In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Handgun Purchasing

jimmyconwayjimmyconway Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
I posted this topic in the General Discussion, but I wasn't quite satisfied with the response I got. Federal law states that you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun, but Texas state law says you only have to be 18. I'm 18. So does that mean under no circumstances can I purchase a handgun? Someone suggested that maybe I am only restricted from purchasing handguns from a FFL dealer, but let's say my neighbor wanted to sell his handgun I could buy it from him. Does anyone honestly know what the law is?

Comments

• Options
    jimkanejimkane Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know about Texas but in Michigan that is how it is. A federally liscened dealer (FFL holder) cannot sell a handgun to anyone under 21, However a private individual can make an instate handgun sale to someone as long as they are 18. But remember when you make the purchase you must be 21 to buy handgun ammo so have someone else buy the ammo for you. In Michigan handgun ammo includes for some stupid reason .22lr most likely because there are a few pistols that can take .22lr. Work out those bugs and you shouldn't have a problem legally owning a handgun. More power to you.

Live for Peace, prepare for War