In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Assualt Rifles in NJ?

jshaw16jshaw16 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
I'm new to this whole thing, but the past few weeks I've been looking at different assault rifles and the relevant NJ laws. Now, the way the law is worded, it makes it seem that anything even resembling say, an AR-15 or AK47 or G3 or whatnot, is illegal (there is even a specific list). However, I have seen AR-15's for sale in NJ stores and G3's in NJ for sale online. What's with this? Is there some way to legally dodge the assault weapons laws in NJ? For example, I've heard that a semiautomatic rifle cannot legally have more than one of the following: pistol grip, flash suppressor, grenade launcher, bayonet mount. I'd appreciate any help, thanks a lot.

Comments

• Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as I know, New Jerky only has two major State laws to contend with. The first one is that the magazine on it cannot exceed 15 rounds. The other, and I'm not sure it applies to rifles, but definitely handguns, is a requirement for it to possess some sort of "smart" gun feature, such as an internal deployment lock.

But, both laws are silly, unconstitutional, and evil.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I'll look into it further.
  • Options
    KhegglieKhegglie Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    see WWW.packing.org for state firearmlaws
  • Options
    jo-danjo-dan Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The new model AR15, the bushmaster and the M1A are exempted
    from the NJ assault weapon statute. For more info go to the
    NJSP web site, firearm Q&A. It is , however, illegal to possess
    large capacity magazines (greater than 15 rds)for the above
    listed rifles.

laissez les bontemps rouler
  • Options
    sksman761sksman761 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a Nappen II NJ Gun Knife & Weapon Law Book. Heres his web site at www.evannappen.com. High capacity magazines are still legal if they are blocked to 15 rounds with a pin or screw. Semi autos are legal but they cannot have more than two evil features. Here is a list of New Jersey legal post ban rifles: 1927 Thompson 45 semi auto, BAR M2 50 cal semi auto, post 94 AR15 or copies, Keltec sub 9, M1Garand, Mak 90 or copies, Marlan Camp Carbine, Remington 7600, Ruger 10/22 mimi 14/30 and Police Carbine, Dragunov or copies, SKS fixed magazine, Springfield M 1A or copies. Stay away from Ramsey Outdoor and larger shops they have no idea of what the law is.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey, its funny you mention Ramsey outdoor. I live in the next town over, and I went in for some info. The man tried to be helpful but really didnt give me any useful info. Thanks all.
  • Options
    sksman761sksman761 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reason I mentioned Ramsey Outdoor is because I went in there to buy a Mossberg Shotgun the first day I got my license this year. I asked the man if he had a Mossberg Shotgun that the US Military uses and he said no even though it was in plain sight on the wall behind him. He said it was illegal in New Jersey. I thought, oh well, I'll buy this Mossberg 500A Shotgun with a pistol grip. I fill out all the forms and he does the NICS, then he tells me I can't buy this shotgun because I am not 21. He was pushing me to buy another shotgun at twice the price. The salesman was lying through his teeth. I told him, "Goodbye". I waited a few days and went to a reputable store in Rockaway Borough, called the Silver Bullet. The owner knew everything there was to know. I ended buying an SAR1, the AK47 type with two evil features, pistol grip and double stack magazine well with a temporarily blocked 30 round magazine. That proves that Ramsey Outdoor is full of sh**. I would never shop there again. Sports Authority is not that much different. They don't even want to call NICS after 6:00 pm and take the trigger lock off so that it can be dry fired. Two other good stores are SARCO in Stirling and County Line in Hacketstown.[8D]
  • Options
    gop8558gop8558 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am so clouded on this isuue and looking for guidance for those in the know. i have been to 2 stores and no luck on the nappen book. i have ordered from amazon, but it is backordered.

i did a search on the net and found this document:
    http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_ag1.html

i guess my question is, what exactly am i allowed to legally purchase (AR15-manufacturer-year) in the great state of nj? from the document provided it only appears to be the colt, however i have seen other AR15s manufactured other than colt on the ranges.

any help or links would be helpful.

thanks

Encrypt with PgP
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Save me.. need pistol grips... <gasp> want 15 round magazines... <cough> just want a decent rifle... <choke> can't buy AR or AK... <sniff> Democrats have taken them all from us here... <gurgle> they are coming for you too!

<dying> must escape... kal... kali... KALIFORNIA!!! Aaaahhhhh!

Get your hands off my guns you damn dirty apes!

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -Gandhi
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sksman761
    [ Here is a list of New Jersey legal post ban rifles: ..... Remington 7600,

Wow! Is the 7600 really banned in New Jersey???

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    Broomie2Broomie2 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've lived in NJ for 42 years and still can't keep up with all the B.S. laws that come about each year. Though I think we'll all be saved (thanks to the our superior intellual state goverment) when the only hand guns avaiable in NJ in the next few years will be the smart guns, we can just question them.

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    And don't get caught with a hollow point, each bullet is a seperate felony charge!!![:(!]

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska