.

Important Supreme Court decisions concerning guns

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member Posts: 59,369 ✭✭✭✭
Listed below are links to the decisions of some of the more important United States Supreme Court decisions that concern firearms ownership and use. If you wish to see a case added, comment on this thread and I will include it below.


Here is a link to United States v. Miller:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=17128640835628801970&hl=en&as_sdt=6,48&as_vis=1

Here is a link to District of Columbia v. Heller:
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=6484080926445491577&q=District+of+Columbia+v.+Heller&hl=en&as_sdt=6,48&as_vis=1

Here is a link to McDonald v. City of Chicago:
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=10450488700560329027&q=McDonald+v.+City+of+Chicago&hl=en&as_sdt=6,48&as_vis=1
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

  • serfserf Member Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are two dead links on these rulings here however two of them listed ruled on handguns and a short barrel shotguns but not assault military rifles. Then the third ruling by Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia left the assault rifle definition hanging in the balance,so it's not rather assuring that these rulings would protect all firearms. Especially if A state banned assault weapons and it was appealed to the Supreme court for a ruling if States could allow it to regulate them.

    serf

    ttps://www.newsweek.com/antonin-scalia-ronald-reagan-supreme-court-orlando-shooting-newtown-sandy-hook-472460

    The issue that Scalia left future courts to grapple with is what constitutes a protected weapon. He wrote that the Constitution protects weapons that could be carried and were in common use. What he didn't say in the opinion?and what the court has deferred ruling on?is whether an AR-15 fits the bill for a common weapon. On one hand, it's certainly not rare. There are more than a million in circulation. On the other hand, it's not as ubiquitous as ordinary rifles and handguns. At some point, the John Roberts court will wrestle with the questions Scalia left unanswered, or the justices will leave it to the political process.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member Posts: 59,369 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    serf wrote:
    There are two dead links on these rulings here however two of them listed ruled on handguns and a short barrel shotguns but not assault military rifles. Then the third ruling by Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia left the assault rifle definition hanging in the balance,so it's not rather assuring that these rulings would protect all firearms. Especially if A state banned assault weapons and it was appealed to the Supreme court for a ruling if States could allow it to regulate them.

    serf

    ttps://www.newsweek.com/antonin-scalia-ronald-reagan-supreme-court-orlando-shooting-newtown-sandy-hook-472460

    The issue that Scalia left future courts to grapple with is what constitutes a protected weapon. He wrote that the Constitution protects weapons that could be carried and were in common use. What he didn't say in the opinion?and what the court has deferred ruling on?is whether an AR-15 fits the bill for a common weapon. On one hand, it's certainly not rare. There are more than a million in circulation. On the other hand, it's not as ubiquitous as ordinary rifles and handguns. At some point, the John Roberts court will wrestle with the questions Scalia left unanswered, or the justices will leave it to the political process.

    Links are fixed now.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The biggest if on these ruling is that the SCOTUS does not make law.They rule on if a law is Constitutional. There is no interpreting as the Constitution is written in plain English.
    All these rulings are overstepping by SCOTUS by putting restrictions on "Shall not be Infringed"
    We need a good old fashioned Revolution. Or at least a million+ gun owners march on every state capitol & DC
  • serfserf Member Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    brier-49 wrote:
    The biggest if on these ruling is that the SCOTUS does not make law.They rule on if a law is Constitutional. There is no interpreting as the Constitution is written in plain English.
    All these rulings are overstepping by SCOTUS by putting restrictions on "Shall not be Infringed"
    We need a good old fashioned Revolution. Or at least a million+ gun owners march on every state capitol & DC

    Well Scalia's ruling said that the weapons that were common and could be carried. Now every word written on his ruling affects future rulings,then the word (were) means a carried weapon in the 1700's? Or a common weapon in today's National Guard? This is where (they) The Judiciary can play word games and rule either way and say they made a ruling on what was meant by our Fore Fathers thoughts at the time of it's making.

    Be wise a serpent and gentle as a dove. But Don't get bitten or snarled in a net however! :D

    serf
    The past tense is a grammatical tense whose function is to place an action or situation in past time
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 10,879 ✭✭✭✭

    DEMOCRATs stomp and crap on the US CONS.

    Unconstitutional bans on gun and ammo sales have already been implemented in cities they control and in states with DEMOCRAT control. More are a certainty

    Wonder which DEMOCRAT state will be the first for a statewide ban.

  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member Posts: 59,369 ✭✭✭✭
    chiefr said:

    DEMOCRATs stomp and crap on the US CONS.

    Unconstitutional bans on gun and ammo sales have already been implemented in cities they control and in states with DEMOCRAT control. More are a certainty

    Wonder which DEMOCRAT state will be the first for a statewide ban.


    If you're paying attention the Republicans are just as bad or worse.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Member Posts: 35,484 ✭✭✭
    edited March 24
    chiefr said:

    DEMOCRATs stomp and crap on the US CONS.

    Unconstitutional bans on gun and ammo sales have already been implemented in cities they control and in states with DEMOCRAT control. More are a certainty

    Wonder which DEMOCRAT state will be the first for a statewide ban.


    If you're paying attention the Republicans are just as bad or worse.
    Yes, the people wearing blinders continue to amaze me. Using the shredded constitution for toilet paper knows no party lines.
Sign In or Register to comment.