In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Brady Bunch Sues Again

mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sniper Victims' Families Sue Gunmaker
Thu Jan 16, 2:36 PM ET

By MELANTHIA MITCHELL, Associated Press Writer

SEATTLE - Relatives of two Washington, D.C.-area sniper victims filed suit Thursday against a gun manufacturer and store linked to the Bushmaster XM15 assault rifle used in the deadly attacks.

Relatives of victims James "Sonny" Buchanan and Conrad Johnson claim the gunmaker and store showed "gross negligence" that "caused injuries and death," according to the complaint. The families are represented by the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

The case seeks unspecified damages and names Bull's Eye Shooter Supply of Tacoma, which either sold or lost the rifle in a theft; store owners Brian Borgelt and Charles Carr; Bushmaster Firearms Inc. of Windham, Maine; and sniper defendants John Allen Muhammad and Lee Malvo.

"We plan to show that less than three months after Bull's Eye received the Bushmaster assault rifle in its store, the firearm 'disappeared,' traveled across the country and was used in the sniper attacks," Seattle attorney Paul Luvera said in a statement Thursday.

"Such a swift 'time to crime' is highly indicative of grossly negligent sales and distribution practices on the part of Bull's Eye and the gun industry defendant," he said.

Buchanan's sister, Vickie Snyder of Rockville, Md., said she hoped that, ultimately, there would be more control over who obtains firearms.

"I guess I really hope the shops will be more responsible in their paperwork and the manufacturers will be more responsible about who they sell guns to," she said.

Buchanan, 39, was killed Oct. 3 while mowing grass at a car dealership near White Flint Mall; Johnson, 35, a bus driver, was killed on Oct. 22 in Aspen Hill, Md.

Muhammad and Malvo are accused of killing 13 people and wounding five others in Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C. They are being tried first in Virginia in separate case, and both could face the death penalty.

Dennis Henigan, legal director of the Brady Center, said at least three more families of sniper victims plan to join the lawsuit soon.

The organization has filed more than two dozen similar suits on behalf of municipalities and individuals.

"This assault rifle, which served the snipers' deadly purposes so well, did not fall from the sky into their hands," Henigan said.

The Bull's Eye owners didn't return phone calls for comment. Investigators are trying to determine how Muhammad and Malvo wound up with the rifle.

Allen Faraday, vice president of administration for Bushmaster, said the company did nothing wrong and sold the rifle legally to a firearms dealer.

"We naturally don't feel it's legitimate," Faraday said of the lawsuit. "Nowadays, lawyers are looking to file lawsuits wherever they can."

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead

Comments

• Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's never the criminal's fault, is it?? You would think Bushmaster and Bull's Eye hired these two pieces of trash to carry the murders out, themselves.

So, let me get this straight, I can have my guns STOLEN from me, which would absolutely suck!!, and then I can be also liable for any damages done with them from those who stole it from me??? That is a crock of BS!!!!

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Why are they doing this? Do you think the snipers have deep pockets? Just a nasty co-op between gun-grabbers and bloodsuckers. Each of them see and opportunity to advance their cause.
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, only the snipers are truly guilty, and the gun grabbers know that everyone knows that! So if they name them as co-defendants, they can make some sort of headway and say "See? We won!" But the only guilty ones to gun grabbers are the dealers and manufacturers. They could care less about criminals. They are using them as all ambulance chasing attorneys do: to bleed the pockets of the manufacturers and put them out of business. As the gun control freaks realize that it's nearly impossible to legislate away our rights, they want to circumvent the law and make it just too expensive for the average Joe to buy a gun. (The rich limousine liberals can always have theirs or hire armed guards to do it for them). Judicial activism will destroy the Constitution, because the courts override both the legislature and executive branches of government.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The idea that they can own guns be we shouldn't will assure one thing. When the day arrives for the 80 million+ gun owners to get off their * and fight, I am positive the liberal, the ambulance chaser, and any other form of jackal that has tried to control us will be hunted to extinction.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.