In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What Happens When the Assault Weapons Ban Sunsets?

FitzFitz Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
I realize that there is debate about whether or not the Assault Wepons Ban is even going to sunset. I happen to be of the opinion that it will. There is little to no Congressional support to renew it, and Democrats even seem to admit that they lost many seats because of their anti-gun stance. All that aside though, what are the implications if/when it does sunset in these two scenerios?

1. You live in a restrictive state (CA, MA, NJ, CT, etc.):

2. You live in a free(er) state ( TX, AZ, NH, etc.):

Thanks again all!

Fitz

"The germ of destruction of our nation is in the power of the judiciary, an irresponsible body- working like gravity by night and by day, gaining a little today and a little tomorrow, and advancing its noiseless step like a thief over the field of jurisdiction, until all shall render powerless the checks of one branch over the other and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated."

Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    I don't know, but I like your attitude.
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the free states, like here in TX, we'll get hi-caps and the currently banned guns.

In places like CA and NJ, where they have state law that also bans so-called "assault weapons" and hi-caps, nothing will change.

Solution: Vote with your tax dollars and your feet. I did.
  • FitzFitz Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, but I'm looking for a lot of details. For instance:

Do many of the manufacturing companies that once made high-cap mags still have their dyes and will they break them out and start production again, drastically decreasing the price and increasing the avalablity of them to us?

Will companies that manufacture similar (legal) models to banned models be affected by returning imports?

Will the value of pre-ban weapons decrease suddenly?

Will sales of bayonet lugs, folding stocks, pistol grip stocks, etc. increase and get cheaper?

Etc, etc.

Fitz

"The germ of destruction of our nation is in the power of the judiciary, an irresponsible body- working like gravity by night and by day, gaining a little today and a little tomorrow, and advancing its noiseless step like a thief over the field of jurisdiction, until all shall render powerless the checks of one branch over the other and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated."

---Thomas Jefferson
  • IAMAHUSKERIAMAHUSKER Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It means that I while be making some purchases. I am sure there are a lot of others that will do the same.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." --Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791. ME 8:276
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, let me explain something called "supply and demand". (For all those who know what I'm saying, disregard). There is presently a finite supply of hi-capacity magazines and paramilitary semi-automatic rifles. Because of this, the prices are subject to change by the supply and demand of the item (note: high demand, low supply). Once this fraudulent edikt passes into the void of defunct stupidities, there will once again be all the things banned, and that does mean that the value of many of those pre-ban items will drop as supply is reintroduced into the market. ArmaLite is already on the bandwagon for the day they can sell their weapons with collapsing stocks, bayonet lugs and flash suppressors on their rifles.

For those poor saps in the Red States, and on the Left Coast... Move!!!! No sense in trying to drain a swamp full of freedom-hating alligators the size of an entire state (especially if that state is Kalifornistan.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Remember how many seats were lost after AWB passage? Vae victis!
    Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    edited November -1
    Fitz, mostly yes to all of the above, but I wouldn't expect a sudden, drastic drop in prices. I'm guessing the manufacturers will want to enjoy higher profits for a while. As far as tooling and stuff, for the imported stuff (EAA Witness, Para-Ordnance, etc.), these manufacturers have been producing hi-caps all along. Pretty much the same deal with the domestic manufacturers, who could still make the mags for export, they just couldn't sell domestically.
  • BorgCubeBorgCube Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are the chances that the ban will not be re-newed?

"I can think of dozens of reasons not to have hi-cap mags, but it's the one reason I can't think of that I need them!"
    edited November -1
    That is uncertain. It is not fathomable to know to what depths the viktim disarmament crew will stoop to get this thing renewed, as it is the one thing that puts them on Prozac worrying about (but it won't matter, because they'll always be out there).

With any luck, it fails to be renewed and those poor saps fall into a suicidal depression, or something. I don't wish death on them, but at the same time, a shall not weep for them.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

• jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Well gunny, I think one of two things will happen. It will either be renewed, or, with the apparent lack of interest being shown right now, it will sunset and they will renew efforts for an even worse ban. It may end up watered down to something less than the one we have, but who knows? It is in the works, but it remains to be seen if it will come out as an expansion of the one already in place, or an entirely new package. Rest assured, they will get something, especially with GW the democrat backing them up on the issue.
  • meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, as far as the high caps go, remember, the ban only meant that the companies couldn't produce the mags for CIVILIAN sales. They still produced them for law enforcement, military and export. They will simply just not have the sales restriction anymore I think.

I don't know if some guns will come back, though. For example, the Norinco AKs will not show up again. This is due to the ban on the importation from Red China not the AWB.

However, it will be nice to get and install a legal underfolder kit for mine after September... :-)

What I'm really wanting though, is a REAL Saiga 12ga semiauto, pistol grip and all. OOOOooooohhhhhh yeah!

In the immortal words of Ash: "This is my BOOMSTICK!"
  • muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't want to bring you down but....I don't think there is a snowballs chance in * that the ban will sunset.
    I suspect in the coming months,not too long before September,just in time to get the public scared to death, there will be a rash of "sniper" and "mass shootings" involving semi-automatic rifles and shotguns.We haven't had any in a while and they always come in bunches.If it does by some miricle sunset,bet yer * that they got something else up their sleave.
    Ever notice that none of these shooters use pistols anymore?And a majority are on some kinda Prozac type drug.Kinda strange.

Muggster
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    I am thinking that they will try and get the states to have their own ban.
  • muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought it was like that now,I mean look at California and New York.

Muggster
    edited November -1
    Screw 'em. Let the states do what they want...better than the feds doing it. For you people in CA or NY...MOVE.

Decrease their electoral votes, shrink their tax base, enjoy freedom elsewhere. Come on down to Texas and enjoy the warm weather ... 70 degree high, 50 degree low today! [8D]

quote:Originally posted by longhunter
    I am thinking that they will try and get the states to have their own ban.
    edited November -1
    mpolans........I hear you,and what you say makes sense.It seems that the country wants to protect EVERYONE from themselves...It should be up to the States ANyhow should'nt it? Maine may be cold but it has been Gun friendly forever.I am afraid that may change soon however with the influx of downcountry idjuts comin here.They are slowly takin over,and I got No where furthur North to go....Sigh......L.H.
    edited November -1
    Yup. Maine's nice in the summer, but too darn cold for me the rest of the year. And, y'all are startin' to get those damn NY and MA liberals creeping up there. VT and NH are all but overrun with 'em now. I guess they figure since they've ruined their home states with pollution, outrageous taxes, etc., it's time to move somewhere and screw things up anew.

quote:Originally posted by longhunter
    mpolans........I hear you,and what you say makes sense.It seems that the country wants to protect EVERYONE from themselves...It should be up to the States ANyhow should'nt it? Maine may be cold but it has been Gun friendly forever.I am afraid that may change soon however with the influx of downcountry idjuts comin here.They are slowly takin over,and I got No where furthur North to go....Sigh......L.H.
    edited November -1
    Government theory: If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Death to Tyrants!!!

edited November -1
    mpolans,
    You got it eggzactly!! They come here to get away from the taxes,the polution,crime,etc.And then can't stand it.Then they make it just like where they left.I have bought a truck in this part of the state and driven it over 6 years,got rid of it and never did know if the key would Actually come outa the ignition.Never had to take it out.
    It isn't like that anymore...its coming,crack in Maine becoming a REAL problem...crime rate,tho STILL lower than most states is rising..and all the real Mainers are leaving the lower half of the state if they can.....Where they all outnumber/outvote the rest of us......Will continue to fight...It is COLD here,but we got some REALLY NICE fur...real prime furs,large bucks,(I know,Texas got em too!)Great bear huntin...who wpuld want to leave.And where would I go? Its spreadin everywhere.....
    Gunphreak, You know it,they just can't leave a GOOD thing alone ! L.H.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:they just can't leave a GOOD thing alone
    You got that right. They are doing it here too. [xx(]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • aarmsaarms Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When will the ban sunset?

Randy Simerly
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    www.awbansunset.com

They have a clock on the webpage.

kabalogoshadowed.gif
    edited November -1
    Lord willing, the ban will sunset on September 14th 2004.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Randy, your work involves a gun shop and you don't know when the so-called AWB sunsets? Can I assume everyone at your gun shop has done little or nothing to fight the AWB?

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
    edited November -1
    Trfox and all others.After visiting the site again that red223 had posted in this thread I noticed the "counter" on the bottom of the page.Seems that the politicians love to keep tabbs on things like this as we all know.It is a method of figuring just how Popular this or that is woith the voters. It may seem like a very SMALL thing,but I believe a impact could be made simply by overwhelming a place such as this with visits.The counter goes up in an election year,I think someone truely may take note. So It is a little thing that we all could do,post sites like that one and try to visit them OFTEN.It is true that they may be reading this post but with enough visits HOW would they know the REAL numbers? A simple thing,cost free,what yo all think?
    edited November -1
    longhunter: if it is a good thing and "cost free" you know I gotta love it.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
    edited November -1
    I would love to see this so-called "crime bill" be sinkholed. The next target is the Import ban signed by Bush Sr. and the '86 law that prevents the manufacture of automatic weapons after that date, signed by Bush Sr. when acting in the absence of our real President, Reagan while he was recooperating from surgery.

