In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

domestic violence law

merliniswisemerliniswise Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
can a felon or someone who was covicted of the domestic violence law own a muzzle loader? i heard they can .if anyone knows i like to here from them.

Comments

• Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I have heard that a felon can own any firearm that was made so long ago that it doesn't have a serial number stamped on it. Check with the ATFE home page.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    us55840: for most of my life I shared your feelings about "felons". But late in life I have had a very close experience that showed me that there are some very nice people who have made some bad business decisions and are now and forever will be a felon and have lost many rights. I am talking about decisions that many of us if in the same situation might very well have made. And I am not talking about even a hint of violence to anyone nor any intention to take something that didn't belong to them. I don't want to go into a lot of detail but you might have experiences in your life that will also change your mind.

PS: I am not a felon nor am I related to any so I have no personal axe to grind nor any personal reason to feel some pity for SOME felons (not talking violent or drug related felons here). More white collar.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure about other states, but in Louisiana, a convicted felon who has served his sentence, complied with all rules and regs concerning parole/probation, and has been a good citizen since his/her release, and who was not convicted of a violent crime, can petition the governor to expunge his record and restore all rights. As it stands now, convicted felons cannot own a firearm of any sort, or vote.

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Salvage33: I believe that ex-felons CAN vote. Until the last year or so I would have agree with you, but then I check directly with the Johnson County election office and was informed that ex-felons can vote. The law was changed to allow this when Pres. Carter was in office. One of the few productive things he actually pulled off. You might call your local election office to check because if I am wrong I sure want to know.

• Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tr..

Will check it out and let you know. I have always been under the impression that each state set it's own agenda, within guidelines, especially for national elections. But will call my buddy, the former registrar of voters for my parish and get the straight scoop.

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"
  • Options
    2gun2gun Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it is my opinion that the new law can turn any of us into a felon a short order and i am not so sure if i want to be the one saying that if you pissed off uncle sugar you should lose your rights to firearms. i believe that it should depend on the crime as to whether you should lose certain rights.

i also believe that after the debt to society has been paid, you should be entitled to all the rights and privileges you had before as a free man, the debt has been paid, noone should be forced to pay a lifetime of interest on their debt.if this is unpopular so be it but if the crime is so heinous that no rights are to be returned just execute the felon since he certainly cant come back into society ever.

happiness is a warm gun, preferably preban
  • Options
    MAXPOWERMAXPOWER Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a felon. On my probationary terms it does say that I have lost the right to vote. Also, I have lost the right to own a firearm. However, I do both. I have never hurt anyone unless out of neither self-defense, nor have I ever been accused of a violent crime. I have never been accused of using drugs, theft or anything else. I fled the scene of an accident when I was 18. I WAS NOT INTOXICATED! Stupid thing to do and I still don't know why I did it but I do know that I was simply scared. To make an example out of me they charged me with a felony. After a while I said screw them, I like shooting and I will continue to do so. I hate putting this type of info on the net but if it helps you all understand how screwed up these laws are it is worth it. I am now 26 years old. I keep a loaded pistol under the bed and why the hell shouldn't I? Over the years I have thought myself how to design websites and administer large computer networks and that's what I do for a living. It is very hard to get a job with a felony and even harder to start over when you are released from your cage with no money, a job, or a place to live. I now view police officers as a threat! Not because they are all bad people but because they have the job of enforcing stupid laws made by people in office. Some of you feel that all felons are violent people but with all of the stupid laws in place these days you have probably committed a felony in your time and don't even know it. I am a good man, a man that would never hurt anyone unless he had to. While incarcerated I met many of the same types of people that had also been VICTIMS of stupid laws. I live in a state where stupid laws are created everyday, and I just moved from a county where stupid laws are strictly enforced. Let's get real people! This country has gotten to a point where it is up to the state if they want to violate your constitutional rights. and that is exactly what the constitution was made to prevent. There should be far less laws in this country. Laws should not be so complicated that the average person can not understand them; but that's the way that it is. Laws are so complicated that common since plays no roll in determining what is legal and what is not... Not to mention what the consequences might be. I feel that if it is not a felony in one state of the U.S. it should not be a felony in another state. A felony is and should be that serious of a crime based on the consequences that are in place for it. That is where the word UNITED should come in. "The Right to Bear Arms" does not refer to human or "BEAR" arms :) It refers to the act of possessing and using a defense tool at any time. At the very end of the second amendment it also states: "shall not be infringed" as the very last statement made in the second amendment. That is the only point in the Bill Of RIGHTS where it is assumed that one of the rights will or might be "infringed" upon. I mean this is a constitutional law of the Country that we live in and it has been seriously "infringed"! Why do the people of America put up with it? The answer is simple. With as large of a population as this country has, the amount of people that don't care unless it happens to them has become the popular vote. I could go on forever about my feelings toward such an issue as this but instead I will simply close with a startling statement. I have also fell victim to real criminals in my life. I was once severely beaten and stabbed by over 15 people for no reason at all. I suffered multiple wounds, the worst being a knife wound to the lung. Think about what would have happened if I had been carrying a pistol and was properly trained in how to use it. Not to mention what would have happened if I was not the only one, but if only two of the other 10 people that were with me possessed and been properly trained as well. A bunch of bad guys would have been "incapacitated" and the GOOD GUY would have been going home to eat dinner with his family that night. The bottom line is that criminals DON'T think about the possibility of being harmed before they attack someone. That's because the chances of a victim being armed is probably as good as you winning the lottery. I would say that the odds are always in an attackers favor. The cops will never be there when a good person needs them. However, I cop will most certainly be there when you are breaking some minor law created by our Super Government. Where were they when I needed them most? They were probably taking some other guy to jail for possession of a marijuana pipe. Quote me on this, "Land of the Free, Home of the Unarmed".
  • Options
    2gun2gun Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    max, you have a lot of issues in your post but have you tried to get your record expunged? it sounds like youve lived an ok life since the little error in judgement you made.

