In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NRA'S HELP??????

lil scoutlil scout Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
I had occasion in the beginning of Oct.to request the advice and help of the NRA of wich I have been a member since 1975,and a life member since 1996.I had the misfortune of having to pawn a Colt Official Police 22 in Sept.A subsequent serial number check showed the gun to have been stolen in 1972 from another state.30 years ago!I have owned the Colt at least 10 years and cannot recall where I aquired it.Checking with the Levy Co.Fl.sheriffs dept. I was informed that Illinois could not determine who the gun was stolen from,BUT wanted the gun returned to Ill.Levy Co.refused.Later that month Ill.instructed Levy Co.to"seize the gun and destroy it,AND pick me up for possession of stolen property!!!!!My answer to this problem from NRA was"Contact a local attorney"I DO NOT CONSIDER THIS HELP!DO any of you?Fortunatly Levy Co.is being VERY helpfull in this matter.I have since notified NRA that I wish to suspend my membership!All they are interested in is monatary "support" to satisfy their insatiable appitite for MONEY.If it were not for us "little"guys,the shooting public,there would be no NRA!!So how about giving US some support when we need it!Incidents such as I've described are why the gov't.gets away with "gun control".How many more of these "little"incidents happen nation wide every day without ANY investigation by the NRA???I thought they were supposed to protect our rights,not religate them to"a local attorney" Thank you;lil scout

Comments

• wclarkwclark Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, You had a stolen gun. This is not a problem thatthe NRA owes to you to fix. I don't want my dues going to help some guy get a gun back the police confiscated. If this were happening all over the country and didn't involve stolen firearms then yees, They NRA shuld intervene. This doesn't come close.

Too Close for Missles,
    Switching to Guns
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like your problem should be with the person who sold you that gun. If you cooperate with the law, they will have no problem dropping charges on you. They want the person who originally stole the gun worst than the person who ended up with it. In the future, be a little more selective on who you buy anything through.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Jesus Christ believed in the right to keep and bear arms, Luke 22:36.

-Gunphreak
  • lil scoutlil scout Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To;W Clark & Gunphreak:Two questions.# 1 Are you familiar with the statute of limitations? # 2 Do YOU rember who you bought a gun from 10+ years,and gid you do a serial # check on the weapon before you bought it??? Nuff said.
  • snake-eyessnake-eyes Member Posts: 869
    edited November -1
    Statue of limitations is right, they have no legal right to confiscate the weapon or press charges....If you stole a brand new 2003 car and buried it, in ten years you could dig it up and apply for a title.
    Be aware of the laws or higher an attorney next time the little fees you would of had to of paid would of been worth clearing your name. NRA uses it's funds for political bribery to keep our gun ownership laws.

The NRA also did not help me with the BATF, they were refusing to give me a C&R FFL because I am not at my home of residence...So I looked up the laws and posted them on a nice little letter addressed to the BATF and said either issue or send me a written statement as to why not issue so I can use it in court...8 months later got my FFL...Thanks ATF for supporting the military you communist pukes. They still wouldn't give me an FFL with my home address but they gave me one for my temporary address...what a bunch of idiots. They said we will not issue you a FFL for your home residence because you will not be there for our FFL 'interview'...well got one in Californistan and haven't had any ATF agents interview me here prior to getting it as they said they would. I bet the guys standing at the front gate with the M-16's wouldn't let them onto the base and scared them away.

*If there is one gun for every 7 people in the world, I'm saving alot of people money*
  • JobooJoboo Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Snake Eyes, you are wrong in your assumption of statute of limitations. Granted if you stole a car and buried it for 10 years, chances are the statute of limitations for auto theft have expired. When you tried to get a title for it, its still a stolen car. You can be charged with other crimes for being in possession of the vehicle.

Statute of limitations only mean they have x number of years to charge someone with a crime once it has been committed and discovered.

