In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

"tactical" shotguns legal?

johnnybjohnnyb Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
Just a quick question here. Accordign to federal law, are shorter barrel, pistol grip "tactical" shotguns legal for civilians? I'd like to get one for home defense, but if something (god forbid) should ever happen and I was forced to shoot an intruder, I really don't want to have to deal with the legal ramifications of owning (and wounding or killing someone with) an illegal gun.

According to the laws of my state, there's no restrictions on what a civlian can own, other than those laid out by federal law.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    18" and longer barrels are treated like regular long-arms. The short barrel (12-15") variety require a $200 ATF tax stamp and registration as a SBS (Short Barrel Shotgun). I'd stick with the 18", for home defense it is short enough.[;)]
  • 10mm10mm Member Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look into overall length also. I don't remember offhand and I don't have my reference material handy, but I believe it's something like 36". So if you put a pistol grip on a shotgun with an 18" barrel the overall might be to short. Also certain laws forbid modifing post-ban guns.

There are some people still alive only because it's illegal to kill them.

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Most all pump actions are good to go. You start to get into trouble with the semi auto shot guns. The shortest pump action combat shot gun is the Mossberg BullPup if you can find one. There are many good 18inch barrel pump shotguns on the market today and you dont have to pay an arm and a leg to get them. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    26.5" OAL is the legal requirement
  • johnnybjohnnyb Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks all, for the replies. I can't believe how quickly people respond in the forum!

I've been looking at the Mossberg 500 cruiser, which has a twenty inch barrel. I don't if that would put it in the legal OAL or not though. What if you had a folding stock on it? Would that count in figuring the overall?
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a 20" barrel you would probably be safe. Measure it folded though. Like 10mm said be real careful about modifying a "post ban" shotgun. You can not have a pistol grip AND an extended shell holder on the same gun.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • DarrellDarrell Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is NO SUCH THING as a "tactical" shotgun. That's a buzzword to sound "kewl." If you look you find it's a latin word that means, "black and costs a lot more."
  • johnnybjohnnyb Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Darrell - Yeah, I hate buzzwords too, that's why I put "tactical" in quotes. Seems like everything you buy relating to guns, knives, or outdoor equipment also has a "tactical" model. Bit ridiculous.

Pickenup- Okay, the barrel is 20 inches, and the OAL is 29.5. So I guess it's alright there. Capacity is 7 plus one in the chamber. Would that qualify as an extended magazine? I don't even know how many shells a standard shotgun holds
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no such thing as a preban pump shotgun. Tubular magazines were not banned.

Regards,
    Pistol-02.gif
    FREE IRAQ
  • snake-eyessnake-eyes Member Posts: 869
    edited November -1
    I was starting to worry...preban...shotguns....not yet anyways.

Tactical....if you shot someone with a Daisy pelletgun in defense of your home...the Prosecutor would say to the jury 'he then pulled his tactical weapon from the dresser drawer and shot Mr. Burglar in cold blood'.....

Let's change the laws and quit bickering about them. One man CAN change the status quo.
  • muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it legal to cut your own shotgun barrel,provided it is 18"?

Muggster
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you really know what you're doing, don't. I'm only saying that for your safety.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What could go wrong?Now obviously the gun would be unloaded and the barrel should be removed.Is there some sort of annealing that is nessesary for the newly exposed metal?

Muggster
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
  • linmicklinmick Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The fresh end of any new barrel must be properly crowned; given an angle of roll of, to prevent the barrel from eventually splitting. Worse case scenario, and has happened, is someone; who does not know as much as they think, and have a barrel rupture (explode) upon firing. You can pick up a legal 18" barrel for most pumps off of Gunbroker.com. I just bought one for my Maverick 88. They are factory cut down barrels and a good deal too. "The only difference between mediocrity and excellence is "effort!" Pastor Mike

MTW
    edited November -1
    There you have it. Sawing a barrel down is not really the way to go if you want a shorter barrel. I know, many have seen stuff like that done on TV, but life doesn't imitate art. Best way to have it done is on a lathe, where the barrel can be crowned properly without the possibility of jagged edging or whatnot. The other reason I say this is because, if, while cutting it down, you mess up and make it even 0.001" too short, you'll get nailed if you ever use it, and a prosecuter will crucify you really quick. Besides, I believe the best way is to purchase a short barrel, because then you still have the long barrel.

Death to Tyrants!!! Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

• brechtbrecht Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it legat to bring a benelli super 90 M3 into the US.
    has a pistol grip but also the normal stock is also equipped with a compensator and an aimpoint

in a world full of compromise some don't
    edited November -1
    Probably. If the gun is a semi-auto shotgun, and has only a pistol grip (and not a folding stock, too), then, at least by the standards of the 1994 Klinton Victim Disarmament Edicts, there should be no problem. There was a 1989 import ban put in place, and its language is really really confusing. I don't think this is one of those on the banned list.

• brechtbrecht Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks

in a world full of compromise some don't
  • wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    If I remember correctly, didn't Randy Weaver cut a barrel "slightly short" and was charged originaly with selling an "illegal" short barreled shotgun to an undercover agent? I believe I read he was set up to provide short barreled ( legal) shotguns and he cut the barrel about 1/4 inch to short. Maybe as I get older my mind gets foggy, but that's what I remember reading. [8D]

Fight Crime, Shoot First
    edited November -1
    That is correct, Wizard. Since you read it, then you know it was a costly mistake.