nevertheless, you shouldnt anounce your status as a felon owning a firearm, thats about as wise as anouncing your 3rd production m16 will be done this afternoon.

as far as im concerned you did wrong,got caught paid the price, now you should be able to continue on with life.

happiness is a warm gun, preferably preban
  • Options
    edited November -1
    2gun, I agree with you to the point that I think your postition is the only posititon a fair and reasonable person can take on this.

• Options
    stalion10stalion10 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'm sorry, i under stand you dont think your crimes wasn't bad enough to warrant a felony, but the problem is that even though you were punished, you in my opinion still dont get the severity of what you've done. number (1) when you ran you did try to steal (inderectly maybe) but you still left the owner to bear the costs of repairing, or replacing what you have stated in your post that you damaged, destroyed. someone hit one of my con. equipment 10 or so yrs. ago. in affect costing my $4000.00 to repair, i eail to see the dif. in stealing $4000.00 from me or costing me $4000.00 just because you a are'nt desent enough person to take resonsability for you actions!!!!!!!! the end result has that i was out $4000.00!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i know desent law abiding citizens would understand what i'm saying and felons like you has to be told, and after being told, (which i sure the judge did tell you) just before he told you that you haness crime just landed you in jail) but you stand before us today whining like a child because you think its unfare that you ended up paying for what you did. if you want me to fill sorry for you send me $4000.00 plus of 10 yrs. interest on it that i have lost on that $4000.00 i had to use to fix it at an average rate of 10 percent per yr. because that is what it has averaged. which is about a grand total of over $12000.00 that is what someone like you stole from me and you have the gull to cry to me?! and what about a ladie that has 4 kids and can bearly make ends meet!!! if this happened to her were would that leave her. @#$% out of luck thats were!!!!!! or how about look the people that have been hurt, maimed, or killed, by felons like you. i could go on and on but i wont... to rap this up, you say that your the victim of the of "stupid laws" but the fact is your the victim of your own stupidity and people like, the afore mentioned people, and all other law abiding folk ane victims of felons, and i only use felon to describe you because i cant say what i really like to say about you and your likes because of the restrictions placed on this forum by gunbroker, you think about what i said o.k. and if you come back knowing how hanass you crimes here and how it affectes others then you'll be on the way of becoming a good citizen and can in my opinion pitition the courts to give you a second chance by expunging you record, and regain all of your rights back as a good citizen and i'll be the first to help you regain them, but until that time, your just another felon to me. and i would'nt piss on you even if you were on fire and it ment that i had to wet myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ED
    quote:Originally posted by MAXPOWER
    I am a felon. On my probationary terms it does say that I have lost the right to vote. Also, I have lost the right to own a firearm. However, I do both. I have never hurt anyone unless out of neither self-defense, nor have I ever been accused of a violent crime. I have never been accused of using drugs, theft or anything else. I fled the scene of an accident when I was 18. I WAS NOT INTOXICATED! Stupid thing to do and I still don't know why I did it but I do know that I was simply scared. To make an example out of me they charged me with a felony. After a while I said screw them, I like shooting and I will continue to do so. I hate putting this type of info on the net but if it helps you all understand how screwed up these laws are it is worth it. I am now 26 years old. I keep a loaded pistol under the bed and why the hell shouldn't I? Over the years I have thought myself how to design websites and administer large computer networks and that's what I