In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Newspaper Bans Guns

heathheath Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
I live in a small town outside of Ft.Knox,KY.We have a county newspaper called the News Enterprise.Before Christmas I ran an ad to sell my Mini 14.The ad said nothing about it being a semi automatic since I figuired whoever was interested would know .The woman took my infomation and the ad was run for 1 day.The newspaper called my house and told my wife they were pulling my ad because it was a semi.The reason it ran for one day was because the staff didn't know it was a semi until later.Mad,you bet!I personally went to the newspaper where they produced a policy stating that semi-automatics,pistols and such could not be run unless the person placing the ad had a FFL.My response has been to personally boycot the newspaper(canceled my subscription of 10yrs)and to tell anyone that will listen what a liberal rag this paper is!My question is;what else can I do?

Comments

• Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    heath

Tell everyone you know what they did. Ask them to tell everyone they know what they did. Then, if you can get enough folks riled up, go to the people who advertise in that propaganda rag and let them know that you (collectively) are going to boycott their stores and services.

Newspapers don't make any money from the sale of newspapers, rather it is on the revenues generated from the advertising and classified ads that they sell.

If business owners are faced with a boycott, they can bring a whole lot more pressure on the editor/publisher of the rag they call a newspaper than you as an individual can.

That's one way. It can be effective if everyone follows up on what they say they will do. We had our local paper here pull private sale ads on firearms from their classified section, but that only lasted about two weeks. Seems that some of the advertisers decided that they wouldn't buy/run their big full page ads as long as the paper had that policy. In our case, we were lucky.

Hope you're succesful in getting these morons to see the light.

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    It's America. Have a lawyer see if they can edit what people can or can not sell by Kentucky Law. Sue them for discrimination if possible.

Do an online Better Business Bureau complaint, they hate that.

Here is their web site:
    http://www.newsenterpriseonline.com/

Their address:
    408 West Dixie Avenue Elizabethtown, KY 42701
    270-769-2312

Their Email:
    ne@mail.the-ne.com

The whole dang country is slowly stopping personal firearms sales in papers. That's why I quit getting papers too.

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • Options
    heathheath Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Red223,tried to send you an email thanking personally along with salvage33.Both came back to me,so it will have to be done like this.I have told everybody that will listen but most people I find out do not want to get involved.IE;don't want to get involved unless it pertains to them.I tell them if they start with this and give other examples of lost gun rights,how long will it be before we have NO guns at all.The majority believe it wil never happen in the USA but again I point out that it has already started.Monday will find me at the BBB.This is good sound advice(not that yours wasn't salvage33)but this gives me a chance to vent my feelings of anger in front of someone who will hopefully listen and act upon.I will then start my search for a lawyer with a set big enough to take on this case.Nothing will change over night but will keep you posted as the fight continous.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our local paper did that years ago.
    No one took them to court.
    No one boycotted business.
    No one got off of their complacent butts and did anything.
    I called and told them why I was canceling my subscription.
    They had the attitude that, they did not care about me, or my opinion.
    Seems they were right. Did not make a difference to them at all.

This is part of the overall plan to register (and then confiscate) all of the firearms.
    If you are unable to "advertise" guns for sale, how can you sell them, buy them?
    That is why they want ALL sales of guns, at guns shows, to go through dealers with an FFL.
    Can you say REGISTRATION?

The media is being controlled. (and has been)
    This is just another step in their plan that we are forced to swallow.
    One step at a time, they are going to win.
    Apathy runs rampant.

Not that I see much hope but....Good luck.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The media is not being controlled by the gun grabbers, rather they are part of the conspiracy. They think that if they follow the politically correct crowd, that they will be in the vanguard of a new, sensible society. They live in a world where they have the first amendment to hide behind, and they get away with it.

But the big question that comes to my mind is what do they do when they fall out of favor, irritate the real power? How long do you think that they will be around to print anything? Does the term Pravda mean anything to anyone? What about Goebbels?

For those of you who were pre-pubescent when the Soviet Union collapsed, Pravda was the official newspaper of the Communist regime. They printed the party line, whatever it was. And if you argued about it, or didn't say what they wanted said, when they wanted it said, and how they wanted it said, well, let's say that you got first hand knowledge of the brutality of the Siberian winters in a work gulag.

