In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thousand Maniac March

WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
Since nobody has mentioned yesterday's "Million Mom March" (estimated at a few thousand), I thought I would jot down a few points. I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but here are some talking points for the next time you run into your local Soccer Mom:

1. I find it ironic that all of these Californians are shouting out in the media about extending the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, like our Senator Dianne Feinstein. California already has its own assault weapons ban in place that is far stricter than the federal ban. I think this shows this group's ingnorance of the current firearms laws.

2. Given point #1, I find it interesting how this same group would probably agree that gay-marriage is a state's rights issue, yet firearm legislation must be pushed at the federal level. I guess it is okay for San Francisco to defy its own state's current law and grant gay marriage because the majority of its residents would probably support it (although no election on this has ever been held). But God forbid that a pro-gun state be allowed to dictate its own firearms laws.

3. I also find it interesting how each interview with a participant of the "Million Mom March" also includes a snip about which of their family members was killed by a firearm. Most of them omit to mention how or by what kind of firearm. I doubt all of them were killed by a so-called "assault weapon", therefore their participation in this march was meaningless.

4. There were a few Columbine families involved in this "march". I find this interesting since, to my knowledge, the Columbine killers only had one firearm that may have been considered under the Federal AWB, a TEC-9 pistol. Besides, the Columbine killers were both under 18 when these guns were obtained, so there were plenty of other firearms laws in place that they were already breaking long before the AWB would have even been an issue.

5. I also find it interesting how many of these "assault weapon deaths" occured after 1994. Columbine occured five years after the ban had been in affect. A San Francisco Police officer was killed with an illegal AK-47 last month. Wait a sec, you mean after 10 years this ban is still not stopping these deaths? Sounds pretty ineffective to me.

-WoundedWolf

"History will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -Gandhi

Comments