In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NO GUNS ALLOWED!!!!!!!!

Bopeep2Bopeep2 Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
I got a big surprise the other day when I went to (Podunk) City Hall to pay my water/sewage bill. A metallic sign posted on the entrance; NO FIREARMS ALLOWED! Not only THAT, but signs have been posted at the entrances of the towns Park as well. (little do they know)......he,he,he. [8D]

Comments

• allrndcowboy123allrndcowboy123 Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it says no guns, it means no guns! I like having the right to carry my weapon legally. If you get caught carrying in a place very clearly marked not to carry, it will screw things up for the rest of us. Not to mention the consequences you will have to face for doing so. Do you think you will be mugged in city hall?
  • DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Today many places, parks and government buildings post signs like that even though the law clearly allows the carrying of firearms. Many of Arizona's park bureaucrats had similar signs posted after the shall issue concealed weapons law passed. Just because a sign is posted does not force you to disarm. Check local laws and never submit to pretend authority.

In Arizona, a private business has the right to make a reasonable request for you to check firearms with the owner/manager. Posting a sign saying "No guns allowed" is meaningless there. If they don't want to check your firearm that's too bad. There is no need to arm car thives.

Federal law allows the GSA to post signs in Federal building and since that's a federal law you're stuck with that at least for now. The same goes for National Parks and the portions of airports beyond where the TSA monkeys frisk passengers and ransack their carry-on luggage.

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now, all we need to see happen is a law passed (let's call it the disarmed victims act) that makes anyone responsible for the people they disarm while creating a criminal protection zone by disarming the citizens.

See how many of those damned signs come down.

ALL LIBERALS ARE PU$$IE$!!!

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allrndcowboy123
    If it says no guns, it means no guns! I like having the right to carry my weapon legally. If you get caught carrying in a place very clearly marked not to carry, it will screw things up for the rest of us. Not to mention the consequences you will have to face for doing so. Do you think you will be mugged in city hall?

You sir or madam do not get it. If everyone knew when they were going to get "mugged", anyone with half a brain would just stay home that day and not get "mugged". But there is more that you don't get.

You ask about citizens getting "mugged" in city hall as if that is unlikely. Well, how "likely" is it for a lawful, peaceful honest citizen, who have met all the legal requirements for carrying a concealed handgun, how likely is it for that citizen to use his/her legal handgun and misuse it in city hall?

And besides that, EXACTLY whom do you think is going to obey ANY sign posted outside city hall, stores, malls, etc about "no guns allowed"? Do you just maybe think the only people obeying such signs will BE THE LAWFUL, PEACEFUL CITIZENS? And do you kinda think that if a violent or deranged person, wanting to use a gun to harm innocent people, is actually going to stop, read the "no guns allowed" sign and then decide that, rather than violate that sign in their attempt to violate numerous laws about not killing, threatening, etc., then they will just go home and forget about their intended killing spree?

If such signs really work, why not post signs in front of stores/malls saying "no shoplifting allowed" or "no holdups allowed". If "no guns" signs will work, the signs I just mentioned should also work.

Oh, I forgot one sign. How about we post "no speeding signs" on the roads and highways? I mean, if "not allowed" signs work so well, why not?

Damn, PLEASE come back to reality. If you are any kind of progunner, we can use you in the real world.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
    edited November -1
    Listen, I am a lawful citizen who does carry a weapon legally. I agree that the disarmement of law biding citizens is wrong. I understand that the problem isn't with those of us who obey the law. However, your concern for your safety does not give you the excuse to break the law. Malls and stores place signs up but they are not the law. City hall is a different story. My city hall is also the local police station. Let me see you get the balls to carry in there and get caught. Have you ever been a victim of a violent crime yourself? I have been. An attempted car jacking on the west side of St. Louis. A thug hit me over the left eye with the butt end of a .357. I didn't have my CCW at he time so my weapon was unloaded, and it was all I could think about. To make a long story short, he didn't get my truck thanks to a stranger pulling up behind me. But you can believe the first thing I did when returning home was get my CCW. With all that, I carry everywhere I legally can. Know the laws.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allrndcowboy123

Your position makes you appear that you are very, very willing to embrace the numerous and worthless "no guns" signs.

Some of us, while wanting to stay lawful citizens and keep our rights, recoginze and speak out about how unnecessary, foolish and worthless such signs and worthless restrictions on our rights such signs really are.

If the anti-gunners were able to produce accurate and undisputable information that most gun crimes were committed on a Saturday would you also willingly and without protest obey a sign posted by your government stating "no guns" allowed on Saturday?

