In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I have a question on felonies...

ebeshirsebeshirs Member Posts: 382 ✭✭
Is there a way that a convicted felon can get a permit to own (not carry) a firearm? I know of a guy that claims he can get one from the ATF if he sends off for it. He is not on probation. He was convicted and served all of his time. If it matters, he wasn't guilty of a violent crime (like armed robbery). I think it was knowingly concealing stolen property.
I have never heard of any such thing, but I don't want him to be steered wrong. Can you guys help?

"How hard can it be? It can't be rocket science."

Comments

• Options
    carl1124carl1124 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No. Not as long as he is a felon, but he can have his rights given back if ask. He has to be clean for 7 years and the U.S. Attorney General reinstate his rights. That is if they want to, but that almost never happens.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is the correct answer. You can petition the courts to have your right reinstated, and then you're ability to be a citizen depends upon the decision of one who would rather no one was armed (or at least it sure seems that way) Good luck!!!

Death to Tyrants!!!

Jesus Christ believed in the right to keep and bear arms, Luke 22:36.

-Gunphreak
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not true. Most of those Felons have never been caught or convicted, so therefore they can fulfill agendas much easier.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Jesus Christ believed in the right to keep and bear arms, Luke 22:36.

-Gunphreak
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, it is simple. Any judge can restore your civil rights. Then, you apply to BATF, and wait. And wait. You will wait forever, because BATF would restore your gunrights, they just have no budget to do the paperwork. Congress has consistantly zeroed out this item every year.