In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Here Is 1 Way Out Of This Mess.

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
OK, I never claim to have the best or most original ideas, but here is one idea that might get us started in regards to winning our government back and finally having all the amendments and the US Constituion followed. On another topic I posted a long "lecture" about how getting a viable 3rd or 4th party started was one of our only hopes. And I went into detail of one reason that hasn't happend yet and I also mentioned one idea that could, just could, make it happen. So why don't any of you that are interested let me type out a form letter to some of those other poltical parties and I will post it here and you can print it and sign and mail to the leaders of those parties or even anyone who has influence on this. If anyone is interested I am of course open to suggestions onhow the letter could be worded. But I think the main topic of the letter should be that the 3rd and 4th parties don't stand a chance until wwe give voters the right to vote for as many canidadates for any one particular office as they wish. For examaple I could vote for the Republicans AND for the Liberterians evven though the Republicians are my second choice. But if I had only been able to cast one vote for US President, I would have been afraid of throwing away my vote, if I only had one vote, if I gave it to the Liberterians.

Let me know if anyone is interested or if they have any suggesstions on the letter. Otherwise I will just forget about it as we all do so often. But this could be achance to actgually take decisive action here on GB.com

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.

Comments

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post your idea of a form letter.
    I am sure you will get some input on changing it.
    Lets do a little brain storming. [;)]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    pickenup: as always I appreciate your response and support, but it has got to be more than just you and me or we won't get anymore attention than if we were only one person. You know how it works when you contact an organization with a complaint, suggestion or just some good advice. If you are only one, lone, unknown person you get absoutely no attention. My hope was that I could get some interest here and I could collect a hand-full of letters to send in a group to the fringe political parties to get their attention. If I just send in two letters (yours and mine) they will probably get little or no attention. But let's wait and see what happens when longhunter and jpwolf see this idea.

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    I'm listening...I believe that after the work is all done you will have more.Typicly however a few do the work...Have'nt hard from jpwolfe????2gun??/there are a few more I would think interessted in this...give em a chance....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok, I'm patient.

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lets back up a step.
    Has anyone looked into what it would take, or who is responsible for changing the voting laws?

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    3gunner3gunner Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can see your point for being able to vote for more than one party affiliation. That would diffently give the third party some go juice.

If there is a lack of interest detected on this topic; it is probably because most people see it as a totally impossible venture. The problem I see with the "double vote casting" is that it would take legislation to change our current voting laws. Who controls the legislation? The D's and the R's. They know that the majority of voters would split their vote, 1 for the home party and one for the third party. They also realize that the double vote casting would bring a drastic rise to the third party. They don't want anymore competition. They would never do anyting to hurt themselves. It would be a miracle to get any of this legislation through our current system.

Not trying to be negative on the idea. Just pointing out some road blocks I see. Maybe somebody will come up with some good ideas.

"Have a gun that works every time. All skill is in vein when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    I said it before TR, I LOOOOOOOVE this idea. It really is the most common sense way to get another party rolling and break the "bi" partisan stalemate. Bring it on.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks wolf. give me a few days to compose a letter to the alternative parties and I will post it and ask for suggestions and then maybe after we have a final copy everyone can print it and sign it. I would like for everyone to then mail me their copy so I could send the letters to the alternative parties altogther in a box so as to get some attention as a group. Other wise if the letters arrive as single letters they won't make nearly as much impact as if they arrive in a group and with that being the case the idea is likely to go into the trash barrell.

3gunner: your observations are right on, but if we could somehow get a national voice asking for a change in the constitution and whatever else it would take to change the way citizens vote, and frame our demand as it being good for the citizens, for political competition, and would give citizens an additional right, the Dems and Reps would look like selfish hypocrits if they fight against the idea. Think about how the government thinks it is a great idea for the citizens to have several auto companies, several phone companies, several delivery companies, etc, etc. to chose from but we only really have two political parties to chose from. Something is wrong with that and if we could get the citizens to examine the situtaion they would probably agree.

• Options
    2gun2gun Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its a wonderful idea, it was one of the things that small parties tried to get passed in a few areas and were blocked by the large parties every step of the way. i believe it is called proportional elections.

the problem is the same as you have whenever you have a group in power and another group wants in. the group in power wll do anything to avoid getting thrown out.a lot of minority groups tried for this in the late sixties early seventies and the major parties not wanting a nonwhite instant majority did whatever it took from lawsuits to finding candidates of color to put on their ballots quickly.of course one of the results was that the democrats who were most able to see what advantage they could get from it began to give away the store.

the vast majority of this country are like romans,living for the free circus.when the entitlements were smaller it would have been easier to wean this country off it. noone wants to vote for someone that isnt promising them free stuff anymore let alone someone who says its time to pay the piper.i think thats what gun control is really all about, its people control and at some point the bill will come due and when they cut off all the party favors they dont want a restive populace with guns especially the kind we like with those big magazines.

why am i pointing this out? so that you understand were not the first people to try to get back some power from the 2 party system and what we are up against.most important is local politics as a base and we will be best off starting all over but concentrating on areas of this country that still mostly believe that freedom is god given and not a privelige from uncle sugar.

happiness is a warm gun, preferably preban
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    I think that you need to change the "mindset of the voters...Get to the young,they are just coming to voting age,make them "believe in the revoution of American politics....Use history to advantage.Remember Vietnam and how the youth went after it and getting the war and those that supported it?Get them involved in a peaceful way.Wean the 2 party thinking.Make posters,stick em EVERYWHERE.Get the word out,The more that vote out of the 3 party line,the more the 2 parties will take notice.And staart their OWN voting accordingly.This in addition to or while trying to get the way we vote change will make a difference.IF it is strong enough.......You have to change your own ideas first,that you throw your vote away if you do not ELECT someone....