In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Private citizen wanting to buy??

aerogenius1aerogenius1 Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
I am an average citizen and firearm advocate. I would like to be able to purchase ammunition, firearms, including full autos either mail order, internet, gun shops, etc. What type of FFL license would it take to be able to purchase such things?


  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as I'm aware, you need a Class 3 license just to own a full-auto, then you would also need an FFL for conducting purchases acrosss state lines.

    I believe both are administered by the BATF. The forms must be sent via regular mail, they are not available electronically. For the FFL, you must have a retail location that you will be doing business as a gun dealer (I believe this can be your home).

    I looked into the FFL for doing out-of-state purchases, but for as often as I would do this it would not be worth the time, effort, or money.

    Here is the BATF Firearms website:


    "...That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state."

    -The Debates in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Virginia, on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution. June 27, 1788.
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your state permits it, you can transfer a full auto, provided somebody had it legally registered before 1986.

    If you want to get a newer machine gun, or a gun from out of state, you would need a FFL and SOT stamp for the machine gun. Even if you are an SOT, you can't just buy a new machine gun. You need to get a police "request for demonstration" letter saying what machine gun the police would like to test. You'd need a law letter for each full auto you wanted to transfer. If you were a Class III licensed manufacturer, you could convert a semi-auto to full-auto, but you couldn't have a full auto shipped to you through the mail without the law letter. Once you stop paying the $1000 (or reduced $500) tax on your business, you'd have to give up all of the post-86 machine guns you owned. If you wanted a new machine gun, you must have a business, and then get the police law letter requesting that gun. Then you could keep it until the police decide to buy it from you, or until you give up your license, whichever comes first. You also have to have a business to buy guns from out of state.

    My reccommendation: if you want a full auto, save up the $16,000+ it would cost for an MP5 or M-16, the $6,000+ it would cost for a full size Uzi, or the $3,000+ it would cost for a transferable MAC-10. If you want a "regular" gun, have it shipped to an FFL in your state, and then transferred to you.

    If you are serious about getting a new Full Auto, you must have a business selling guns to the police.
Sign In or Register to comment.