In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Banning PICTURES of guns in UK [sigh]

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-02-23T122613Z_01_DOB344678_RTRUKOC_0_BRITAIN-ADVERTISING.xml

LONDON (Reuters) - A "threatening" beer advertisement depicting a double-barrelled shotgun pointed at the viewer has been banned by Britain's advertising watchdog.

There were 51 complaints about the advert for Ruddles ale which featured a shotgun positioned at the reader from between two pub stools, and read: "Excuse me, I believe that's my seat."

Complainants said the advertisement, which appeared in newspapers, was offensive and irresponsible because it condoned the threatening use of guns.

The Union Pub Company said the advert was particularly offensive to pub landlords.

Greene King, which produces Ruddles, said the advert was part of their "uncompromisingly from the country" campaign, which targeted male bitter-drinkers who would recognise the humour behind the advertisement.

The Advertising Standards Authority said on Wednesday the advertisement was "unlikely to be seen as condoning or provoking anti-social behaviour" but added it could be considered threatening and was likely to cause "serious or widespread offence".

The authority told Greene King not to run the advertisement again.

avitar.jpg
Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Not a member at the auction? Join Gunbroker at this link!
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Pretty soon they will have the "word police" going around making sure no one speaks the word "gun".

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are so anti-gun in the UK it isn't even funny, but....
    I get a "little" uncomfortable ANY time, a gun is pointed AT me.
    Be it in pictures or otherwise.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Good point pickenup. That was a bad move on whoever thought that particular part of the ad up.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    George Orwell is starting to look like an optimist, isn't he?

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."