In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Assault rifles in California

jerm909jerm909 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
How's it goin? I recently started getting into guns the past year. I enjoy shooting assault rifles but the only thing i can own in Cal is a sks with only 10 rounds. How can i get a ak or ar-15 here or even building one. I was thinking of going to Arizona or Nevada and smuggling one back. What are the consenquences?

Comments

• Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    For one thing, you can have the Feds and California arguing over which one sends you to jail. The Feds for illegal purchase and California for illegal possession and illegal importing of an assault weapon.

All of these charges are felonies.

As a resident of California, you cannot purchase any firearms in another state unless you have them shipped to a California dealer for transfer to you.

Yes, I know it sucks.
  • Options
    nitrouznitrouz Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Consequences? Meeting your District Attorney and hand-cuffs. Possibly losing the right to ever own a firearm again, fines, jail time, etc.

They won't sell you a firearm in Arizona or Nevada if you have a out of state or California drivers license.

Thus since no one will ever sell you a 'Assault Weapon', buy a California legal AR-15 from Atlantic Arms. It has a permanently affixed ten round mag so you can take it to the shooting range. There is also a AK47 that is now California legal, they put a pump on it instead of it being semi-auto. Fires just as fast. Stupid ain't it?

If you give a crap about getting rid of California's 'Assault Weapon' regulations email this guy and ask what you can do to help him.
    http://www.gwgorski.com/html/news.html

He's the only Attorney in California fighting for your rights.
  • Options
    Delta514Delta514 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally am looking forward to fishing from the Coast of Colorado. But! I know you want a serious suggestion: Sorry! I don't have one. I'm still trying to determine whom it was, that first termed "Assault Weapon"? (or the 1 that has assumed; Many have been bayonetted, thus a Bayonet Lug is worse than the Bayonet?

Statistics state: More people die in the USA every year from Suicide than Homicide? Appx. 80 thousand per year commit Suicide. (someone should outlaw it). The major problem with Suicide: The wrong people are commiting it). I think it may be the pressure = 14.7 lbs per square inch, before Government Control.

Some used to say: "Crime wouldn't pay if the Government ran it", that statement no longer applies. 2003 = "Government Pays, because Crime Runs it". (Local all the way to Federal)

Yes! My Friend, I wish I had the answer for you, Alas: Government runs by consent of the Governed. Meaning: We all may have to find another Country and give this one too the Chicanos.[xx(]

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I say we all sane folk go to Alaska and make the State secede. Oh yeah, we're keeping the oil and nukes to keep the lower 48 from stopping us.....It could work.
  • Options
    0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is correct Marine: There are Kalifornia Legal AR's & AK's - Prollum wid dat? The Newly inacted POLICE STATE are issued them. (and of course Dianne Feinstein's Security Guards). Anyone else here from Kalifornia? Kalifornia and New York are great places to be from. (far away from).

If there are any Americans left in Kalifornia or New York: Check this out> Kentucky has a Statue of Daniel Boone; on the base is inscribed: Bring to us your sorry, poor cowardly azzes, yearning to be free. We lift our Burning Cigarettes toward the Golden shore(aka: Ohio River). small letters: But don't expect us to do what you should have done for yourself.

The US Capital Should be RICHMOND,Va[;)]

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The feds can argue over which one of them sends me to jail if i get caught. My plan is to get a nevada i.d and use my sister's house as the address since she lives in vegas, then go to the gun store show them my i.d and get the gun. Drive back to cali and be a proud owner of a firearm thats illegal to own in my area.It's really pissing me off that I can get drafted and fight for my country with a m-16 but i can't own one.I work and pay taxes I have no felonies why should other Americans be able to own rifles and I can't it's really bull****.Thank you to all the local gangbangers for this ****.quote:Originally posted by EOD Guy
    For one thing, you can have the Feds and California arguing over which one sends you to jail. The Feds for illegal purchase and California for illegal possession and illegal importing of an assault weapon.

All of these charges are felonies.

As a resident of California, you cannot purchase any firearms in another state unless you have them shipped to a California dealer for transfer to you.

Yes, I know it sucks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for trying to help me find a weapon i can own but those California legal ar-15's and Ak's suck. The AR-15 only holds 10 rounds that sucks.The Cal legal AK has a damn pump on it that's really hilarious.quote:Originally posted by 0311marine
    they do make cali legal ar15 's and ak's
    http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=9550532

SEMPER FI
  • Options
    sparkie_40sparkie_40 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D]i have suggestion, move the hell out of kalifornia. then you dont have to go to such trouble to get a danged ole sks, ak or ar series rifle. that is if you got to have one that bad. one more thought, if you call it that, it aint how many you got in a clip, it's how many you put in your target.

anti-gunners, want my guns? come get em, if you're able.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It really is a Shame: I would think Kalifornia would be the best place for "ASSAULT RIFLES"? In time, it would tone things down a bit, and "WE" would not be subject to their ignorance and "ONE SIZE FITS ALL LAWS". [:(!]

Ronnie G. Perkins
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    I just cannot understand why one stays in such a place,write it off get out....geez....Delta,we always thought Bangor Maine would do....you r write tho...awful close to Canada....sigh.....Alaska?I got friends there that say the yuppies r destroyin it too[V]Hey I'm jus a contry boy....just wanna live in peace,like the woods,maybe we outa buy a state,no that wouldn't do,well part of a state,no the feds would see itr as a hostile takeover...[xx(]
  • Options
    imadorkimadork Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    My plan is to get a nevada i.d and use my sister's house as the address since she lives in vegas, then go to the gun store show them my i.d and get the gun. Drive back to cali and be a proud owner of a firearm thats illegal to own in my area.

