In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Got 1 Response From KS Univ. Polit. Science Profes

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
Finally got one short response from a KS University Political Science Professor regarding the idea of letting the citizens vote for more than one canadidate for A PARTICULAR office in an election. For those of you who are interested I have copied it below:

Donna,

I'm no expert on elections; I think they're one of the least interesting dimensions of governing. It is difficult to use complicated weighting schemes to avoid "Arrow's paradox" that gives preferences to everyone's second choice. If you want to look at the impact of multiple parties and coalition building you should take a look at Parliamentary systems, especially Israel. It is also important to note that large political parties are often coalitions of diverse interests -- we often talk of the two Republican Parties in Kansas. Certainly during the Dem primary there has been a wide spectrum of views from Kucinich (sp?) to Lieberman. You might think of our system as a 2-step election process with multiple "parties" competing during the primaries. It is also useful to recall that during the early years of the Republic, leaders distrusted all parties -- or factions -- and preferred rule by elites.

Best,

Steven M-M

In regards to Arrows Paradox you might find this link iteresting:
http://www.encyclopedia4u.com/a/arrow-s-impossibility-theorem.html

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"