That is my point. Don't seem to be so damn quick and eager to agree with the "no guns" signs. They are worthless and only impact honest, lawful citizens.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Defender
    Today many places, parks and government buildings post signs like that even though the law clearly allows the carrying of firearms.

Federal law allows the GSA to post signs in Federal building and since that's a federal law you're stuck with that at least for now. The same goes for National Parks and the portions of airports beyond where the TSA monkeys frisk passengers and ransack their carry-on luggage.

It might interest you to know that if you read title 18 of GSA rules and regulations it clearly states the the "no guns allowed" on federal property DOES NOT APPLY if you are carrying for a "lawful" purpose such as being a hunter. It would seem logical that a "lawful" purpose should also include carrying to protect your family or self, or having a legal CCW license.

Yeah, I know, in spite of this who in their right mind wants to challenge this?

edited November -1
    I am not agreeing with the stupid signs. I am just saying that there are places where you cannot carry a weapon legally and you should obey the law. Thats all I'm saying. I am in no way agreeing with gun control at all. In fact I am trying to start a gun shop with a buddy of mine, where we will offer CCW classes and gun safety courses. If people start making the news for getting caught with a 45 in city hall, it may cause those who are in favor of more gun control to lobby against CCW. None of us want that.
    edited November -1
    Well OK then, maybe we do agree.

It is just that I notice that some dogs seem to like being on a leash and some resent it.

I am the dog that resents it and as a fellow gunner, I hope you are too.

edited November -1
    I'll put it this way... A temporary moment of discomfort is not as bad as a lifetime of pain. I feel unsafe without my weapon temporarily, I can't imagine how it would feel to never have it again. To me it isn't worth jeopardizing my rights just to carry it where I know I'm not allowed. Oh, I hate leashes!
    edited November -1
    [:D]

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    TRfox makes another good point...one worth repeating ..abeit in my words..[:)]

Just because some of us understand..and have the stones to actually call the empty suits making laws idiots...does NOT mean that we go out and break those UnConstitutional laws the idiots pass.Far better to be on the outside,speaking loudly about the insane movement towards tyranny..then to be incarcerated..with yet another voice throttled...
    edited November -1
    roger that Highball [8D]

edited November -1
    I live in Ohio, where the populace finally can carry concealed firearms. These ridiculous signs are everywhere. I don't go where there are these signs whether I am carrying or not, just over principle.

I am looking into a new bank but until I find one, I will be at the window, where they cannot deny me my firearm.

But I'll tell you right now, I will not intercede on behalf of the victims inside a kriminal protektion zone, but I will be waiting outside when the piece of crap flees, and I will let the public know where I stand on KPZ's. And if I know of people being preyed upon that have preyed upon my guns, pi$$ on them. They're on their own.

I'm not being a hero..... just a law abider.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

• DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whenever a state has legalized CCC the gun haters rush to post signs. Boycott the sign posters. The signs start comming down until there are none.

If you are summoned to jury duty you need not submit to a courthouse search to do your duty. Tell the security monkeys or cops in some places that you refuse the search and will never enter the building under a policy of searches that are warrantless or with no probable cause of a crime. Give them your jury summons and tell them goodby when they insist to a search. No judge can make you waive your Fourth Ammendant rights to serve on a jury. You will find yourself excused from jury duty for good.

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    Been gone awhile.....was wondering if any new anything of the 6 or so folks fired from a Oklahoma business for having LEGAL firearms locked in the trunk of their vehicles?
    Here to the company policy said No Firearms...However the finding of those firearms had to be illegal hadn't it? This is a very slippery slope......I realize the law in these other cases is law...and as such I will not go against it in a way to be arrestted.I WOULD however make sure they knew where I and others stood...and that they are losing business for it.
  • HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Concealed permit not withstanding, you CANNOT drive on to public school property in PA with any kind of gun in your car. This is true even if it is disassembled, in a locked case, and hidden in a locked trunk. Firearms are also prohibited in the Court House, most amusement parks, ball parks, etc. Do I like it? No. But it is a reaction to the wave of achool violence that we experienced in the US. You can actually be disiplined for pointing a finger nail clipper at someone.

Sako Fan
    edited November -1
    Some solution, eh??

Death to Tyrants!!!

• longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    So I guess shootin a squirt gun this summer is outta the question eh?Geez.........
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't go places where you can't take a firearm either. Down here we call "City Hall" the "Court House", but I guess it's the same thing. Sometimes you can't avoid going to the Court House. I'm not worried about getting mugged in the Court House, but there is some pretty questionable territory between the parking lot and the Court House. Also, in Virginia it is a violation of law to carry firearm into a place where the owner or proprietor prohibits it. I wouldn't go anyway.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
    edited November -1
    I don't blame you.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the list of legally "off-limits" places memorized. The state of NH has said where I can't carry (anyplace off limits by federal law). Municipalities do not have the right to prevent the carrying of firearms if there is no state law saying the place is off limits to CCW. Sign or no sign, I carry everywhere I legally can. If a business owner has a probelm with it they can ask me to leave and I will (to avoid being arrested for trespassing). Other then that they have no recourse.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chappsyny
    I have the list of legally "off-limits" places memorized. The state of NH has said where I can't carry anyplace off limits by federal law. Municipalities do not have the right to prevent the carrying of firearms if there is no state law saying the place is off limits to CCW and signs posted by business owners do not have the force of law. Sign or no sign, I carry everywhere I legally can. If a business owner has a probelm with it they can ask me to leave and I will (to avoid being arrested for trespassing). Other then asking me to leave they have no recourse against the lawful carrying of arms.

• chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Minnesota the law specifically states public buildings cannot prohibit CCW. However, many judges are having signs posted in county courthouses, claiming "seperation of powers" (i.e. the lege has no authority telling the judiciary what it can allow in its own buildings). However, courthouses are used for many other things besides judicial proceedings. I could see it, if judges prohibited carry in courtROOMS, and judicial offices and chambers, but not the whole building.

On a different vein, the University of Minnesota' Board of Regents claims to not be subject to this law, either, as the University was chartered seperately from the State Constitution. It is a Federal land-grant institution, and was chartered the year before Minnesota gained statehood.

Churches here claim the right to prohibit carry WITHOUT the need to post signs, citing seperation of church and state. They even want the power to prohibit you from storing weapons in your vehicle parked in the church parking lot.

It's all going to be very interesting to watch play out.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    ~Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here

"Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to
    harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~President George W. Bush
  • nomadictaonomadictao Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had my Swiss Army knife in my pocket when I went to visit the IRS at the Federal Building in downtown San Diego. I set off the buzzer and had to stash the little knife in the bushes down the street. The same thing happened at the county fair a few months ago. What a hassle- I keep forgeting that that little thing is now a leathal weapon.
    edited November -1
    chunkstyle....Why would anyone want to carry a gun into church?

Sako Fan
    edited November -1
    If a church binds to the trachings of Jesus Christ, not only would they allow it, but they would encourage it.

Luke 22:36

Besides that, why wouldn't any knowledgeable person want to carry. We don't wear our seat belts only when we expect to be involved in an accident, do we???

Death to Tyrants!!!

edited November -1
    "If a church binds to the trachings of Jesus Christ, not only would they allow it, but they would encourage it."

Could you elaborate on that?

Sako Fan
    edited November -1
    See Luke 22:36 for your answer as to why the church should encourage people to be armed.

• Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Indiana it is a crime to carry a firearm onto premises clearly marked "no firearms"

Court houses are definitely so marked.

A special exception is made for the public lobby of the US post office.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Not a member at the auction? Join Gunbroker at this link!
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hokkmike

Sako Fan

Same reason you carry anywhere else. Here are just four examples.

http://www.ctlibrary.com/ct/1999/oct25/9tc14a.html
    http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1204/195174.html
    http://www.washtimes.com/national/20031006-122416-7170r.htm
    http://www.mcjonline.com/news/03a/20030331a.shtml
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hokkmike

Sako Fan

Why don't we make life easier for all of us and only carry guns when we are going to need them to defend ourselves or family from violent crime?

Wait a minute! There are no guaranteed ways to know exactly when or where we are going to be potential victims of that violent crime.

Nevermind [:)]

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    There already has been a couple of church shootings in the recent past...so what makes you think you are any safer in church then walking down the street ?
    edited November -1
    JamesRK, I asked for evidence and you delivered. I can't argue with facts. I still (personally) don't think I could carry a gun into church but hope others are VERY discreet about it. Well done!

Sako Fan
  • Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The point that everyone seems to have missed is the "no concealed weapons" zones are the places where you are likely to need protection in the first place. Schools are a "Firearm Free Zone" here..ALL schools...but the only ones who observe it are the law abiding citizens. Sheeshhhhhhhh!

Think about it...the local Circle K has a sign.."No Firearms Allowed" but you are more likely to get held up there than at City Hall, but it is possible to get mugged there also.