That's an ok plan, but what you should do is ask your sister to buy one and then have her just give it to you (illegal since you're a CA resident but whatever), that way there's no paper trail. I live here and I was thinking of doing the same thing but decided I'd rather have an M1A instead. It really comes down to risk v. reward. You're right, it would be cool to have a real AR. If you use your head, you'll be able to keep it hidden from public view and from the attention of the authorities. Just be careful which ranges you take it to, and I really hope you didn't register on this site with a traceable email address. The risk is that, unlike possession of an unregistered assault weapon (an alternate felony/misdemeanor used if you failed to register your AR after the ban), importation, transportation, gift, or manufacture of an assault weapon is a straight felony. Which you would be charged with after they trace the serial # to Nevada after finding the AR in your car.

It's medium risk, high reward in my opinion and if it's worth it to you, you should do it. Or consider getting, e.g., a CA-legal AR and a mini-14 with banana clips-- both legal and both a lot of fun, and no state prison or probation.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    By the way, it is still not resolved whether the DPMS pump rifle is an assault weapon: http://www.webarms.com/Gun Suppliers/dpms/dpms_a15 pump rifle.htm

The reason it probably is an assault weapon is that the 1989 list of assault weapons includes "AR-15 series" meaning any copy of an AR-15 and the lower receiver of the DPMS pump rifle is a real AR-15 type receiver.

You might try asking the DOJ for an opinion that the DPMS pump rifle is not an assault weapon so you can buy one, and then keep a real AR upper to covertly use at the range or wherever. But that's what they know you'll do so they will probably refuse to give you that opinion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't smuggle a gun into California.

Really.

Banana clips are illegal in the Golden State. (anything over ten rounds)

FYI...do a search on fleabay-type 'AR15 lower receiver'.

80% is not a firearm.

jesus2000x.jpg?mtbrand=NS_US

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
    - Jesus Christ in Luke 22:36
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Actually, you can keep any high capacity magazine you had before January 2000. In 2000 it became an alternate felony/misdemeanor to manufacture, sell, give, lend, or import a high capacity magazine. They did that one to prevent mail order sales. See penal code 12020.

It *might* be possible to make a CA-legal rifle from an 80% AR receiver if the magazine is not detachable within the meaning of PC 12276.1 as interpreted by Cal. Code of Regulations sec. 978.20. Look at http://www.tanneryshop.com for their California model with the floorplate in the magazine well to allow a fixed 10 rd magazine similar to the CA-legal AR that atlantic firearms is selling.

I've been trying to get a straight answer from the DOJ on what constitutes enough of a difference to exclude a rifle from the AR-15 series rule, but they won't say. Basically you have to gamble on that.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I told one guy get out of Taxachusetts was my best advice. So now, I'll tell you, for the same reason, get out of Kalifornia. Go to a place less likely to impose a stae level police state. Those are not good for anyone except the ones who call the shots.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All right there have been more than enough "get out of California" comments. Guess what, I'm not moving out of my home state, my favorite place, away from my family, friends, and heritage, just so I can own a real AR-15. I'm sorry, but f___ that. This is a huge state, and just because there's an assault weapons ban doesn't mean it's full of radical ignorant-* journalists. I can always buy a condo in Nevada, get residency there, and then get class III items for recreation. Make sense? In the meantime I'll be moving to a part of California where CCW's are easily available.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I do not blame you for not wanting to leave.I do not,sometimes the obvious and best answer is just something we cannot live with.To me it is a question of priorities,obviously your home state doesn't disagree with yoou all that much.The thing is,if YOu RESPECT your state and what it stands for so much why would yoou try to circumvent its laws?That is not respect of any kind at all,ya wanna stay and do not like how things are,get involved and try to change em.Wanna go to jail?Keep tryin to go around em.Or leave to a friendlier state...npo gaurantees on those either...so,the choice is yours,not ours,we were just telling you how we felt.Luck to ya bud,whatever you do!
  • Options
    5150 Sgt5150 Sgt Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suppose I'm just reiterating what has already been said but with very few exceptions you won't be able to legally own an "assualt Weapon" in California. I have lived in California most of my life except for some months I spent across the big pond back in 1968/69. I can remember pedaling my bike from San Jose to Alviso to hunt ducks with my old marlin bolt action 12 ga. tied to my bike. Try that today! What is wrong here and other places as well is we as gun owners scream and yell and rant and rave about the gun laws but when it comes time to vote where are we? Restrictive laws will only be pssed when we allow them to be. It's like the old joke about the pollster going door to door and he knocks on one door and a guy answers. He asks the guy "what do you think is the biggest problem in america today, apathy or ignorance? The guy replies, "I don't know and I don't care." Leaving a state just gives that much more clout to the hoplophobies who live here and then more stupid useless laws get passed. No, I don't like the problem here in California but every year I try to my best to do what I can to Change it.
    Sorry if I got up on my soap box, flame off.

Pain is just fear leaving the body
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bro your in luck.

Get a Keltec SU16. It's California legal, I think for now, and will readily accept M16/AR15 magazines you might of already possessed prior to the 2000 ban.

She's cheap, has a warranty, and is made in the U.S. of A.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Nitrouz.........what is a keltac....whatever?Guess I am not up on my assualt weapons...umI mean squirrel guns.[;)]All I know is they are all to dang expensive,face it around here you can still get a brand new sks at 200.00 plus,minus some.....used 125.00 tp 175.00.For those without much money is this a decent option?Need some education,help me out here eh? I go to webb sites,lots of em talk over my head..I am sure that I am not alone....I am just a hunter after all...(We get BIG squirrels in the nOrth)[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Keltec, US made firearms. Lifetime Warranty.

http://www.kel-tec.com/su-16_rifle.htm

you better read the delta gun post before you think about having a firearm in Californy.