So Lil Scout, it is true that the statute of limitations has expired for the theft of the firearm, the crime of possessing stolen property has been recently discovered and the statute has not expired.
    It is unfortunate that you unknowingly bought a firearm stolen 20 years ago. Did you buy it from a shop or an individual?
    edited November -1
    Joboo;You are right in what you say.If I knew who from or where I bought the gun it still wouldn't matter.They (Illinois) can't find out who the gun was even stolen from!!!!SO,How in the hell can the authorities find who I bought the thing from 10 years ago???The gun was reported stolen by someone!!!!I am very lucky to live in an area that is NOT anti-gun.What will happen I don't know.This has been an experience I have never had and will not have again!!I feel sorry for my children and their children for surely they will loose all of their rights,be they firearms related or not.I am NOT an extremist by any means.Hell,I haven't had so much as a speeding ticket for the last 25 years.It just irks me when some form of governmet crams something down my throat and the people who I thought would support me or ay least help me to get support just pass it off to "a local attorney".On top of that the "arm chair key board quarterbacks" have all the answers.Just let one of them have a problem and see who screams the loudest!! In addition to all of the above,the revolver in question is a Colt "Official Police" 22cal.There is no record of it being used in the commision of ANY crime,Illinios cannot find in their records who it was stolen from and yet they want the gun seized and destroyed. WHY??????

Edited by - lil scout on 11/10/2002 21:42:20
    edited November -1
    The statute of limitations for a crime is after they are aware of a crime commited. Receiving stolen property is so long after it has come to their knowledge, not from the day it was stolen. For something like Statutory rape, it is from the time it come to the attention of the parent or authorities that such an act occured and they can prove it. The authorities have to get things in motion from that point. Be sure you know the laws, and be more selective about who you buy things of this nature from. It can save you a lot of BS in the long run.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
    edited November -1
    Thank you one and all for your input and "advice".I will be sure to run a serial # check on every gun I buy from now on at the gunshows as I'm sure you all do!Any "advice"on how to run a check????I am not a member of law enforcement.Then again at age 61 I probably will not be buying any more guns.Rather than fight this issue any further I will give up,forget this mess and go on.
    edited November -1
    Thank you one and all for your input and "advice".I will be sure to run a serial # check on every gun I buy from now on at the gunshows as I'm sure you all do!Any "advice"on how to run a check????I am not a member of law enforcement.Then again at age 61 I probably will not be buying any more guns.Rather than fight this issue any further I will give up,forget this mess and go on.
  • hunter7737hunter7737 Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If Illinois can't produce the correct paper work (original owner), Florida should tell them to kiss they're a** and return the gun to you. Just my two cents worth.
  • sjc1sjc1 Member Posts: 130
    edited November -1
    I assume that the gun came back stolen when someone ran a serial number check and it came from NCIC as stolen. I have not worked with NCIC for over eight years but when I got a hit on something as stolen I would also get the location it was stolen from. From that point I would get in touch with the law enforcement agency that entered the stolen item into NCIC. Now, I would get a copy of the original numbers entered into NCIC from that law enforcement agency along with a copy of the case report. Law enforcement agencies keep case reports from day one, at least the agencies I dealt with, and I dealt with agencies from all over the country. The case report would have the who, what and when. From the case report I would check all of the numbers on the report, the NCIC numbers and the numbers on what I had. What I am getting at is, there may have been an incorrect number entered somewhere along the line.
    edited November -1
    To sjc1 This is the ONLY response I have had that made sense from a legal point.Thank you!!! I think the matter is resolved,although I'm not sure as yet.
  • JDFRICKJDFRICK Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only know 1 thing about the great state of IL.Thier not very friendly towards the rights,and freedoms of gun owners.

JIM FRICK
    edited November -1
    At least that "Great" State of Illinois doesn't have someone like Emperor Gray Davis pulling the strings of "Justice".

Anyone know why The Sozialist Republik of Kalifornistan calls their Department of Justice such?? With all the lack of proper interpretations and liberal conclusions devised through it, I think "Department of Injustice" would be more appropriate.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NRA does not care about gun owners, they said so in a recent article in their "1st freedom" magazine. The article was about how the Supreme court refused to hear the emerson case. The NRA saw this as a victory, because of Ashcrofts ridiculous position on the second amendment, that there is an individual right, but the government can infringe on it whenever the government feels it is appropriate. The NRA said something to the effect that it was a victory, cause of Ashcrofts statement, AND THAT IT IS NOT THEIR CONCERN WHAT HAPPENS TO THE INDIVIDUAL(EMERSON), BUT ONLY THE SECOND AMENDMENT. I guess the NRA views the second amendment as existing in some type of vacuum, and does not exist to protect individuals, it is there for governments to pay lip service to.

