In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I'm Tired of Being "Nice" about the NRA Debate!

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
OK, I'm not really mad or anything and I consider some of the people here on the Gun Rights forum to be my friends, even the ones who bash the NRA. But I'm getting sick and tired of complaints about the NRA as if it never, ever did even ONE damn thing of value for all gun owners. Hell, if NOTHING else it has BRAND NAME RECOGIZATION for the gun rights movement that is worth millions of dollars to our cause. Just as putting the brand name of McDonalds, Coca Cola, Etc.,Etc. on a product is AUTOMATICALLY worth millions of dollars in sales and advertising just in THE NAME. And all the NRA demands of any interested party is 10cents per day ($35.00) per year for a membership. And whatever the NRA has accompllished they have done with a membership of only about 6% of all the gun owners in America as members. Guys, 6% is not even Jack bababooey compared to what it could be. And if you join the NRA, after three years of membership you can chose and vote on who the board members are going to be. Kind of like voting on your local school board members to determine the future of your kids education. I could go on and on but I posted a longer reply on the General Discussion Board under thetopic "Why Such Hatred for the NRA?". But one last word is that the anti-gun groups would dance in the streets if the NRA folded. So if that is what you want to see, then I guess you will be dancing along with Jim Brady, Diane Feinstein, Edward Kennedy, etc.

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are correct about the "name recognition" part. Whenever the mainstream media talks about opposition to a gun related topic. It is (most of the time) the NRA that they mention. But GOA is up and coming. I have seen a few news stories, that tell the tale.

I do not think that anyone will say that the NRA has NEVER done anything to preserve some of our gun rights. The bashing of the NRA is because of what they have (or have not) done LATELY in regards to our gun rights. I, for one, only have a problem with the CURRENT administration and the direction they are going. They seem to want to compromise (by agreeing with the enemy) our gun rights away. I would hate to see where our guns would be, if they had not been around (over the past years) to at least, slow down, the assault on our rights.

I think we need every bit of help we can get. The NRA, GOA, RMGO, and ALL the rest. What we need to do about the NRA is to vote out the compromisers, and get the staunch supporters of the Constitution, back in charge. If we could just get them back on the right track.

I belong to a bunch of gun rights organizations, and give them ALL money. I have no problem paying the nominal amount they want for dues.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that the amount that you have to pat to "belong" to any of the organizations is not cause to exclude them but I would have to say that the way the different organizations go about their business can and will affect membership. I am a former member of the NRA. I am a life member of other organizations so I feel that I can still say that I am trying to "help" the cause. You seem to feel that if I am not a member of NRA, then I don't care. That, I feel, is where you and the NRA lose members and sponsers. Just my opinion, Which if I give you a dollar with it, you may be able to buy a cup of coffee.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    fox.I am sure that you have seen my "other posts"about how LONG I was a member,and how I taught hunter safety in 2 ststes,and campigned etc...FOR the NRA.....I see others that post are "former"members....should be telling someone something....
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I can understand the frustration and disagreement many of you feel with the NRA. But for God's sake I don't think ANYONE can claim that the NRA has climbed into bed with the anti-gun side. And as long as the NRA is TRYING to help, then the NRA is worth a measly 10 cents per day for my membership dues. And after I pay my 10 cents per day I STILL have money left over to support other gun rights organizations. Which I do. My position seems much more reasonable that someone claiming the NRA hasn't done anything for them RECENTLY and claimning that by requiring a pitifly 10 cents per day for a membership that the NRA is a bunch of money grubbers.

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.
    edited November -1
    Fox friend...Its Christmas.....hope you have a happy and safe Holiday!
    As to the NRA,well heres the thing for me...It isn't the 35 measly bucks....or anything like that.YOu see the distrust for the government was bad enough...now to distrust the oNE Organization,that was fighting tooth and nail for us...Its just too much.Its all the same to me,the distrust....etc.As I Have said....I hope you understand.IF the NRA makes some CHANGES,Let me know brother and I WILL BE THERE!
    edited November -1
    Christmas Greeting to you and your family Longhunter and all others here. But Longhunter if good people like you and me don't force those changes at the NRA who will?

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    Christmas Greeting to you and your family Longhunter and all others here. But Longhunter if good people like you and me don't force those changes at the NRA who will?

OK,well isn't it three years a paying member BEFORE I can vote? I gpt disgusted and quit a while ago...we may just be missing something here fox......For instance,If a paying member such as yourself,or a bunch of you all had a notion of ANY kind of HOW many of us EX members are waiting in the wings...Well doesn't that sound like a place to start?Let them know that WE ARE OUT HERE.That we DO care,THAT we will fight WITH them. Spose there is any way of figuring out just HOW many of us that ARE not members would join up and sign up others if things changed?LET THEM know friend...LET THEM KNOW We RAE here...and do wish things were different.In the meantime ,keep us informed,I will continue with GOA for the present.....and see where it all leads....L.H.
    edited November -1
    Longhunter (and others): unless you just have a death wish for the NRA surely you can throw them 10 cents per day and with the increase in members and the clout that goes with it, if we are able to get even 25% of the gun owners (about 10 to 15 million members), then give the NRA a chance to do some good. And vote in the board members who think like you or become a board member yourself. We gun owners need ALL THE FRIENDS WE CAN GET. And the NRA, with all it's faults, is still our friend.

• jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    The trouble is, a lot of people are only going to support the NRA because of the name recognition. Bad reasoning. It helps our enemies and they know it, so as long as they continue to make the NRA out to be some powerful force, people buy into it, and this hurts "real" defender's of freedom like GOA because people think, "no name recognition, nobody is listening to them. I will send my $$$ to the NRA."
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    TR my good friend, I have placed my best logic and effort into these NRA threads trying to change the way you see this topic. I feel I have failed and I am giving up. Thank you for the oppotunity to debate on it, though. We will just have to agree to disagree on it. I have really enjoyed this opportunity. Thank you.
    edited November -1
    thanks and right back at ya mr. wolf