In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

One hangun a month - narrowly averted in PA

HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
Two bills, one to limited handgun purchases to one a month, and the other to allow local muncipalities to set their own handgun restrictions, were narrowly defeated in Harrisburg by the PA legislature. It only takes a lapse of vigilance and, wisely remove - rights are gone!

Sako Fan

Comments

• HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I HATE it when I do that - It is handgun, not hangun....SORRY!

Sako Fan
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was not passed........this time.
    Have to watch them every second.
    Look at what they are trying to do in California.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • 65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, one gun a month laws bite. I mean if you already have 1, 2, 3 guns or more they make you wait anyways. Look at nevada, and other populations like the swiss in europe. Just about everyone has a gun there and crime is at its lowest levels. Muggers are afraid to go out on the streets.

I moniter the proposed laws of several states at a time and what is going on in CA is outrageous. All anit-gun laws do is create a safe working enviroment for criminials (AKA britian).

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: I agree, one gun a month laws bite. I mean if you already have 1, 2, 3 guns or more they make you wait anyways. Look at nevada, and other populations like the swiss in europe. Just about everyone has a gun there and crime is at its lowest levels. Muggers are afraid to go out on the streets.

65gto389, I agree with your arguement, but I have to disagree with one of your examples. Nevada, where I live, is not considered a low-crime state. The last FBI statistics I saw placed us well above the national average for violent crimes per capita. There are many factors that go into this. One is that our state population is about 2.2 million, but we host 40 million tourists each year.

The good news is that our violent crime rate declined from 2002 to 2003 (04 stats aren't published yet). However, property crimes are way up. I too believe that "an armed society is a safe society", but even in relatively gun-friendly Nevada we have to consider the statistics. Gun rights alone do not make us safe.

-WW

wwsm.GIF
    "...That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state."

-The Debates in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Virginia, on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution. June 27, 1788.
  • 65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All states have crime. However states like nevada have lower crime rates than states like california, or new york, or D.C for example where guns are severly restricted. Yes gun rights alone do not solve the problem, but it is a step in the right direction.

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quickdraw67, you're right. I don't like Rendell. The Fuhrer of Philly. He tried to ban all .22 ammunition, 12 gauge shells, and ammunition that could be used in an "assault rifle", etc.

We can also thank Philly and Pittsburgh for making this state vote for Komrade Kerry.