

OK, maybe not long before locked out

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
I just want to get in one last comment about pro/anti NRA in case I get locked out. Regarding the pro/anti NRA NEVERENDING arguments here, BOTH sides are right. The NRA has done some good things, and the NRA has committed some stupid mistakes. But keep in mind that the gun ban attitude in society didn't get ugly until about sometime in the 1960's. It should be no surprise that it was not until the 1970's or so that the NRA even admitted to itself that it needed to take a more confrontational, aggressive, united front for the 2A rights position. And in the process it has made horrible mistakes. And it has and will continue to make mistakes. And even I believe we could find better leadership or at least better NRA spokesman's. But before you consign the NRA to the trash bin, where you think it belongs, consider this.

It is unrealistic of you to strictly DEMAND an IMPERFECT society to recognize and respect our 2A rights in a PERFECT manner. If we all indeed did live in a perfect society, there would be no need to even be having this debate. The 2A (federal and many states) clearly and perfectly conveys firearm ownership to citizens. If you yourself were to be involved in an fatality automobile accident that was the clearly the other drivers fault, you had still better make sure you assume the burden of proving a clear and PERFECT as possible statement on your behalf to prove you are the innocent party. If you merely sit back with an "I'm right and that is all that needs to be known" you could find yourself being unfairly convicted of vehicular manslaughter. In addition to that, you better obtain the help of some legal professionals (even if they are imperfect) to assist you.

Regarding rejecting the NRA because it does not meet your standards:

America is imperfect. Should you reject it or insist it be perfect or you will leave?

Your employer is imperfect. Should you insist your employer be perfect or you will resign?

Your family life is imperfect. Should you insist your family members be perfect or you will abandon those family members?

Your motor vehicle is imperfect because, for only one example, it generates more heat than power for your vehicle. Should you abandon your car at home and walk to work?

Your physician is imperfect because he/she has and will make mistakes that adversely affect patient's health. Should you abandon your physician?

Your firearms are imperfect because, given enough time and use, at some point they will fail you. Should you just go ahead and trash them now?

You are imperfect. Should those here who believe they are perfect reject you?

IOW, the most rational way to survive is to do the best you can with the best you can get. For now and the foreseeable future the NRA is the major player in town. If you don't fight for it then you are basically fighting against it. Like it or not, that puts you on the same side as the anti-gun crowd.

Comments

• 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just STFU and leave already.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    I understand exactly what you are saying.

Here.

Let's drink a toast to the NRA.

Drink this glass of pure, clean, healthy water.........with just one small turd floating in it.

What?

You don't care for it?
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh 35 whelan you have such a way with words, you old smoothie.[:D]
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know a guy who goes by Mr. Perfect.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by discusdad
    oh 35 whelan you have such a way with words, you old smoothie.[:D]

[;)]

Looks like we're at "Advisory Level Orange".[:0][:0]

attention_whore_advisory_system_xlarge.jpeg
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm still waiting for the reach around. Not feeling it yet.
  • Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    Tr...It is a very simple philosophical difference you seem unwilling to consider or incorporate. I cannot reduce it down more simply than this. 2 examples

If you jump half as far as you need to jump to cross a stream you will never reach the other side.

If you are honest you tell no lies. Limiting yourself to small lies means you are dishonest.

Some things will not allow for half measures and that includes all of our God given rights.

Where you see value in half measures, I see failure.

Sleep on it and have a Happy New Year.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Again... ?

I thought the show was last night...
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last night you were begging for the Capt to delete your account and now you want one last word sheesh.

well_bye_zps72580b59.jpg
  • wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No one is demanding perfection as it is a journey, not a destination. All anyone wants as regards to the NRA is for it to do what it claims to do. It hasn't simply made a mistake here or a blunder there, it has been actively involved in promoting gun control, and at the same time actively soliciting funds and donations to "fight the good fight" to protect the same rights that they have actively undermined. That's called complicity and duplicity, things that they are quite adept at.

I don't make a distinction between the old NRA and the new NRA that you once alluded to in one of your previous posts, all I see anymore is an NRA that has positioned itself to play both sides of the street.

Name a gun control law, of national importance, that the NRA ever defeated or got repealed? None that I'm aware of.

1932 Uniform Firearms act
    1933 National Firearms Act
    1938 Federal Firearms Act
    1968 Gun Control Act
    Bullet Bans
    Magazine Bans
    Hughes Amendment to the FOPA
    1994 Assault Weapons Ban (sunsetted, but not as a result of the NRA)
    It's conduct in the Heller Case
    It's conduct in the McDonald case
    The Conneticutt AWB
    The New York Safe Act
    The Colorado AWB and magazine ban

I don't know about you but I see a pattern here!

If the NRA was so effective in the gun control realm then it's membeship should be much much higher than the current 3 to 4 million, why isn't it 8, 10, 20 million? It sure isn't from a lack of marketing, fund raising, or name recognition.

Our 2nd amendment right is just that...A RIGHT!, Compromise should never enter the equation. As soon as it does it's no longer a right, it becomes a negotiated privildge subject to further "negotiations and degradation. And I find that unacceptable in an organization that purports to be the "staunch defender" of the 2nd amemdment.
  • booter_onebooter_one Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November -1
    This looks easy to me. If'n ya don't want to play in the sand box with the guys with a few rules, take your bucket and shovel and go home. [:(]
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NRA still supports legislated access, not the individual right expressed in the Constitution.

The simple irony of 'Right to Carry License Holder' as noted daily by Cam Edwards should be sufficient for any thinking person to understand from where the NRA comes.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    You can count me one who is fighting against the NRA. They exist to fight for "please mommy government, may I have a gun... sometimes". That's precisely what needs to be fought. Now kiss off TR!
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by booter_one
    This looks easy to me. If'n ya don't want to play in the sand box with the guys with a few rules, take your bucket and shovel and go home. [:(]

So....are you in favor of some types gun control then?
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wifetrained

Name a gun control law, of national importance, that the NRA ever defeated or got repealed? None that I'm aware of.

Heck! Name a Federal gun control law the NRA didn't help author!
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    quote:Originally posted by booter_one

So....are you in favor of some types gun control then?

No, he is refering to one of Mr Fox threads (now removed) where he begged the administrators to ban him because he did not find GB a place suitable to fully express himself. Of course he then came right back and posted this in General Discussion after begging to be banned. I decided not to ban him but to instead pack him off to the "lesser forums"; those forums which are out on the perimeters and by which to refuse him what he craves so much...Attention. Unless he takes up bass fishing or turns out to be a Vietnam or Gulf War vet; this and the Political forum will become the home for all of his threads from this point forward.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Enough.
    He will get no more attention with this thread.