do for a living. It is very hard to get a job with a felony and even harder to start over when you are released from your cage with no money, a job, or a place to live. I now view police officers as a threat! Not because they are all bad people but because they have the job of enforcing stupid laws made by people in office. Some of you feel that all felons are violent people but with all of the stupid laws in place these days you have probably committed a felony in your time and don't even know it. I am a good man, a man that would never hurt anyone unless he had to. While incarcerated I met many of the same types of people that had also been VICTIMS of stupid laws. I live in a state where stupid laws are created everyday, and I just moved from a county where stupid laws are strictly enforced. Let's get real people! This country has gotten to a point where it is up to the state if they want to violate your constitutional rights. and that is exactly what the constitution was made to prevent. There should be far less laws in this country. Laws should not be so complicated that the average person can not understand them; but that's the way that it is. Laws are so complicated that common since plays no roll in determining what is legal and what is not... Not to mention what the consequences might be. I feel that if it is not a felony in one state of the U.S. it should not be a felony in another state. A felony is and should be that serious of a crime based on the consequences that are in place for it. That is where the word UNITED should come in. "The Right to Bear Arms" does not refer to human or "BEAR" arms :) It refers to the act of possessing and using a defense tool at any time. At the very end of the second amendment it also states: "shall not be infringed" as the very last statement made in the second amendment. That is the only point in the Bill Of RIGHTS where it is assumed that one of the rights will or might be "infringed" upon. I mean this is a constitutional law of the Country that we live in and it has been seriously "infringed"! Why do the people of America put up with it? The answer is simple. With as large of a population as this country has, the amount of people that don't care unless it happens to them has become the popular vote. I could go on forever about my feelings toward such an issue as this but instead I will simply close with a startling statement. I have also fell victim to real criminals in my life. I was once severely beaten and stabbed by over 15 people for no reason at all. I suffered multiple wounds, the worst being a knife wound to the lung. Think about what would have happened if I had been carrying a pistol and was properly trained in how to use it. Not to mention what would have happened if I was not the only one, but if only two of the other 10 people that were with me possessed and been properly trained as well. A bunch of bad guys would have been "incapacitated" and the GOOD GUY would have been going home to eat dinner with his family that night. The bottom line is that criminals DON'T think about the possibility of being harmed before they attack someone. That's because the chances of a victim being armed is probably as good as you winning the lottery. I would say that the odds are always in an attackers favor. The cops will never be there when a good person needs them. However, I cop will most certainly be there when you are breaking some minor law created by our Super Government. Where were they when I needed them most? They were probably taking some other guy to jail for possession of a marijuana pipe. Quote me on this, "Land of the Free, Home of the Unarmed".

speed is what kills
  • Options
    ozwynozwyn Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Muzzleloaders are often classified in the same category as air guns by the ATF, and therefore are not regulated in a way that would prevent a convincted felon or misdemeanor domestic violence from purchase...

now, say, if you had a colt navy and then did a aftermarket modification to fire .38's... then you might be in trouble.

I suppose if you were desperate and carful enough you could use a percussion cap revolver for home defense... wouldn't be my first choice but history has shown the guns can get the job done if needed.