In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Assault weapons ban

thesoundguy1thesoundguy1 Member Posts: 680
Is not the "Assault Weapons Ban" going to lapse in 2004?I was told this by my local gun dealer.If so,what will become legal again?

www.waveformwear.com
fighting censorship...with an attitude

Comments

• thesoundguy1thesoundguy1 Member Posts: 680
    edited November -1
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6960824&page=1

Here we go again, the President wants all those evil semi-automatic weapons banned to help Mexico with their drug problem.
  • Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny you should ask. I'm in an informal group that is trying to figure out how to put pressure on the right points to let it lapse in 2004 as scheduled. Unfortunately, if I had to bet now, I would bet that it will be renewed and W will sign it. The reason is that all the Democraps in Congress will start screaming that terrorists will buy "assault weapons" at gun shows and mow us all down, and the Republisheep will be too frightened of negative publicity to oppose them.

The irony is, most of what was "banned" can still be obtained (or kept) in most states as long as it was in existence before 1994. So that just means the "banned" items are more expensive. For example, I own many "pre-ban" magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, but new ones can't be sold to civilians.

Some states, like NJ, are more restrictive than the federal law and are trying to confiscate the older stuff from the owners. Even if the federal ban sunsets, individual state bans may remain in place.
  • thesoundguy1thesoundguy1 Member Posts: 680
    edited November -1
    I guess Josey1 will keep us informed if something happens:)
    (A lot of guys are down on him,but I,for one,appreiciates his posts).
    Anyhoo,a lot of people I know,who realize we are living in very
    different times and are becomming interested in gun ownership,are
    shocked and appalled at some of the gun restictions,when I tell them
    what they can and cannot own,where they can and cannot carry.
    For instance,the old "your automobile is an extension of your home,
    so therefore,whats legal in your home state,applies to your car"
    is simply not true anymore.
    There is no national CCW permit(this particularly shocks some people).
    They don't see the logic(nor does anyone else),in outlawing hi-cap
    capable rifles with threaded barrels.
    A lot of the people I've talked with admitted to"being asleep" while
    all this gun legislation has come down.Maybe it's a matter of waking
    these people up,and getting them active in the political process.

www.waveformwear.com
    fighting censorship...with an attitude
  • YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We need an organized effort to get a signature list going. We need to remind G.W. how his Dad 4% hinself out of the White House.

Helping keep America free: One gun at a time.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You want to send a message to criminals AND terrorists, there are three things that would literally scare them all stupid.

1. Repeal ALL gun control legislation presently on the books.
    2. Eliminate all import bans and embargoes.
    3. Pass nationwide carry, both concealsd and non-concealed.

All those who decide to break the laws get mowed down by an armed society, and all terrorist plots that involve people are suddenly outnumbered and outgunned.

Anyone who votes for ANY gun control legislation doesn't give a damn about you or anybody. Gun grabbers are not interested in guns, they're interested in CONTROL.

Freedom is not free, and it was paid for with the blood of all those who ever fought for it.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that Gun Show sales on assault rifles should have back ground checks,But if all aw abiding Americans are armed that is a deterent against terrorist attacks.Thats why the Japs didnt invade US soil because they knew most of CALIFORNIA was armed.And Im sure any other Country that ever thought about invading the USA has took that into consideration.When is our Goverment going to realize this or do they already?

Best!!

Rugster
  • frousseaufrousseau Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A BATF Study, that finally was published shows the 10 most used guns in Crime, there are 9 pistols, such as S&W .38 Spec. and 9MM Auto's and one shotgun. THERE WERE NO ASSUALT RIFLES OR PISTOLS LISTED AS ASSUALT RIFLES in this list. BATF, also, listed in the study, Time to Crime, Statistics.the BATF measuresa guns appeal as as offensive (rather than a defensive or sporting) weapon is the "Time to Crime" factor. Revolvers have a time to Crime factor of 12.3 years. There were lots of factors in all this, such as age, under 18 years, 18 to 24 years, in other words gangbangers. They had the least "Time to Crime" factor of 1.1 years and that was with a Hi Point 9MM automatic pistol. The Mossberg 12 ga. shotgun was the 5th gun on the list of the 10 most used guns in Crime. Five of the 10 guns were made by Lorcin, Raven, Bryco and Davis. An other amazing part of this study is that TIME magazine had it in the last issue. Frank

frousseau
  • Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    frousseau, there are some interesting threads about the 10 guns here
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24643
    and here
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25061

The idea of the "time to crime" statistic is an interesting one, but one has to be careful how one interprets it. It doesn't mean that the average gun of that model will be used in a crime in X years. It means that if a gun of that model was used in a crime, it was on the street for an average of X years before the crime. For example, there are millions of Mossberg shotguns out there, but obviously only a tiny fraction of them will ever be used in a crime.
    edited November -1
    If someone would be able to get the top ten gun list from 1984-1994, that would be a much more conclusive look at the true purpose of the assault rifle ban.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    If assualt weapons are banned- only criminals will have them!
    And that's all that will happen!
    edited November -1
    We realize that. But probably not in the numbers the fedcoats would like us to believe. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The idea of removing guns from the hands of law-abiding citizens because of the acts of criminals is like slaughtering the pig because he saw the fox enter the hen house.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • Rifleman.308Rifleman.308 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a long time to 2004, so I'm not willing to predict what the political climate will be like then. However, I would be surprised if the entire 1994 ban was allowed to sunset. It's more likely that tinkering, or even tightening, may take place.

I've always been terrified of flash suppressors, bayonet lugs, and pistol grips. The mere thought of being shot thirty times at night, without knowing where the shots came from or knowing that muzzle flash might have prevented a couple of those shots from hitting, really scares me. The idea that I might be riddled with bullets, and then someone actually bayonets me for good measure, keeps me awake at night. And the notion that someone might actually be able to maintain control of their high-capacity rifle with one hand, while perhaps punching me or otherwise gesturing in an offensive manner with their other hand, is almost too much to bear. I, for one, support the "evil features" ban for these reasons.

Yeah, right. The current crop of "legal" assault rifles, which cut off bayonet lugs and replace flash suppressors with muzzle brakes, or which build import rifles with a certain percentage of domestic parts, are identical in every significant respect to the banned rifles but for those features which might make them more historically correct, and therefore aesthetically pleasing, to a military collector. I am one such collector. My fear is that in the next go-round, our esteemed Congress will actually realize its prior folly and enact a law that attempts to put real, European-style limits on semi-auto firearms. It's a future that must be contemplated.

Vote! Join an organization. At the end of the day, nothing else will count.
    edited November -1
    The more laws the more oppressive the lawmakers.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak