In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tenn. Sheriff stole 21 guns.....

cougar_xingcougar_xing Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
I have a friend, Terry who has been separated for six months from his wife in Tennessee. This past Thursday Feb. 26. The Dyer County sheriffs Department raided a private residence in Trenton, Tenn. with a search warrant for drugs! He gets a call from his wife informing him that the good-ol-boys took all 21 of his guns, nine of them handguns. He called the Sheriff and was told they know nothing about the guns. There are no guns listed as being removed from the residence. And that if Terry was to try to get them back he would be charged with drug possession!
He contacted a lawyer that wants $2000.00 retainer. My question is.... does he have a chance in hell?
bob

Comments

• Options
    2gun2gun Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    call the batfe.

did they remove drugs from his residence?

tell us a little bit more on what happenned here.what was on the search warrant? etc.

happiness is a warm gun, preferably preban
  • Options
    cougar_xingcougar_xing Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey,
    What happen the sheriff got a search warrent to search the house for drugs! The wife who Terry was doing a favor to and let live there. Had some pot. It is not clear if she was dealing or just using. The Sheriff found the guns and asked her about them! She said they where Terrys her husband and that he does not live in the state any longer. They arrested her for the pot... and took all the guns but did not list them on the report. Terry lives a couple states away with another woman. He has been clean of any drugs for over a year. The lady Terry is living with now called and the under sheriff told her that the Sheriff took all the guns and they if Terry Tried to get them back he would be charged with drugs. The point is!!! They took the gun's, removed them from the house and did not list them on the report.
    I feel this is stealing and I would think stealing guns would be a federal offence?
    bob

outlaw guns and only me and the outlaws will have guns!
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to see if the ACLU would get involved in this one. He has a leg to stand on...he needs to get a copy of the warrant to see what, exactly, they were looking for. If the warrant does not include firearms, and they found no drugs, then someone's butt needs to be attended to.

I doubt if the ACLU would take up his case...but the NRA just might!

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    he might at least report the guns as "stolen" and see what happens then. Maybe at least the bastar*ds who have them couldn't keep them without getting into big trouble.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    trfox..

Report them as stolen...good point. But report them to who? The law enforcement group that took them to begin with? That probably wouldn't get very far, and I doubt that IF the sheriff, or deputies that served the warrant actually did take them, that any paper work would be filed past the complainant's. All this means is that they got 20+ firearms.

If the files them as stolen, he has to have serial numbers to give them for them so that in the event that they might be eventually recovered, then he could regain possession. You gotta have more than "it was a 12 gauge Remington 870."

I sure as heck hope it ain't a true story though.

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"
  • Options
    2gun2gun Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this is one of those situations where the batfe is good to get involved.misappropriated firearms is a problem and if the story is true they certainly wont be playing games of trading charges while there is a federal investigation going on.

happiness is a warm gun, preferably preban