"Sometimes the people have to give up some individual rights for the safety of society."
    -Bill Clinton(MTV interview)
  • Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lil Scout: You are correct about the Keyboard Heros. In General: The American Public are all talk - no action. The Gestapo is organized, we are not, The Gestapo are resolute, we are not, The Gestapo has the time and finances to pursue, we don't. The Gestapo has a single minded purpose, we are usually confused and overwhelmed. The Gestapo are being paid by us??? Go Figure (They think Sarah Brady and Rosie are paying them). I was, and still am in Dire need of Help with the ATF, They have confiscated all of my guns but brought no charges. I requestedd help or advice from the NRA a year ago, Nothing came here by mail, FAX, or Phone, except the NRA asking me to pay dues a couple years ahead if possible. As for Stolen Guns; There probably has never been a Gun Store in Histoy, having 100 guns or more, that at least one was not stolen. (May have been stolen by Jessie James.) This is the unique situation regarding guns. Cars are regestered and have VIN numbers, Knives are not, and usually have no number, guns are not regestered but most have numbers. Sarah thinks; Only the ATF, FBI, and her bodyguard should have guns, (US Military, covering everyones * of course). (But if and when they get out of the Military, they give up their guns. This mentality is called: "Hurrah for me, and to hell with you".

Ronnie G. Perkins
    edited November -1
    As I said in the other post, I never saw a BATFag I didn't have extreme contempt for, and you can quote that!!! Regardless of both of your sentiments, I am ON YOUR SIDE!!! For what it is worth, now, all I wanted to know was "What imaginary law did you break?" Upon further looking into lil scout's problem, even he may have been buried alive in b_llsh_t. (I need to buy a vowel)

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • snake-eyessnake-eyes Member Posts: 869
    edited November -1
    With Campaign Finance Reform the NRA will have no power to protect (bribe) our interests and will be utterly useless. Continuing to be a member will only pay for someone's dinner at some big banquet.

*In 1909 Henry Ford created the Model T and it got around 30mpg..today's Ford's may be safer and more luxurious but in 100 years we've not really gotten further on a gallon of gasoline have we?*
    edited November -1
    I hear that.

In the courts, a number of plaintiffs are challeging the Incumbent Protection through Sedition Act, and by the sounds of it, that part will be declared unconstitutional. If it doesn't, we are looking true incompetence right in the face.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your input.I have been gone for over a week to visit my mom in Ohio.She's 81 and still giong strong.I agree with each and every one of you,even if it doesn't agree with what I've said.From what I can see(and this is only MY opinion!)the NRA has turned into another (money grabbing)orginazition.They do not give a sh-t(I have to purchase some vowels also)about the shooting public any more!!All they are interested in is the BIG MONEY shooting industry and firearms manufacturers.As I said before"If it were not for us,the little guys,the shooting public.There would be no shooting industry or firearams manufacturing industry,and ,MOST important,NO NRA!!!!!!!! WAKE UP BOYS!!!!!! WE have been here LONG before you,and WE will be here long after you "dine and dance" yourself into the"grave"!!! So long for now.KEEP FIGHTING.If you give in ALL is lost!!!! P.S I did,and WON!!!!!!!
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your input.I have been gone for over a week to visit my mom in Ohio.She's 81 and still giong strong.I agree with each and every one of you,even if it doesn't agree with what I've said.From what I can see(and this is only MY opinion!)the NRA has turned into another (money grabbing)orginazition.They do not give a sh-t(I have to purchase some vowels also)about the shooting public any more!!All they are interested in is the BIG MONEY shooting industry and firearms manufacturers.As I said before"If it were not for us,the little guys,the shooting public.There would be no shooting industry or firearams manufacturing industry,and ,MOST important,NO NRA!!!!!!!! WAKE UP BOYS!!!!!! WE have been here LONG before you,and WE will be here long after you "dine and dance" yourself into the"grave"!!! So long for now.KEEP FIGHTING.If you give in ALL is lost!!!! P.S I did,and WON!!!!!!!Just one more thing and I will get off of my "soapbox".I was raised to beleive the NRA was our champion in the fight.Yes,"Gunphreak"I know I'm an old,blind senile fool.I have some 1926-7-8 magazines that absolutly "bow down" and worship the NRA!!!!That's when they were in their prime!!!NOW,they have "out lived their usefullness" just as the USW,UAW,UCW,Teamsters and who ever else has put THEIR OWN INTERESTS,and insatiatable appetite for money ahead of the well being and best interests of the people they are supposed to be representing!!!! They will fall like the dinosaures,into their own sh-t.THEN we will be left to continue just as we have since the beginning.We,man kind,are survivors!!!!Ignore them,start your own orginazation,do what ever it takes to show them we do not need them.They need US!!!!Since notifying NRA of my desire to cancel my "Life"membership and cease sending any further literature requesting "donations"pledges"or what ever they want for money I have not gotten one more bit of correspondence from them.This to me shows how they feel about us,the "little guys".They could care less!!!What's one guy???Let 1,000 guys or 5,000 guys drop out,then I would bet you will get their attention!!!! See Ya Have A Good Day

Edited by - lil scout on 12/04/2002 20:43:47
    edited November -1
    You did get the gun back, right??? I'm glad you won, really. In this day and age, a judge and jury system seems to have outlasted its usefullness as well, hasn't it???

