In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

No more .50 calibers?

spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
Heard this morning that Illinois' politician Blagoyovitch has voiced the opinion that "...civilians don't NEED this kind of weapon..." and will introduce a move tomorrow to outlaw 'em.

Comments

• Options
    rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 186
    edited November -1
    http://chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-0110220034oct22.story U.S. Rep. Rod Blagojevich said Sunday he would reintroduce legislation to ban the powerful .50-caliber military sniper rifle because several were purchased in the late 1980s by an agent of the Al Qaeda terrorist network, according to testimony in the U.S. embassy bombings trial.Calling it the "terrorist weapon of choice," Blagojevich, a Democratic candidate for Illinois governor, said the high-powered gun could be used by extremist groups to down commercial aircraft or commit assassinations. "This is a weapon that should never have been allowed for civilian use in the first place," Blagojevich said at a news conference. "In response to these terrorist tragedies, we have to get them off the market."According to a report by the Violence Policy Center, a national gun control group in Washington, an American-based agent for Osama bin Laden's organization shipped 25 Barrett sniper rifles to Afghanistan in the late 1980s during the fight against the Soviets.The arms sale was disclosed this year during the trial of four suspects in the 1998 embassy bombings in Africa. Last week, all of them were sentenced to life in prison without parole.The Tribune reported in 1999 that the Pentagon was re-selling to the public its excess stockpiles of .50-caliber armor-piercing ammunition. The government has since stopped."We can't let the terrorists use our deadliest weapons against us," Blagojevich said. The center circulated its report this month to rally support for a ban.Blagojevich has been trying to outlaw civilian sales of the rifle for years. In 1999, he sponsored a similar bill that was killed in the House. But after the events of Sept. 11, he said, opposition might soften.The sniper rifle, which can pierce tank armor and shoot through bulletproof glass, is easier to obtain than a handgun, Blagojevich said, and is regulated as much as a hunting rifle.Under Blagojevich's proposed legislation, manufacturers would be banned from selling the rifle to civilians in person or over the Internet. It would also require individuals who already own them to undergo a criminal background check and register with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms."These arms were designed by the military and should be left to the military," Blagojevich said.Copyright c 2001, Chicago Tribune
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another sphincter lie to void the second ammendment.
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "These arms were designed by the military and should be left to the military," Blagojevich said.Yes, well, I recall reading somewhere recently (wish I could recall where...) that these were developed by civilians & THEN adopted by the military because they work!"Easier to obtain than a handgun..." at upwards of $3,000 minimum? He must have VERY expensive taste! Maybe he means they only require a 1-day waiting period in Illinois where handguns require 3 days.Thanks (rick_reno) for the link.
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's hang the idiotic law ,any idiot knowsyou can get a Barrett sniper rifle in mexicofor HALF the US price so do the terrorist... And in Cuba you can buy a 20MM BAMBI riflefor $1,800 US $having the proper connections. AnYway Box cutters and plastic knifes arebetter weapons... as demostrated in 911.. For bio-war just go to any known Antrax deadcow depository get a few cow remains cultivate in Egg White using a LAB stirrer ata constant 90 F at a few Hours you have a liter to a gallon of Sprayable liquid deathto wipe out 1,000 square miles (that is ifyou are smart to select the proper bug firstfrom the right RECES PIECES. All this is so IDIOTIC that it will take anidiot to invent something to wipe out all ofus from the face of the earth , personaly it will take not to long (I think we have one as president now !).
    I judge Thee!, Not for what you are , but for what you say !
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uh, Judge, did you have one too many 'toonies before dinner?
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    ironsitesironsites Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Who are the miltia? They consist of the WHOLE PEOPLE except a few public officers". *George Mason* How many people were sniped by 50 cal. weapons in the last 10 years? Could it be this politician wants to pass more anti-gun laws and doesn't want to take any chances? Sorry- but any law against the 2nd is null and void in my book. This guy took an oath to uphold the constitution and he is hereby in breach and this should be held criminal by the people! We have idiots running this country!!! We are a Replublic not a Democracy!
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know, it is really disgusting that the communists in this country will actually use this tradgedy to further their leftist agenda. Connecting the terrorists attacks to 50 caliber rifles? How obscene.I was watching the house on Cspan about a week after the WTC came down. These congress folk were debating a bill that would allow abortions to be performed at military hospitals over seas. They were going on about it being a health issue, and in these times it is important that our soldiers over seas are able to address their health issues. One woman actually said about three times that a womans constitutional right to have an abortion must be protected, especially a woman who is serving our country in the military. It is interesting to note that these leftists create constitutional rights that do not exist, yet deny the rights that are mentioned in the constitution.Yes, in these terrible dangerous times, we must make sure that woman in the military have access to abortion doctors. These leftists have no shame.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey - go over to General Discussions & see what Josey1 posted! There are still some folks in Illinois who know how to deal with these things!
  • Options
    Rich-DRich-D Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In fact the U.S.Government purchased the guns for delivery to the Afgans for use against the Russians.
    Rich-D"REASONABLE GUN CONTROL..... IS HITTING YOUR TARGET"
  • Options
    Rich-DRich-D Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In fact the U.S.Government purchased the guns for delivery to the Afgans for use against the Russians.
    Rich-D"REASONABLE GUN CONTROL..... IS HITTING YOUR TARGET"
  • Options
    ironsitesironsites Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's not all- THEY want "all" military style weapons.
  • Options
    rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 186
    edited November -1
    Here's an article that appeared in the Tampa Tribune regarding these evil 50 caliber guns. http://tampatribune.com/MGATNSHIJTC.html
  • Options
    thebutcherthebutcher Member Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo,You have no idea what communism is until you try to deal with gun rights in Massachusetts. When I finish paying $400 for a Licence to Carry course, I get to have my fingerprints and pictures taken and kept by the Commonwealth of MA, have a police chief conduct a psychological profile/interrogation as to why I want a handgun, and then probably get deined. If approved, I get to buy a gun and give them all my personal information to register my purchase.The only good part is that on my FID card (needed just to purchase ammo or have a gun in the house) there is a section for "reason for FID card. I put, to exercise my 2nd Amendment right. Priceless.~The Butchaa
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TheButcher- Well I gotta tell ya, I have a few relatives from the great state of Massachussettes, and if all the people from the state are like them, I want you to have to go through finger printing, psycho analysis, safety courses(especially safety courses), before you are allowed to own a gun.-salzo(aka Tiny)[This message has been edited by salzo (edited 11-25-2001).]
  • Options
    PaleowrldPaleowrld Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did we not in fact create a monster in Osama Bin Laden? Finance his war with Russia? Is history going to repeat itself with the Northern Alliance? I believe so. Now we have several other countries begging us for munitions and financial help to eradicate their terrorist problems. Son-of-* Washington, get your head out of your *.
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This argument always gets me ... "which can pierce tank armor". Yeah, maybe a WWII light tank.
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    I'm with Ironsites - I'd like to know the statistics on deaths caused by the .50 compared to say, baseball bats, in the last 10-20 years. Who can guess what has caused more fatalities?
  • Options
    wheldimond@aol.comwheldimond@aol.com Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heard this morning that Illinois' politician Blagoyovitch has voiced the opinion that "...civilians don't NEED this kind of weapon..." and will introduce a move tomorrow to outlaw 'em."Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion"--but no one better think about touching my guns.
  • Options
    Big TimberBig Timber Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First they will take your .50 then your .45......... Where and when will it end?BT
  • Options
    FMJFMJ Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If we lose our rights its our own faults for not being more vigilant.
  • Options
    IIISKAREIIKROIIIIIISKAREIIKROIII Member Posts: 252 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just wanted to boost this one to the front again. after the recent events

