In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

USPS question

elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
I went in to my local post office today to send a rifle for repair.
All that was in the box was a Mauser barreled reciever and another
barrel. Heres my question. The lady at the counter ask me what the box had in it. I told her what was in it. She then took 20 minutes looking in books and making phone calls to find out if I could send it. She finally called someone that told her I could not ship it because I am not a FFL dealer. Since when did this happen? I always
was told if you are shipping to a FFL holding gunsmith it was ok to ship to them. Am I right or is she right? or can someone tell me where
to find out about this.

bull.txt
col elect1mike Illinois
volinters RRG
O give me a home where no democrats roam

Comments

• Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although I've never heard of it to be like that, I'm sure it's on the books somewhere. Really, it's a bunch of nonsense. The part of the gun you sent, did it have serial numbers??? If it did, you probably needed a copy of the license signed in red or blue ink in order to send it, to assure it was being sent to a FFL holder.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • Options
    snake-eyessnake-eyes Member Posts: 869
    edited November -1
    Anything manufactured prior to 1898 requires no ffl, usps reg C024.1.3 covers the rules and reffers to gun control act of 1968,public law 90-618,18 usc 921,27 cfr 178.

Go here:http://pe.usps.gov/

type in firearms.

Being an Officer of the Redneck Republican Guard allows you to ship firearms without an FFL if the post office accepts the organization. Read the Reg.

Let's change the laws and quit bickering about them. One man CAN change the status quo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok guys I talked to BATF and heres the stuff right from there regs.
    non lic. people can in fact send shotguns or rifles to a FFL dealer.
    no handguns tho. This is regulation #B8 in there FAQs about non licensee page 10 of 45 online.

bull.txt
    col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
  • Options
    ruger53ruger53 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only a matter of time before they change that too.

When you strap on your gun, you are telling Chuck Schumer, Dianne Feinstein, Sarah Brady, Hillary & Bill Clinton and Josh Sugarmann to go to hell, and it feels good.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know I keep going on this but when I took a copy of the regulations
    into my post office the post master said I don't care what it says I will not accept firearms through this office. Guess I will have to drive 15 miles to next nearest post office if I want to mail firearms.

bull.txt
    col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go up the chain of command ladder in the P.O. until I found someone high enough to force this person to go by the book. He can not arbitrarily decide what, and what not, to accept. He will not like you, because if you go high enough to make him do his job, sh*t rolls down hill, and he will be catching it. It does work though, I have done it.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    snake-eyessnake-eyes Member Posts: 869
    edited November -1
    I believe if you ship a firearm legally via usps and don't tell the clerk whats in the box but mail a statement to the postmaster you are shipping a firearm legally via the mail your behind is covered.

Let's change the laws and quit bickering about them. One man CAN change the status quo.
  • Options
    Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dear Sir: The Federal Fireams Regulations States: It is legal to ship firearms via US Postal. The Post Office Request there be nothing on the Package Stating there is a weapon inside. Do not inform the Postal Clerk of what is being shipped. Guns being shipped require a C& R License on the recieving end (if they are prior to 1955) or a FFL if the guns are after 1955. (THE RECEIVING END). Any Gun Prior to 1899 is not considerd a gun, but an antique. Consider: Most Post Office Employees are as confused about the ATF Regulations as we. The Offical Request by the US Post Master General: "Do not declare or mark the container in any way discribing the contents." I believe the Rational behind this statement to be = Theft by postal workers if they knew what the package contained.

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • Options
    GunGoneGunGone Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same trouble with the IDIOTS at UPS!
    I agree its time to change the law, not gripe about it.
    The big Brown in UPS stinks and is how they do business.
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can end the discussion with your postal employee very simply as under 4.0(Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms) Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions of the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice. This if from the Postal Regulations, C024.23.0 (Rifles and Shotguns). Have the postal clerk summons the postmaster and let the postmaster argue with ATF not you. If that doesn't work make a formal complaint.