In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

President Bush and the AWB.........

longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
Just got a letter from my Senator.......and read the following;

"Finally,with regard to the amendment to extend the Assault Weapons Ban,THAT PRESIDENT BUSH HAD INDICATED HE SUPPORTED,I voted against the establishment of such a ban three timesbetween 1991 and 1994.In that light,and in light of my straong,longstanding support for gunowner's rights.I CAME TO A DECISION ON THIS AMENDMENT ONLY AFTER THE MOST CAREFUL CONSIDERATIN AND DELIBERATION,AND I SOUGHT OUT AND LISTENED TO THE VIEWS OF THOSE IN THE SPORTING COMMUNITY.

IN EXAMINING THE TEN- YEAR RECORD THAT NOW EXISTS ON THE BAN'S EFFECT,THERE IS INFORMATION THAT,SINCE 1995,THE PROPRTION OF ASSAULT WEAPONS TRACED TO CRIMES HAS DROPPED A SIGNIFICANT 65 PERCENT,WHILE AT THE SAME TIME A NEGATIVE INPACT ON THE RIGHTS OF LAW-ABIDING GUN OWNERS HAS NOT BEEN IN EVIDENCE,especially considering that the ban did not apply to people who allready owned such weapons at the time the ban took effect"

There is more ifin ya wanna hear it[:(][V]

Comments

• Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    We are not protesting the right portions of the so-called AWB. We are not presenting our best case or defense. If anyone is interested in what I mean, please ask and I will post an answer.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    2gun2gun Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sad and i'll bet he's a real supporter of gun rights. hand the man a a45 and ask him to fieldstrip it and i bet he'll scratch his head for a while.

happiness is a warm gun, preferably preban
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This was a female Senator that HAS stood firm for many years on gunrights...I was shocked and saddened to see this turn....Fox,I'd love to see what you mean?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for asking longhunter. I will post that reply since at least one person (you) is willing to read it. Regarding fighting the extension of the "semi-automatic ban". See, a new, better and more friendly term already. MUCH better than ASSUALT WEAPON BAN. It is very, very hard to convince that great mass of middle America, that middle of the road crowd that is really neither pro or anti gun, that ASSUALT WEAPONS should be in the hands of the common citizen. So lets stop saying we want our ASSUALT WEAPONS and start saying we want our semiautomatic rifles and pistols.

Now, when one pleads their case they should (and most of us automatically do) plead the best and most sympathetic parts of their case. For example, if a traffic court judge has to decide whether or not to revoke your drivers license for having numerous driving violations, you plead that you need to keep your driving rights (or partial rights) so that you can get to work, or drive your kids to and from school, etc. You don't just argue that you have a right to drive and that right shouldn't be taken away.

If you are about to be sentenced to prison for a criminal violation, you ask the judge for a short sentence or even probation SO THAT YOU CAN WORK AND SUPPORT YOUR FAMILY. You don't just argue that you don't like being locked up. And there are countless other examples.

But we gun people arguing against the extension of the semiautomatic ban are not calling attention to a few of the truly ridiculous and unfair portions of the ban.

Take the folding stock ban for example. How senseless and ridiculous. Has anyone EVER been harmed more by a gun that had a folding stock than one that didn't? But that is not my argument right now. I own two Ruger 10/22 rifles, one a preban with a legal folding stock and a post-ban with a wooden stock. When I die my daughter will automatically get my guns (legal in Jo.Co. KS). Now she is not a gun rights expert nor does she want to be. What would happen if one day she took both rifles out of the stock and cleaned or inspected them. Once out of the stocks you can't tell the pre-ban gun from the post ban gun (yeah, I know, I know. Tie a ribbon or some such on the pre-ban before taking it out of the stock. But honest Americans shouldn't have to go to such goofey extremes to stay out of prison). So say she accidently gets them mixed up and puts the post ban 10/22 into the folding stock? SHE HAS JUST COMMITTED A FELONY AND CAN GO TO PRISON! Would she? Probably not, but that is not the point. Honest Americans should not have to suffer and worry about such traps setting and waiting for them. This makes the semi-automatic assualt ban a bad, bad law.

What about the post ban high capacity magazines? To make an easy point, let me exaggerate a little. However, the following IS POSSIBLE. Say a high capacity magazine marked "Law Enforcement/Military and Export Only" falls out of a police car. 13 year old walking home from school finds it and brings it home for his dad and sticks it in with dad's gun stuff and then forgets about it. For whatever reason, ATFE comes to house to check on dads guns. Finds the illegal mag. Now I know PROBABLY nothing bad would happen to that dad or his family BUT IN THEORY IT COULD! Good Americans should not have to face such traps just lieing and waiting for them and thereby cause them to fear or to actually go to prison for doing something that is not going to cause any harm to the public.

These are the examples we should use when presenting our opposition to the semiautomatic ban. And I have others if anyone is interested.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    h4ckthish4ckthis Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ::::applause:::::

Amen, trfox.

Ok, my turn:

Folding/colapasble stock. Federal law says it's illegal for a rifle or shotgun to be less than an overall length of....I think it's about 26 inches or something.

HOWEVER: Even pre-ban semi-auto's with colapsable stock cannot be shorter than the law allows.

This would like posting a 55 mph speed limit, then putting governors on cars so they can't go over 65 mph.

Baynoet lug. Please find me a SINGLE case where a criminal killed someone with a fixed baynoet! It hasn't happened!

High capacity magizines.

FBI statistics show that the AVERAGE number of shots fired in gun-related crimes is TWO.

Flash supressor.

Please show me how a flash supressor contributes to crime or makes a semi-automatic rifle more dangerous or powerful.

In all my correspondence about the so-called assault weapons ban, I alwasy refer to it as the "so-called assault weapons ban". They are semi-automatic rifles that have certain features prohibited by law...period.

An assault weapon is a fully-automatic or three-round burst capable rifle or pistol used by military or law-enforcment. Fully-automatic weapons have been regulated by Federal Law since 1934.

The so-called AWB is nothing more than semantics and a first step to banning all guns.

Q: How do you boil a frog?

A: You don't put him in a pot of boiling water--he'll jump out. You put him in a pot of cool water, and slowly turn up the heat.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    oh so true. (ribbit, ribbit)

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks , after I recieved that one I sent a return by email,I suspect that I will get an answer of sorts.I will ask you all this,would you mind if I copied out your letters here and sent them along for the good Senator to read? This is one that I do believe actually reads them and we may just provide some more insight......L.H.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    longhunter,
    I would think that whatever someone posts here, is already open for all the world to read. I do not see a problem sending these posts to someone that could actually do something. Having that person read both sides, could help.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    longhunter: copy and send mine if you wish.