In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

CNN - Headline

savage303savage303 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
http://www.cnn.com

This is bad news for gunowners and hunters! Anti-gun lobby always portray gunowners as trigger happy murderers and this news is music to thier ears! This is a rare incident but when it hits the headline it seems like a very common incident. I am puzzled as to how that crazy idiot managed to shoot 8 people without getting shot by the others. Which means either others were unarmed or he had rapid fire power or the others just could not believe what this idiot was doing.
I get so upset when hear stories like this.

-Dave

Comments

• dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Incidents like this are very rare. Just the media's chance to capitalize on some maniac's actions and demonize all gun owners / hunters.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Sarah Brady couldn't even make this kinda stuff up1 Let's hope the next major news story comes along and knocks this one off the front page. Would'a been a lot better for gun rights of one the victims had shot back and stopped/killed the shooter.

The media had to mention that the SKS used by the shooter was a "high power assault rifle". And of course if we correct that by claiming that a .308 or 30-06 round is much more powerful, then the anti-gun lobby will just turn that against us and claim that is all the more reason to outlaw ALL GUNS.

Man, sometimes we just can't win. Let's just hope the shooter didn't buy/own the SKS legally. That would make the situation look at least somewhat better for lawful gun owners.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TR, the odds that he owned it legally are low. At least 80% of all firearms used in crime are owned illegally. The guy was obviously deranged, and possibly had previous convictions.
    edited November -1
    dsmith, we can only hope.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is my understanding that the folks responding to the shooting of the first one down were unarmed, not thinking that they too might come under fire. I think it said that between the seven or eight that came to assist, only one was armed.

Yes, it is a sad day, and I hope that he was possessing it illegally, as it will make it a Federal crime as well as a state charge for the murders and attempted murders. And I hope they put him in jail for the rest of his life...plus 70 years...with no hope for parole.

John

The original point and click interface was made by Smith & Wesson
  • savage303savage303 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Brady bunch must be very busy preparing their next move. They must be yelling: Ahah! See, we told you what will happen if the assault weapon ban is lifted. I really hope that gun used in the crime is a illegal one. I saw one news item stating that this was a common "Deer Hunting" weapon. I have never seen anybody carrying a SKS on deer hunts in my area. It amazes me how bias this media towards gun owners. We must never put our guard down.The best thing we can do against the anti-gunlobby is to educate our children on gun ownership and pass down our heritage.

- Dave
  • DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the millions of hunters all armed and with more beer in their systems than anyone will ever admit hunters are NEVER involved in this kind of mess.

Hunters are far more likely to be killed or injured traveling to and from their hunting spots. Hunting if far safer than bicycle riding or skate boarding.

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage- The SKS is a pretty popular deer gun in my area. It's cheap, reliable, and the 7.62-39 is more than adequate on deer-sized game. Granted, it's not my first choice for hunting, but it's certainly not a bad choice

Molon Labe
  • riverriver Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah, I thought it was strange that so many people would let themselves get shot - want to hear from the witness/survivor
  • dlonewolflldlonewolfll Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Again CNN nad the anti's are putting the spin where it doesn't belong. To CNN--- IT'S NOT THE GUN STUPID; IT'S THE CRAZY BEHIND THE GUN!!!

I would like to see a full follow up story on the deranged lunatic that did the shooting.

My heart goes out to the families of the dead and injured and I sincerely hope that the justice they seek is not toward the firearm, firearm industry or the law abiding gun owner. I would hope they ask for and receive the ultimate and well deserved final justice (knowing the little sucker is going to fry and not take up valuable jail space).
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I was approaching a person in MY tree stand, with a gun in his hand, mine would be loaded and ready for discharge when I approach him.

Perhaps if the Brady Bunch would quit handing out advice such as beat your swords into plowshares, and give some more useful advice, such as "be wary of the man with a gun in a place he shouldn't be."

A good tip off to this would be the sight of any rifle with a 20 round magazine on it, especially a semi auto. What locality permits the hunting of any animal with 20 round magazines, anyway?

Something to think about.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
    edited November -1
    The assilants SKS might have been retrofitted with a 5 round fixed hunting mag or at worst a fixed mag with 10 round capacity.

• chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was misreported by the local sherriff. The weapon was a Saiga, not an SKS.

"Every child had a pretty good shot,
    To get at least as far as their old man got,
    But something happened on the way to that place,
    They threw an American flag in our face."
    -Billy Joel, "Allentown"
    edited November -1
    OK, thanks for info. I guess that would have limited the shooter to a 10 round max mag?

• mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like all sensational stories there is a lot of speculation about what happened. Seems like it was a 20 round mag on an SKS (style) semi-auto rifle. The stories start falling apart when the suspect is leaving, perhaps 100-120 feet away, and he turns on the this group. His story, a round came in his direction, within 30-40 feet, into the ground. He returned fire. And of course there were all the alleged racial slurs prior and during his departure. Odds, 8 to 1.

Their story is two or three of the group found him in the stand. He was ordered to leave and those at cabin were summoned by radio. They come racing down to the scene on ATV's. {One was them was quick witted enough to write this guys back tag number in the dust on one of the ATV's when he/she arrived.} The surviving victims allege he stopped about 100 feet away "took the scope of his rifle" and commenced to shooting them first while crouching and then chasing them on foot. First, the armed victims and then the rest. Many shot in the back and some more than once.

The sensationalism will die down and those of us close to the area will probably get more of the facts. The rest of the nation received the hype and will never hear the rest of the story.

A couple of things are for sure. The assailant spent several years in an Army Reserve unit, he was I presume then, a US citizen, of known Laotion [HMONG} ancestry. He was prepared to fight and had acheived at least a minimum marksmanship rating required by the army. . Many of his victims came racing to the scene on ATV's. They arrived at a gun fight without their guns. The suspect was without question trespassing. Wisconsin property owners do not have to post their property. Hunters are required to know where they are hunting and gain permission where necessary. There is little doubt in my mind there was a certain amount of provocation and probable self-defense involved, but it ended up going way beyond the limits. He will mount a vigorous defense I'm sure and time will tell. Meantime the funerals have started and northern Wisconsin will not be the same. Hmong immigrants will be in danger for a long time in that part of Wisconsin. Many Hmong grouops have already separated themselves from his defense.