Since our history books teach a "revised" version of what has happened in the past, tidied up the reality with a sanitized, more politically correct account, Goebbels was the Minister of Information for Adolph Hitler. He was a master of propaganda, seriously. But in the end, the German people suffered from Hitler's aggression, and Goebbel's lies. Someone has to pay the price.

Oh well..you reap what you sow.

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, Salvage33, I was one of those prepubescent teens at that period of time when the Soviet Union dissolved. Well, I was 17 at that time.

You know what really made me laugh? I saw on so televised news channel that a pair of jeans was being traded for a AK-47 there. I was floored at this unbelieveable statement. Completely false, guns are banned there (and as far as I know, are still banned).

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Remember how many seats were lost after AWB passage? Vae victis!
    Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Write a letter to the editor and see if it gets published. It would be pretty funny if it did!
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    pickout a few of the biggest advertisers who might have local concerns and write a letter to them telling them that you and a lot of your friends (have your friends sign your letter) would like their help in getting then ewspaper to resind their anti-semiautomatic policy. Reason being is that semiautos are legal and any legal item should not be excluded for sale just because the newspaper staff doesn't like that item. What if the newspaper was run by Muslims and wouldn't let Bible salesmen advertise? You know that would not be accepted.

Also, remember that the citizens are supposed to own this country and that all power is supposed to come FROM the people TO government. Now in the case of politicians obeying the will of the people because those politicians are nothing more than hired help, I will admit that doesn't always work so well. But there is another faceut to this "power resides in the people". The only reason that newspaper company is in business is because you, through your government, GAVE THAT NEWSPAPER A LICENSE TO OPERATE. Contact the government agency that issued their license (city license to operate, state license of incorperation, etc) and complain that that business is not using their business license in a fair and honest manner and you and your friends think something should be done about it.

I am getting kinda tired of typing, but if anyone wants to know more ways to harrass newspaper companies, let me know and I will give you more ways.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well..I can think of a few more ways to harass the newspaper publishers, but the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that I would end up in the pokey if I put any of them into action.

We want to take a higher road than that! LOL

John

• Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    heath
    you have been denied your first amendment rights to free speech.
    look for a lawyer to file suit along that line. no newspaper can survive among their peers if it comes out they do not support the 1st amendment for everyone. look for support to start a class action suit. most "I don't want to get involved" types line up if a chance for an easy buck turns up. with a small donation from all participants, take an add in their own paper asking for public support. if they refuse, your case is a shoe in! if they run the add, you win too.
    Jim

"all I really need to know I learned in kindergarten" Robert Fulghum

anyone who says "nobody needs a full auto" has never been in front of a brown bear charge
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You might want to contact the Thomas More Law Center. They handle free speech cases for free. Not sure where they are, but saw one of their attorneys on O'Reilly Factor last evening.

John

• Options
    edited November -1
    OK, no body cared to ask, but I am going to go ahead and post a new topic of what you can REALLY do about this that will REALLY upset the newspaper management.

Oh, and guys, we have GOT to start thinking outside the box and encouraging other gun owners to come up with new ways and ideas and to LISTEN to those ideas. By encouraging such exchanges we might pair up two mediorce ideas that joined together make one excellent idea.

All interested parties please look for my new topic post.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, let me say I think it's horseslime when a newspaper does something like banning ads for any legal items, semi-autos included. That said, let me also say that no one's free-speech rights are violated by such business decisions. The free-speech element of the First Amendment has to do with the GOVERNMENT passing laws to control speech. It has nothing to do with private businesses (such as a newspaper) limiting what employees and customers can say. Also, newspapers do not have to be licensed to operate. They have to meet legal requirements if they want to be incorporated, etc., just as any other business, but the government can't pull a license and shut them down for what they print or don't print. Each of us on this board could set up a newspaper in our garage and publish anything we pleased (and, conversely, deny publication of anything we pleased) so long as it wasn't libelous or an invasion of privacy. And even then, we could publish it, although we would be open to civil (rarely criminal) penalties. There's almost certainly nothing in a purely legal sense anyone can do about being denied a right to publish something in a newspaper. As the old saying goes, power of the press resides with those who own one. (I teach newspaper crapola at the university level so run across these press-and-speech issues as a matter of routine. And, in case the thought crosses anyone's mind, please don't label me a campus lefty. I'm a member of the Minnesota Weapons Colectors Association, support politicians who support the Second Amendment, own more than 120 rifles, shotguns and revolvers, and even occasionally help a local FFL dealer sell at shows.)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rossowmn: I agree with almost all of your post except the part about the newspaper not needing a license to operate. I am quite sure they need a city license to operate just as any and all businesses need such a license. Now I am not sure if someone could complain to the city agency that grants such licenses about being deprived of the right to have your gun advertised in the newspaper. BUT IT IS WORTH THE EFFORT TO FIND OUT. Charge discrimnation or some such.

• Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One word: Boycotts!!! I used to go see movies on occasion, and rent videos once a week. That is, until I realized how anti gun these people truly are. For example AOL Time Warner outright lied to get the assault weapons ban passed. They showed a cop (after all they are the only people who should be trusted with firearms, right?!) firing a full auto AK at a cinderblock. He completely destroyed the block. They then showed a stripped down "civilian" approved version of the gun shooting at another cinderblock. The block was not damaged at all. The cop later admitted that when he was shooting the civilian version, he was not even shooting at the block. This serves 2 purposes: It makes people believe the civilian version is somewhat safer than the semi auto with a bayonette lug, etc. and it implies that this ban must pass to stop "cop killers" from getting their hands on full auto AK's (which were regulated since Komrade Roosevelt's 1934 ban).

The fact is that everything you saw on the news was lies. Propoganda.

I vowed never again to watch a Warner Bros. movie, but they put out so many movies that I wanted to see. I started downloading them from the P2P programs for free that the Hollyweird people were trying to outlaw. Now I get to watch the movies I like without giving money back to these "film makers" who would love nothing more than to take my guns.

I truly support people's right to own guns, and I approve of those who want the full autos (hey, as of right now, I'm attempting to save up the $13,000 it would cost to transfer a registered "transferable" MP5K or MP5K-PDW).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    While I support and admire anyone who truly bocotts I have my doubts it usually does Any real good. Most of these companies are making such huge profits they probably don't miss the money not spent by the boycotters.

For 7 years I was in the highly competetive field of real estate sales. It is very, very difficult to maintain a happy relationship with a couple when I had their house listed for 3 months without a sale. But I found a way to keep most of my sellers happy with my efforts. I came up with a slogan I used to keep me going in the right direction. My slogan was "tell the sellers what I am going to do to help sell their house, tell when I do it and then tell them I did it." In other words by following my own advice I was able to get a lot more "mileage" out of any and all efforts I put into selling the house. Such as a special ad, or an open house, etc.

Maybe we boycotters should try something like this. Tell the company we are GOING to boycott them, tell them we ARE boycotting them, and then save some sales receipts (get the yourself, borrow, etc) from their competitors and mail then to the company you are boycotting with a note telling how they lost a lot of your money because you are boycotting them.

In regards to going to movies, at a multiplex you can always buy a ticket for one of the movies that is not anti-gun and then just go to any movie that you are interested in. That way you and your wife/date are still able to have a night out at the movies, but you are not supporting anti-gun movies (the ticket price you pay will be credited to the movie you agree with) but you can still see any movie that pleases you with no guilty conscience. JMHO.

• Options
    budaboybudaboy Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is truly a sad day when one business that is so dependant on the Bill of Rights (freedom of the press/speech)So willingly disregards any or all of the other inalienable rights in said Bill. Without one the others could not exist. I remember when the "newspapers" reported the news not gave opinions as the news. But they call it progress, I call it the dark days to come. Once again "do not confuse me with facts" seems to be the order of the day.

If it can cut, kill or maim, I want two.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    budaboy,
    Agreed 100%

and

Welcome to the melee. Pull up a chair, and join in the fun.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    Boycotts don't work??????They worked years ago,when beef prices went thru the roof.We all were eatin pork,the other white meat...and chiken and horse and......And the price fell...and we did it when coffee went meantal,and the corps,hadda get back in line.Problem is ,is getting enough folks together to make it work,Too much ME attitude now.....
  • Options
    budaboybudaboy Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the welcome Pickenup, I have a Lay-z-Boy and I am looking forward to a long and enjoyable time here. Oh and by the way I have a good supply of clorine.

If it can cut, kill or maim, I want two.
  • Options
    pipskickspipskicks Member Posts: 3,049
    edited November -1
    I looked through the LA Times back and forth and could not find one gun ad anywhere....
    I don't think the lawyer thing would work personally, but that doesn't change the fact that its total bullsnot.