I know I've said this before, the Assault Weapon ban is insidious enough in its own way, but what the so-called Republikan president Bush did has the exact same effect, but on an even more useful type of weapon; select-fire weapons.

Have any of you guys ever glanced at the National Firearms Act of 1968? This thing is a sneakier worded version of the Nazi Weapon Law of 1938, with certain similarities that make it a truly disturbing piece of fooey, er, work. It's justification as to what kind of weapons are for sporting purposes are suitable, in a society to which the 2nd Amendment clearly states that, unless you want to call Tyrant hunting a sport, the Amendment cares nothing about sporting purposes, but it does care about possessing the means to overthrow tyrants, and seeks to empower the citizens the tools to do the job.

As far as I'm concerned, Nazi Weapon laws have no business being enforced in this country. Death to those who enforce them, for they are the tyrants which I speak of.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• ed_spred_spr Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "BEFORE" we all get real happy and thoughtless.
    Any comments from ANYWHERE in the U.S.A. from ANYONE about any resinded gun laws? EVER ?
    I would love to have a better out look, BUT......history tells me that we are stuck with it no matter what. I would be willing to bet that the FEDS make the uncompling states insert new laws. And they can!Here in MD. we had what was supposed to be a tempoary 5 year law in regaurds to a hangun rooster board. Well here we are over 10 years later and it is still in effect, and no one has the answewr why? The law makers simply do not extinguish laws. There is no money it for them. The gun manufacturers at this point don't care one way or the other. 10 rounds, 15, rounds makes no difference to them. They have already buckled. I can hope but certainly would not bet these laws will ever truely run out or be expunged.
    TOOOOOOOO much trouble and sounds an awfull lot like defeat for them to let it go. AND.....someone may ask them one day if the law/s worked while in effect. Then what would they say?
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:someone may ask them one day if the law/s worked while in effect. Then what would they say?

NO

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    IIRC, see the Volkmer-McClure Firearms Owner Protection Act.

quote:Originally posted by ed_spr
    "BEFORE" we all get real happy and thoughtless.
    Any comments from ANYWHERE in the U.S.A. from ANYONE about any resinded gun laws? EVER ?
    I would love to have a better out look, BUT......history tells me that we are stuck with it no matter what. I would be willing to bet that the FEDS make the uncompling states insert new laws. And they can!Here in MD. we had what was supposed to be a tempoary 5 year law in regaurds to a hangun rooster board. Well here we are over 10 years later and it is still in effect, and no one has the answewr why? The law makers simply do not extinguish laws. There is no money it for them. The gun manufacturers at this point don't care one way or the other. 10 rounds, 15, rounds makes no difference to them. They have already buckled. I can hope but certainly would not bet these laws will ever truely run out or be expunged.
    TOOOOOOOO much trouble and sounds an awfull lot like defeat for them to let it go. AND.....someone may ask them one day if the law/s worked while in effect. Then what would they say?
  • shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [1] _Marbury vs Madison_ "All laws which are repugnant to the
    Constitution are null and void."

16th American Jurisprudence 2d, Section 177 late 2nd, section
    256: "No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no
    courts are bound to enforce it. The general rule is that an
    unconstitutional statute, though having the form and the name
    of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and
    ineffective for any purpose, since unconstitutionality dates
    from the time of its enactment, and not merely from the date of
    the decision so branding it."
    edited November -1
    shotstright: I like and agree with your post but the same criminals who made those unconstitutional laws are the ones who also have the power to put you behind bars for disobeying those laws.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tr fox:
    Back when we had the guts to hang criminals on the town
    square for all of the people to see and the kids too. It was a
    deterrent to doing crime.
    Tar and feathers was a deterrent for politicos not to make laws
    that violated the constitution .
    The ballot box is the way to fix it. The next time your friends
    vote party line for democRATS or go off to deer hunting camp
    on the week of the election without filling an absentee ballot
    don't be quite , let them know that they have lost the power
    that they are given to fix the mess we are in.
    When the law shows up at his door to pickup all of his firearms that he registered when they past the registration law , he
    will be the one that says OK wait a min. will I get them for you.
    THE POWER IS WITH THE PEOPLE, WE NEED TO HAVE THE GUTS TO
    USE IT. Voting takes guts. don't let them wimp out.
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunphreak
    For those poor saps in the Red States, and on the Left Coast... Move!!!!

You mean BLUE states, don't you? RED ones are Republican ones.

"Go to Lakedaemon, stranger passing by;
    And say there, that in obedience to her law, here we lie"