John

A penny saved is a congressional oversight!
  • ArmedwithPrideArmedwithPride Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Virginia we have a preemption law. The state legislature is the only governing body that can make any law affecting firearms. Open carry is legal, cities cannot stop anyone from carrying in public buildings or city\county parks, and CCW is shall issue. There have been cases that cities\counties have tried to fight removing the "No Guns" signs in their parks or buildings since preemption was passed but, in the end, they have no choice but to follow state law.

I would like to point out that VCDL (Virginia Citizens Defense League) has a Petition for Rulemaking ready to send to the Depatment of the Interior that at least 18 other pro-gun organizations from around the country have signed on to. This petition will force the DOI to hold public hearings and consider allowing permit holders to carry in national parks. Please visit www.vcdl.org for more information.

Gunphreak, I love your disarmed victims act idea. But, on a side note, I must say that you are helping portray Christians as hypocrits with the questionable language in your posts. Christianity is under attack as much as the Second Amendment in this country and perpetuating the hypocrit stereotype only fuels the liberal fires.
    edited November -1
    ArmedwithPride, I must have missed something. What did gunphreak say about Christianity? If you are talking about his signature line, I guess it's not technically correct, but he pretty much has the gist of it.
  • ArmedwithPrideArmedwithPride Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He didn't say anything bad about Christianity. Since he's posting Bible versus I assume he is a fellow Christian so it's the cussing that I was talking about. Examples: PU$$IE$, damn, etc. I'm not trying to be holier than thou and I'm don't necessarily disagree with his signature line or its premise. As a fellow? Christian I was just making an observation. Also this is not relating to the subject matter of the post or forum so I won't comment on it again.

I would appreciate some comments on the Petition for Rule making by VCDL or Virginia law as that was the focus of my post.
  • Hunter375Hunter375 Member Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe this will clarify things:

C&P from packing.org

-It is unlawful for a person with a firearm permit to carry a concealed firearm in the following locations:

Any secure area in which firearms are prohibited and notice of the prohibition is posted
    A secure area of an airport
    Any courthouse, courtroom, mental health facility or correctional facility that may provide by rule that no firearm may be transported, sold, given, or possessed upon the facility. At least one notice shall be prominently displayed at each entrance to a secure area in which a dangerous weapon, firearm, or explosive is restricted

-What about private business, can they post signs prohibiting someone from carrying a gun into their business even though the person may have a firearm permit?

Naturally, private property owners may apply what ever restrictions they want, whether or not these restrictions violates ones personal rights is for the civil courts to decide. But the only statutory restriction on a permit holder is secured areas such as airports and federal buildings.

-May I carry my loaded and concealed firearm into a bar or other drinking other establishment?

There is nothing in state statute that prohibits permit holders from being in a bar with a concealed firearm. However, it is illegal to be intoxicated and in possession of a firearm. The level of intoxication that is considered illegal is held to the same standard as when driving a car.

I can't find anything on the legality of prohibiting carry in a public park, but I would carefully research it before ignoring the signs.

It's easy to spot liberals-they are the ones who have no assets to protect and need every handout they can get. They have forbeyed themselves ascendence to a productive lifestyle.
  • Texas Gun RunnerTexas Gun Runner Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would you not carry at church? Sure, make sure you're discreet, that's the whole point of carrying "concealed". No one else is supposed to know. The only places you can't carry in TX is a bar, a bank (unless you have written permission from the bank president), the post office, and any public building that has a legal sign forbidding carrying of a firearm. A legal sign has to actually cite the law that limits where a firearm can be carried, it can't just say "no guns". In the city where I live, you can even carry in government buildings, including the court house, you just can't carry in the actual courtroom. As for businesses that have "no guns" signs, I still patronize them, and I still carry while doing so. I figure, if it makes them feel safer to post a sign that puts no legal restrictions on me, that's fine. If they really don't want people carrying in their business, they need to take the time to do some research and put up a legal sign. If I'm doing my part and keeping my weapon properly concealed, they will never be the wiser. I work at the mall, and according to the company I work for, even if I'm not on the clock and it's my day off, I am not supposed to carry in the mall. Yeah, right! If I'm legal, and I'm breaking no laws, no one is going to tell me I can't carry. Just my 2 cents worth!

Rebellion to Tyrants is obedience to God--Thomas Jefferson
    The only way Governments can induce citizens to surrender their rights is convincing them that by doing so, they will gain a measure of safety in exchange.--Thomas Jefferson