In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

serial sniper

IIISKAREIIKROIIIIIISKAREIIKROIII Member Posts: 252 ✭✭✭
So, now that the serial sniper has started its rampage, what will become of the US citizens ability to own and opperate semi-automatic assault rifles and other rifles that could be used to 'snipe' someone? Will they be banned, will the laws get tougher, or will nothing happen at all? I personally think we will see all sales of guns moved to age 21, though in this case it wont help. Either way, something must be done.

S.K.

Comments

• gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What will happen?? My guess is that the malefactors in office will seek to ban them, and more violence will take place as more and more people are disarmed and brought to the mercy of their predators, who care nothing about the laws, and will do as they please until they are caught.

They are playing right into the terrorists' hands. We'll have to wait and see if this is what will happen.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Jesus Christ believed in the right to keep and bear arms, Luke 22:36.

-Gunphreak
  • BurningDailyBurningDaily Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I beleive that the terrorists know of America's weakness when it comes to guns. They know that a small little incident like this could trigger a nation-wide controversy about guns....Should they get their way, our traitorous politicians will ban guns like in Europe. Should this "sniper" actually be one of Al Queda, then it seems like it is another WELL PLANNED act of terrorism...not only is it killing innocent civilians, but it is serving the purpose of scaring people away from guns. Turning people into gun control freaks. I only hope that people realize that guns dont kill people; people kill people...and people will kill people for the rest of time, with or without guns.
    edited November -1
    I beleive that the terrorists know of America's weakness when it comes to guns. They know that a small little incident like this could trigger a nation-wide controversy about guns....Should they get their way, our traitorous politicians will ban guns like in Europe. Should this "sniper" actually be one of Al Queda, then it seems like it is another WELL PLANNED act of terrorism...not only is it killing innocent civilians, but it is serving the purpose of scaring people away from guns. Turning people into gun control freaks. I only hope that people realize that guns dont kill people; people kill people...and people will kill people for the rest of time, with or without guns.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Oh Crap! I'm very sorry about this posting spam of mine...I was having some computer trouble.

-Matt
  • rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No problem BurningDaily. It's a good way to get your post # up. I do agree with your post, er post's. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. They see a image of a ak47 on the news, that was used to kill 5 people. They think, "If that gun wasn't there, these people would still be alive" Its a simple answer, for stupid people, and these people VOTE. These people are WRONG, and nothing that we say will matter. They see us as gun nuts, and evil people.

Rameleni1
  • Rifleman.308Rifleman.308 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't NECESSARILY agree that the D.C. sniper will cause a further erosion of gun ownership rights. The man clearly is calculating his every move, and would pose a threat without regard to his choice of rifle. Aside from renewing the "firearm fingerprinting" debate, we haven't (yet) seen a full-bore challenge to AR-15-type ownership, or restrictions on semi-auto's in general.

That being said, certain politicians are already looking to make hay. The distinguished Mr. Conyers has voiced his intent to explore legislation that will prohibit the marketing of sniper rifles to the general public. Several issues immediately arise. What's a "sniper rifle," such that marketing of such a weapon might be prohibited? Without tooting my own horn too loudly, I generally can hit targets consistently out to several hundred yards/meters with every rifle in my cabinet (.22's excepted, beyond 100 yards). Does this make me a sniper? Does this make the rifles themselves inherently more dangerous? Does Mr. Conyers have even the slightest clue as to what he's talking about?

Generally speaking, politicians automatically respond to problems in society by looking to legislate them. This is not surprising given that politicians are generally charged with creating laws and executing them. In short, they use the tools at hand because those are the only tools they have. We can reasonably expect a proposed law in response to EVERY serious threat to societal stability.

Let's wait and see whether they catch the *sshole who is shooting civilians (including a child!), and then let's see what kind of rifle he was using. (I'm guessing an accurized AR-15 type, myself.) Once we know more, we can more accurately assess the impact on our individual rights.
  • medicjohnmedicjohn Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good point rifleman. Is a 30-06 a sniper rifle? or a .308 or a .270? All of these rounds are used by police snipers, but all are also very popular hunting rounds.
    edited November -1
    Depends on who you ask. To a member of the anti-freedom lobby, all of them have the ability to turn a man into a killer. To the sensible political dissidents like most of us, that is just plain ridiculous.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • medicjohnmedicjohn Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't that the truth, do they offer a course at college for that or something?
  • lil scoutlil scout Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every one seems bound and determined that the weapon is an AR 15.Why can it not be a mod70,or mod.700,or Savage 110,or a H&R Handi Rifle,or,or,or,etc.Where are the empty cases? In this day of advanced forensic science you can't tell me the ATF has not narrowed down the possibilities just by the distinctive rifleing characteristics of each manufacturer!They keep pushing AR 15 so they will have more ammunition to ban more guns at a later date.THAT'S IT!!!Even if they catch him(which I doubt)they will lie about the weapon.Who will know?
  • Rifleman.308Rifleman.308 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what it's worth, I think it's an AR-15 type because they found shell casings at some of his earliest firing positions. While it's possible he was ejecting from a bolt action before leaving the scene, he didn't start leaving other clues and messages until more recently, if the news reports are correct. I think (just armchair psychology now) that, earlier on, he fired and got the hell out of Dodge. When he found out that LE couldn't get a bead on him based solely on shell casings, he got bolder. (Bold enough, that is, to shoot a kid in the stomach, kill some guy's wife and some family's father, etc.)

I think his rifle is accurized because the guy thinks he's something special, and therefore he would need a special weapon to reinforce his self image. Before I get jumped on, I don't think people who shoot match rifles of AR-15 derivation are full of themselves. I just think this guy, who calls himself God, REALLY likes his powerful toy and its abilities, and he attributes those powerful attributes to himself. (Remember the old Corps credo, ". . . Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."?) He can shoot, but he's not a true marksman. He's just insane.

Someone should start a fund to help the victims' families. I would urge everyone who posts on GB to contribute $1.00. That'll show the anti-gunners what rogue, heartless, power-craved thugs we gun owners really are.

However, the first $1.00 in the fund should be used to buy one high quality .223 round, which could then be used to shoot the *sshole murderer in the stomach when they catch him. An eye for an eye. Then let him spend the rest of his life in prison, making big rocks into little rocks, playing girlfriend, eating paste, and emptying his liquified sh*t from a plastic baggie. I hope he lives a good long time that way.
  • lil scoutlil scout Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    AMEN!! Rifleman .308
    edited November -1
    Not me. Nothing we can do to him on earth equals the Judgment of God. Let him meet his maker!!!

Death to Murderers!!!

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • IIISKAREIIKROIIIIIISKAREIIKROIII Member Posts: 252 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks to burning daily for that SPAM, way to get another gold star hah

S.K.