In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Do you truly understand the 2nd Amendment?

JohnsmilesJohnsmiles Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
Or do you think it has something to do with your right to defend yourself? Actually it doesn't....
Hi. My name is John and I am new here. And maybe this subject has been raised and discussed many times before in here. If so my apologies. But to be honest I will be surprised if what I say here has already been said. So far I have talked to no one who has looked at it quite from this point of view. Or at least no one who has put it into words maybe might be closer.
In my opinion, the 2nd Amendment has absolutely no connection with a persons right to protect or defend themselves, either at home or anywhere else. At the time this was written we pretty much spoke plainly and to the point. We did not have lawyers and politicians twisting and corrupting the words so much as to make them incomprehensible to laymen. And the right to defend yourself or your loved ones was a given. If someone threatened you or yours, you did whatever you had to do period. It has taken many years to befuddle our laws to the point where today few people are really sure exactly what the law says about anything.
But the 2nd Amendment.....was not about individuals rights. It was written at a time when we had just denounced and taken power away from a corrupt government taxing system. We had the Boston tea party to kick things off. We were being taxed to death and we were sick of it. And we went to war to end it. War with out own THEN ruling class. And we won! We won because of many things, but we won that battle by taking up our guns and taking power away from a corrupt government. And we wrote the 2nd Amendment to insure that, should we one day be faced by a government gone bad, we would still have the means to take that power away. THAT is why the 2nd Amendment is so important to us all, and such a knife at the troat of most politicians. With the current state of our government and legal system, I am amazed that we have not made any serious move to do so long ago. But anyway, that is what the 2nd Amendment means....It means 'we the people' still have the right AND the power to overthrow a government no longer 'FOR the people' but only "for themselves". Just like the last one we did away with.
When the issue comes up, do not merely see your family and friends helpless to defend themselves, but truly see the whole picture. See your family, friends and your childrens children helpless to stand up to anything ever again if we ever allow them to take away our guns.
That is how I see the 2nd Amendment. Not as a means to protect me from my neighbor, but as a means to protect me from my government.
Thanks for your time. I hope you see a point or two here to think about,
John

Comments

• Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    john, thanks for posting your thoughts which very much match mine. SOME OF US on these GB.com forums share your thoughts. None of the left-wing, liberal, Facists agree with us.

if they don't want us to have guns for self defense, what do they want us to have?
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    john, thanks for posting your thoughts which very much match mine. SOME OF US on these GB.com forums share your thoughts. None of the left-wing, liberal, Facists agree with us.

if they don't want us to have guns for self defense, what do they want us to have?
  • Options
    wolfenwolfen Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also agree with John, and that is my understanding also. That is why I posted the bit about our Calif. Attorny General. Thank you for accurately expressing the intent of the 2nd ammendment. David

David R. Kelley
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Second Amendment... it ain't about duck huntin'!!!

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    John, first off, welcome to the GB forums.
    Second, yes this has been discussed, quite a few times.
    I think the majority of the members here agree,
    that the 2nd was written for the reasons you stated.
    Stick around, you might get to like it here.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    Your right John. The 2nd amendment was written to protect us the
    people from a tyrannical government. The right to protect ourselves
    and our families, and others who are helpless, is a god given
    right. This right is not to be taken away by anyone.
  • Options
    muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Count me in.It's hard to believe that alot of people don't understand this simple concept.

Muggster
  • Options
    FrankHdzFrankHdz Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The second Amendment scares the hell out of those left wing nuts. Specially the democrat politicians. They fight so had to take that right away so that they can do with Americans as they please. Frankly they scare me and their way of thinking. By the way I exercised my right to own a gun yesterday for the first time. And I am proud that I did so.
  • Options
    SKS762SKS762 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves...and include all men capable of bearing arms." (Richard Henry Lee, Additional Letters from the Federal Farmer (1788) at 169)

"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and EVERY other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of EITHER the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people" (Tench Coxe, Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788)

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the PEOPLE at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7,

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

" 'The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.' The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of EVERY description, and not such merely as are used by the milita, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree; and all this for the important end to be attained: the rearing up and qualifying a well-regulated militia, so vitally necessary to the security of a free State. Our opinion is that any law, State or Federal, is repugnant to the Constitution, and void, which contravenes this right." [Nunn vs. State, 1 Ga. (1 Kel.) 243, at 251 (1846)]

I think what I understand, is that the 2nd amendment is not about shooting deer, or paper targets with .22 caliber's only. Who do you think is right? Fienstein? Or Jefferson? I don't know what version of the U.S. constitution our Senators and/or Reps are using, but have you seen anywhere in the constitution about the right of the GOVERMENT to keep and bear arms only?

"To prohibit a citizen from wearing or carrying a war arm . . . is an unwarranted restriction upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of constitutional privilege." [Wilson v. State, 33 Ark. 557, at 560, 34 Am. Rep. 52, at 54 (1878)]
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is food for thought for liberals:

1. How can it be that "The People" is referred in the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 9th Amendment means "The People", but then it means "The State" in the 2nd Amendment? Well, then they can also explain how it is that the 10th Amendment differentiates between "The State" and "The People". It was no mistake.

2. The 2nd Amendment is not an unlimited right. Guess again. The 2nd Amendment has NO conditional or discretionary phrases in it. Take for example, the 3rd Amendment, which states, "...but in a manner prescribed by law.", or the 4th Amendment, wich states,"..against unreasonable searches... upon probable cause.", or the 8th Amendment, which states,"Excessive bail..nor excessive fines...nor unusual punishments." Was this an accident? Absolutely not!!!

3. If it is absolute, then why don't children or prisoners have access to this? Simple. Because children aren't permitted to own anything until they are adults. They enjoy a life that has their parents answering for what they do wrong. Prisoners are not permitted to own property while imprisoned. They sacked that right by being criminals, an are in a state of servitude. But, upon release, should have that right reinstated (thanks to the 13th Amendment) along with all the rest of them. (Note: I would fully agree with this if prison wasn't such an inviting place to go fo those who break the laws)

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.