In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

selling guns legally

bahkrlhlbahkrlhl Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
I live in Alabama and bought several guns through Gunbroker, I bought several new guns at very good prices. There are no gun dealers close that can offer prices at close to what I paid, my question is can I sell these guns and make a profit and still be legal? I understand that I need to sell only to interstate and may be a good idea to get copy of drivers license but what does the ATF say about selling for a profit and how many can you sell for a profit?

Thanks in advance for your help ...........Brad

Comments

• Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bahkrlhl
    I live in Alabama and bought several guns through Gunbroker, I bought several new guns at very good prices. There are no gun dealers close that can offer prices at close to what I paid, my question is can I sell these guns and make a profit and still be legal? I understand that I need to sell only to interstate and may be a good idea to get copy of drivers license but what does the ATF say about selling for a profit and how many can you sell for a profit?

You are not SUPPOSED to profit from gun sales, without an FFL. That said, sometimes it happens. You are allowed to sell guns "from your personal collection", and there is no law against making a profit, but you aren't supposed to make a practice of it. As a good rule of thumb, you ought to hold on to each gun for at least 6 months for selling it. That way, it looks like you are just trying new things for your collection, and making room for new items. Also, it's probably a good idea to make no more than 10 transactions a year. More than that, and it looks like you have a business going. Fact is, the ATF has no way of knowing if you have made a private sale, short of asking you or your customer, so it's not likely that trouble will find you, if you don't do anything to attract it. (Like, say, advertising yourself as a gun business) Bear in mind, private sales can only be done legally with residents of your same state, and it is a REAL good idea to get the ID of the buyer, and keep records of the serial numbers of the weapons you sold them. Selling online, like here at GB, is ok, because this is mostly interstate, and you must therefore use an FFL for the transfer.

All this according to my local ATF office.

Iraqi: "Is it true that only 13% of American kids can find Iraq on a map?"
    American reporter: "Yes, but all 13% are Marines"

"Women should always wear tight clothes, and men should carry powerful handguns." - Calvin
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is good advice. Every part of it.

People can be nailed for purchasing a gun and then selling it for profit. I believe that can be construed a "gun running", and you can bet it carries a steep penalty.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • Options
    wolfenwolfen Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well shipping guns interstate to Dealers is not a problem. However if you are transporting guns over State lines without a FFL you are putting yourself at risk with Federal Law. The Feds actualy I believe have a number below which you are not considerd to be a dealer, and above you are, I think it used to be twenty guns per year. Now I cant say, Check with your local ATF office.
    Well I would inject a word of caution,( maybe paranoia ) about private sales. We all remember the D.C. Sniper incident. The Dealer and Manufacturer are being sued by the Brady Bunch. How about Wrongful Death suits? I am a Dealer and it worries me that someone I sell a gun to may use it in a crime. After which the Family may decide to bring suit against me. I could have done everything I was supposed to do and still lose everything defending myself. In a private sale you have no protection at all, none. You did no background and the guy could be a murder. If you use a Dealer to do the background paperwork at least theres a little protection for you.

David R. Kelley
  • Options
    snake-eyessnake-eyes Member Posts: 869
    edited November -1
    Boy that subject really burns me....What if that old chevy you sold to some 16 year old was used in a car acident to kill a bus load of nunns...They gonna start sueing the person who sold the car to the kid next?

Let's change the laws and quit bickering about them. One man CAN change the status quo.