In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

illinois foid card

egatimraegatimra Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
Why hasn't anyone ever contested the constitutionality of this? I moved here from another state and I was a felon until I paid the state police 5 bucks so I could own a gun meaning I had no second amendment rights until that point. It also amazes me how many illinoisan believe the FOID card is a federal thing. They don't even realize their rights are being infringed.

Comments

• Options
    ArmaliteA4ArmaliteA4 Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    very good point..and a VERY good question[V]
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    egatimar, you have asked a question I wonder about more and more as I live life. I frankly cannot figure people out. Many times they will act like sheep, as with so quietly accepting the FOID requirment. But other times they will join together and fight like he!! for or against something they believe in. And I know of no easy way to unite them or to stir them to action even on important issues. I wish someone would explain it to me.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know one voice in the crowd is rarely heard but anyone I have talked to just doesn't want to get involved.[:(] Well I guess I just have to get more people riled up about it.
  • Options
    ArmaliteA4ArmaliteA4 Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The apathy in our society kinda makes me wonder. What would have happened in the days of WW2,if the same apathy was present back then that we DEFINATELY have now[V][V][V][xx(]
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the $5 you refer to, the cost of the card?

I never heard of a FOID card until I found this forum.

True story.
    A friend of mine moved here (Colorado) from Chicago.
    He told me the first thing he noticed is that the sky is actually blue.
    He had spent half his adult life "there" and never knew the sky was this blue.

Some people just don't know they are getting shafted.

As for the sheeple, over 20,000 UNCONSTITUTIONAL gun laws have been enacted, nobody is doing anything.

Apathy runs rampant.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah pickenup, and if someone so much as mentions the apathy that so many have they just get mad. Kinda like getting mad at the messenger but not the message. As you know when I first got active on GB.com I took a whole lot of heat for my efforts. And I didn't help or change ONE DAMN THING.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The $5 is for the card plus a application that asks you the same questions that a yellow sheet does. The idea behind it is that it only lets people who are allowed to own guns (non felons) own guns. (sarcasm on top of sarcasm) It obviously doesn't work, about two weeks ago we had a 16 y.o. pull out a handgun in the local mall and start blasting away at another kid over some kind of argument. The last I knew you had to be 21 to own a handgun in P.R.I.
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A previous topic on the forum asked for people in illinois to call and write their legislators got get this banned...Guess it did not work, I still carry one.

PJ

If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Life Member, AF&AM
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The FOID appears to have the same legal roots as the Nazi gun laws. There's not much difference between registering gun owners or registering guns.

In practice, it's not all that ominous. Compared to some places, gun owners in Illinois have a cakewalk. Still, there's too much political power hanging over gun owners from Mayor Daley and the current governor who share the same nightmare vision for us.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Options
    shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is what happens when you elect DemocRAT to Government. Hitler had all the address when the time came to pick them up.

Gun Owners` Rights Advanced In Illinois
    - Chicago Tribune--registration required
    The Illinois legislature has proven more friendly to gun owners` rights this year, with downstate legislators overcoming the anti-gun bloc from Chicago.
    Read More | Read Other News

_______

Illinois Governor To Permit Gun IDs At Age 18
    - Chicago Tribune--registration required
    Gov. Rod Blagojevich will sign a law allowing 18-year-olds to obtain a state firearm owner ID card without parental consent but will veto laws that seek to expand gun rights for retired law enforcement officers and people who use guns in self-defense.
    Read More | Read Other News

A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you.

NRA write your Rep. will save a stamp
    http://www.capwiz.com/nra/home/
    GOA
    http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm
  • Options
    azgunnut2@yahoo.comazgunnut2@yahoo.com Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just one more reason I moved from the land of lincoln , sure am glad to be in Tn (Az was also really "gun friendly" & nice) , at least I habe the option of a 'carry' permit . I have a Fla. ccw by the way ...
    write and call every elected offical at every given chance , and Vote!
    and consider what many of us "ex" illinoisans have done . MOVE!!!!!

Join / Support the NRA
    Guns are my friends !!!

Gunsmith / LEO
  • Options
    kd7onekd7one Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    State firearms licensing laws are not valid. I proved this in a book I wrote, but Gunbroker won't let me sell the book on the site because I don't have a credit card.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    kd7one: I would be interested in taking a look at your book which proves that state gun licensing laws are invalid. Although I don't know what good it would do us to have such proof in our hands as the state and federal government pretty much does as it pleases, at least in regards to gun right.

For example, the Kansas State Constituion, Sec. 4, of the bill of rights, clearly and emphatically gives the citizens the right to not only carry firearms for security and protection, but also provides for concealed carry by virture of there being no language in sec. 4 which prohibits concealed carry. And I course as we all should know, since all power comes from the people, any rights the people do not deny themselves is a defacto right granted. Yet we can get arrested for carrying visible in KS in many places and get arrested for carrying concealed in ALL places.