S.K.
  • Options
    IIISKAREIIKROIIIIIISKAREIIKROIII Member Posts: 252 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    now i had 99 posts so i just want to get an even 100:P sorry for the spam.

S.K.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The difference between a Republican's method of thought vs. that of a democRAT is that a Republican is supposed to realize the difference between rights and privileges to help capitalism and exert a little force into the laws. A democRAT, on the other hand, believes in the concept of majority rule, even if in doing so, a right is sacrificed by all in favor of a majority. They have the aid of the media and Hollywood to aid in their quest. These people are further into the idea of "Each to his ability, each to his needs." That is a dangerous mix of sozialism and organized anarchy. The way they achieve it to better the chances of success is to keep a vote and change things to support new ideas, including most of which are both useless and expensive. Imagine a society of weak victims. Every nation in the world will be able to conquer this nation based on that fact. If anyone wished to invade us, the US will not nuke on their own soil to keep them out. Or perhaps that's what they want???? With William the Liar giving nuclear weapons secrets to Red China, how do we know he isn't guilty of Treason???

Death to Tyrants!!!

Jesus Christ believed in the right to keep and bear arms, Luke 22:36.

-Gunphreak
  • Options
    50cal50cal Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they are going to take all are gun rights away. Soon they will have a reson to ban all of them. I don't think that is right. I like the 50 caliber. I would love to have one of those. I think it would be cool to target practies with one. Its there own falt that people that aren't suppose to have them haveum. Look how they screwed up on september 11. There was no reason for that. That could have been pervented. All there saying about that is owell will get past it. Make sure it dosen't happen again. I tell you, I think this is going to be a controled country. You will hafta ask to go to the bathroom. That is just my opnion.