In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

right of self defense

2gun2gun Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
i thought we had problems with assorted laws about how much force you can use and when.in england(and it seems through much of europe) there is no right to self defense. it is illegal to carry anything specifically for self defense in england and i mean anything.if someone attacks you and you were carrying a flashlight which you used to defend yourself you will be charged with assualt you would have to prove it was a weapon of opportunity otherwise you will get as much time as the crook since by carrying a weapon it is considered that you were planning on assualting someone.

im reading this and wondering what has the world come to? it is illegal to defend yourself, what are yyou supposed to do? submit? no i begin to understand what happens when people get too civilized, everything is permissable, noone is ever wrong. and you have no right to defend your life. if it is taken someone will argue that since your life is already taken it will do no good to kill the criminal since 2 rights dont make a wrong. people have less rights than animals it seems.is western society insane? or maybe its just me?

happiness is a warm gun, preferably preban

Comments

• Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2Gun..

I read that article, and was amazed. My wife and I were planning a trip to Great Britain, but after reading that, we decided to spend our dollars somewhere else. Perhaps if more Americans were aware of what is going on in GB and other places in Europe and quit going over there, they would change their minds. Well..probably not! But were not going now.

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    It is not too hard to understand. Somehow the left-wing, liberal, social engineers got control in places like England. And they are rapidly getting control here.

But my point is that such people view the world as they WANT it or as they THINK it to be. And of course they pass laws to govern the honest citizen's behavior based on that thinking.

In contrast, people like us view the world as it IS and we try to modify our behavior to deal with that real world. Hope this makes some kind of sense to you.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    trfox..

Perhaps that is why so many Brits want to move over here. At least in this country you can defend yourself!!! And the tax rate is a LOT lower than in GB!!!

As I said, we were planning on a trip to GB this summer, but think we'll go back to Costa Rica. We don't speak the language well, but we have a good time!!! The people are friendly, the weather is warm, the prices are low, and the beer is muy fria! LOL

See you manana at guntalk

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The Natural,Inalienable Right to self defense predates the laws of men..and our Creator DEMANDS you defend yourself....else why breath life into you to start with ?

Just because we have allowed a cesspoool of garbage to get control of power in this once great land...DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACTS.....

As stated above..one does NOT have to go to England to observe insanity...one can do it much closer to home...
  • Options
    flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's quite simple. You need to learn to depend on the state to provide for you in every aspect of your life. Also, you must understand that you are now part of a community. Your life is no longer yours. You must think of the greater good. You belong to your society, and thus the state that provides for the security of this society. Anything less, any free thought or free will on your part, and especially any stray ounce of humanity that compels you to question your masters in any form, well, this must be eradicated. You can not understand what is best for society. There is no room for selfish, creative thinking - including the creative thought that comes about when one has to decide to defend thier life. Submit to the state, they will take care of you. Question the state, or bring about any public discourse that could prove the effectiveness of the state to be a fraud, and you are better off dead.

It is all about control. Control over your life, your destiny, your existance. And may you simple masses never be at the helm driving the levers of your life.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never question authority.
    We're from the government, we're here to help.
    We know what is best for you.
    [/sarcasm]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    folks if i remember my politics correctly both communism and facsism believe the the community takes precedence over the individual. any democratic form of goverment is supposed allow and encourage the individual. could we be losing the democracy part of our govt? is it possible?

on a more serious note all lawsuits against an individual for defending themselves are based on excessive or unnneeded force. im not going to gradually move up the force ladder till i meet some level of equal force when being attacked, im going to use whatever means are at my disposal to cause immense pain and incapacitation to the attacker. i will go at it like he means to do the same to me.

the very concept of needing to justify my actions in defending myself is ludicrous

• Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    2gun...........Its not only possible...it is for the most part allready done.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You guys all need to move to Louisiana. Many years ago, 1982 I believe, but I could be wrong, the state legislature passed a "shoot the burglar" law. Prior to the passage of that particular piece of legislation, the burglar had to be INSIDE the house, and if you shot him, he had damn well better die and be found inside the house. If he made it outside and died, and you couldn't drag his butt back inside, you were in deep doodoo.

The law went into effect at midnight on Dec. 31st...and the first time it was put to the test was about 2 hours after the law took effect. An elderly lady shot someone THROUGH THE WINDOW of her home. He was in the act of cutting the window screen. Apparently she slept with a 45 cal. revolver under her pillow. Her dog woke her up, and as she saw the silhouette outside her window, she cranked off a round, then went back to sleep. Found the guy dead under her window the next morning.

In about 1997, our legislature reinforced the right of self defense when car jackings became a popular past time with a certain segment of our citizenry, so they passed a "shoot the car jacker" law. In essence, it said that if you were in fear of your personal safety, not necessarily in fear for your life, that you could drop the little dweeb. Since, in this state, your automobile is considered an extension of your domicile, it only made sense. As a result, carjackings went way down, real quick.

I thought I was going to have to do that one day, but when I pulled my 1911 up, they saw it and booked. Glad as hell I didn't have to pull the trigger. The sound of that baby going off inside a car would have left me deaf in both ears for a day or too!! LOL

Anyway, that's how it is here.

John

• Options
    edited November -1
    well that sounds nice but it took a act of the legislature to allow you to defend yourself in la. i'm in ny where before they even c9onsider a bill like that they want t find the root cause of crime.

im trying to figure out why we need a legislative act to approve self defense.it seems reasonable that if you are attacked you defend yourself if able, submission should be a last , not first resort.

• Options
    edited November -1
    2gun..

Those two pieces of legislation REINFORCED our right to protect ourselves. Depending on where you lived, and in some cases, who you were, or were related to, a district attorney could turn your rectal canal inside out if he wanted to if you should deign to defend yourself, your family, or someone else through use of deadly force.

A couple of judges had let bad guys go, and at the same time sentenced people for defending themselves against bad guys. That's why the legislation was passed.

And we know the root cause.

John

• Options
    edited November -1
    yep i understand selective enforcement of the law well.

the d.a. in manhattan (nyc) has decided not to prosecute religious ministers performing same sex marriage even though the state a.g has said it is against the law to solemnize a marriage when a marriage certificate cannot be issued. he feels(feelings again)that the courtroom is not a place for this issue to be resolved. yep the d.a. is now deciding which laws are enforcable and which arent, i guess he also decides who the law gets applied to.

this stuff pisses me off because it means people are not equal before the law
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I understand completely what you mean about unequal under the law. We see it every day, mostly from the 9th Circuit..but it still irritates my posterior!

John