In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

KS MEMBERS PLEASE READ

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
Maybe someone a lot smarter than me can answer this question. Here in KS we aren't allowed concealed carry and in many, many towns and cities we can't even carry a visible gun. As far as that goes, those same towns and cities even have passed laws prohibiting concealed carry of anything that you could use to actually do a good job of defending yourself or family. Now I know this, and worse is true of many, many states. But here in KS we seem to have one critical difference that a lot of states (like N.Y. & N.J. and Calif) don't have: our state constitution bill of rights clearly states, with no confusing language, that the citizens have the right to bear arms. And unlike, for example, the Missouri state constitution bill of rights, the KS bill of rights doesn't prohibit carrying concealed weapons. Now maybe I am naive, but I always thhought that if a state constitution doesn't violate the U.S. constitution or any federal law, then that state constituion was the "law of the land" and all the rights mentioned in the bill of rights were the actual rights the citizens could enjoy. and this of course would mean that no dinky little town could pass a law that would deny those rights. So, finally here is my question. If I am correct then how can they arrest me if I am caught with a concealed weapon (gun, expandable baton, etc). Larry

if they don't want us to have guns for self defense, what do they want us to have?

Comments

• Options
    wallacejacobcwallacejacobc Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hear ya man, it sucks.
  • Options
    ZipZip Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You make sense....It sounds logical....Try asking your representative before you get arrested. Ask an attorney before you ever need one. You seem to have done some homework already.; Follow up. I am from Ks, my husband is from Missouri, I admire the Ks laws. I am interested in what you find out from your local representatives or an attorney. I also know that some of the Ks local colleges have law schools interested in researching issues like this. Contact the Washburn University law school...they might like the challenge... But you will get further if you don't get arrested first.......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Zip, thanks for your response. When I post about what appears to be our state constituional rights being violated I usually don't expect much. But I might add that you and thousands of others should also start asking questions. Even the gun haters should be offended if our state, county and city KS govts. are routinely denying us our right to keep and bear arms as apparently granted in our KS constitution. The reason being that if the govts. can so easily deny us one of the bill of rights, then what is to stop them from denying us all of our bill of rights? So too the anti-gunners I would say that if they don't want us to have the right to carry arms, then change the KS constitution so that the right to carry is not in there. It is a huge mistake to let the govt. do what is perceived by some as "good" but for a "bad" reason. And that bad reason would be blatant violation of KS citizens bill of rights by all KS govts. Where is the state wide outrage over this situation? Larry

if they don't want us to have guns for self defense, what do they want us to have?
  • Options
    muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    People are distracted.
    For the masses:If it's not on CNN or FOXNEWS or the news paper,they just arn't aware.We all know the Media is bought and paid for.
    To much complacency,too much propaganda.too much "Everybody Loves Raymond.
    If your not outraged your not paying attention!!

Muggster

If your not outraged,your not paying attention
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Muggster, then those of us who are aware and want to change things we need to find a way to link up. We need to find some way to pool our resources, ideas, votes and efforts. We need to find a way for all sincere, interested citizens to speak out in one loud roar of a voice, rather than each of us squeaking in our little corner. I am a long term member of the NRA and I do what I can. But we are still losing the battle not only with gun rights but with the idea of the basic right of self defense as a last resort. Have your checked online your own state constitution to see what rights it gives you and then compared that to your county and expecially your city laws that cancel many of not of those constitutional rights. Something needs to be done and if we don't do it, who will? Got any ideas? Larry

• Options
    hardtymshardtyms Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi , From Kansas also my opinion is to just carry and and forget it whats my business is is nobody elses I know it would be great if it was legal to conceal and carry but like a guy told me one day "he would rather be alive and fighting in court for defending his life than laying dead in the ground due to some low life killing him because he was un armed" I wish the laws would change also I heard a story one day a woman turned a guy in because he was concealing a gun and they asked her if it was concealed than how did you see it??

GUN CONTROL!!! Means hitting your target!!!! ((o))
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Well, I see three options, 1) Bend over and take it like the lib's want 2) Hire a bunch of scumbag lawyers, fork out a couple mill,(or figure out how the govt. does it and appropriate the necessary funds) and have the law that shouldn't even be there,(like all the rest of them) struck down. As that is not a viable option to many of us (seems the scumbags have all the money) then 3)utilize your God given 2nd ammendment right as the framers intended. God bless the founders for leaving that option open. You would think they might've had some experience with situations like this.....hmmm

Gun control: Leaving my gun holstered when some idiot needs to be taught a lesson.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hardtyms: As long as you are among of the 90% of the citizens who are honest and reliable, I personally would have no objection to doing as you say and just go ahead and carry concealed in case some criminal trys to harm you or your loved ones and the police are not around. However, there is a very definate danger to you in doing this. People in law enforcement and the justice system know that a citizen can "win" but still "lose" big time. If you are arrested for violating the carry law you will have to spend more money than the average person can afford to defend yourself. And even if you win you will have to carry for a lifetime the fact that you were arrested. This can reduce the type of jobs you can apply for, your credit rating, and your chance to carry legally if a CCW law is ever passed in KS. Itg could effect even your right own guns or even who you can and cannot associate with. Believe me on this because even though I have never personally suffered through this, I have been close to those who have. Larry