In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need tips on 1st class III transfer

treedawgtreedawg Member Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
hope this is the correct place to post this question. i've located a full auto that i'm interested in purchasing. all of my leads have been dead ends and all info skectchy at best on the legal steps to transfer this gun. the gun is legal to own in my state. any input or advice would be appreciated....

Comments

• Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been several years since I bought a class III gun, but if I found another that I wanted to buy, and it was owned by an individual instead of a dealer, I would find a reputable class III dealer and have him assist me with the transfer. He would charge a fee for his work, but I would feel more comfortable with his current knowledge of the process and handling of the application.

When I bought my guns, I had to get the sheriff's signature on the application, which, in my case, was no problem. However, in some counties where large cities are located, many sheriffs are refusing to sign. This can present a problem, but here again, the class III dealer may can help with "working alternatives" to the process.

If you know a reputable class III dealer, and your sheriff is willing to sign, there should be no problems with getting the transfer through.