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
    edited November -1
    I DID NOT say I got the gun back!!!All I said was "I won". KISS.Let's leave it at that.
    edited November -1
    "Resistance to Tyrants is obedience to God"

Ronnie G. Perkins
    edited November -1
    They hate it when we fight back

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I am 60 and my daughter is 20. We are both hardcore NRA supporters. However, I have long felt the NRA doesn't much value any common, indivudual member, his/her particular problem or any suggestions from the commom members. But I have just chalked it up to the same situation you would find with, for example, a private in the U.S. Army. He/she doesn't get much recognition but at least is part of a large scale organization that usually works for the "greater good". I am not ready to quit the NRA as I think it does more good than harm. I just continue to send in my $35.00 dues, let the NRA do it's thing, while I look for other ways to help with the pro-gun rights struggle.

if they don't want us to have guns for self defense, what do they want us to have?
    edited November -1
    You might find the Gunowners of America a better organization to support. And I definitely advise you to by the Gram'pa Jack series from JPFO. That will give you as much ammo to destroy gun control on an individual level, while GOA fights on the bigger one. NRA doesn't seem to impress me so much, anymore.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
    edited November -1
    In response to "tr fox".I used to feel the same way.They might not be the best but they are not the least.NRA no longer gives a s--t for the little guys.They have gone the same route as the other corporations in the U.S.BOTTOM LINE!!!!Thats all important.The aggravating thing is the NRA as well as the T.V."Evangalists"are TAX EXEMPT!!!!!They are "Not for profit" orginazations.That's a joke.Some one is getting some BIG salaries some where other wise the "boys" would not be able to afford their Rolex watches,$500 suits, dinner parties,etc,etc,etc.How many "local"officers from the various NRA branches do you see at the "dinner"parties.NONE.I know of at least 3 people who have been "Life Members"for over 40 years and do not want to hear this degrading of the NRA!! They are the ones who need to be recognized and honered.Not Charlton Heston,or Wayne La Pierre(sp?)They are the ones who held this thing together all these years!!! And now.For what?They are just another $35.00 per year,just like you.This is going nowhere.I have a VERY sour taste in my mouth from the NRA,and I will not continue to burden or bore you with with my admonations of this orginazation. I did what I felt needed doing,and that is all I can do.What you do is your business,and I have no right to criticize or try to force my feelings on you.Thank for your"ears".(Eyes actually).Have a good day.Merry Christmas and HAPPY New Year!!!!
    edited November -1
    Me either. I've given my suggestions. I like Larry Pratt's organization, mostly because of its unwillingness to yield. The JPFO, also one of the strong unyielding sorts, kind of comes off a bit too aggressive, but in all seriousness, I would rather be fighting alongside a rabid aggressive combatant than a completely spineless wimp, any day. Aaron Zelman is a good resource for information that is both formidable and merciless to the absolutely stupid effect of the anti-American crowd. I support both.

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
    edited November -1
    Damn funny ~ How did Mass. get a gun on their quarter? Where did the Boston Tea Party Mentallity go? Can you expect less from the Land Of Barney Franks? (I love you - You love me). Washington, D.C. = The Murder Capital of the World! ( and they tell us about stopping crime?) Washington, D.C.= Pennsylvania Ave= Congressmen, Aids, lackeys, walking down the Hallowed Streets of the Worlds seat of Democracy while Vietnamese are vending from Trailers and the Homeless lay on park benches with news papers over their face? An't Capitalizm wonderfull? The Beautiful Potomac River dumps into the Chesapeake Bay, which inturn dumps into the Atlantic Ocean. Go to Newburg, Morgantown, or Cobb Island, witness the Hyperdermic Needles, Rubber Gloves and Body parts laying on the Beach. The Legacy we are leaving?Tells alot about our priorites.

Ronnie G. Perkins
    edited November -1
    I hear that Ronnie[:(]

[?]At exactly what point did we all lose control[?]

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.