In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FFL

MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
what do you have to do to get a FFL.

Comments

• Options
    MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am going to apply for a FFL to do sales, primarily on-line of a narrow range of hand guns. How difficult is to get one (I have the application already)? I am in NJ which may automatically make things more difficult. Does the ATF co-ordinate it's application process with local authorities?

Any pointers or help is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    #1. You will need two FFL applications. One sent to washington(your local ATF office), the other to the county sheriffs office(CLEO).

#2. You will need form 5330.20?? (3-2002) to certify your compliacne with 18 U.S.C 922(g)(5)(B); or the ATF will not act on your application and it will be returned to you. Basically this form certifies that your are in fact a US citizen.

#3. A sellers Permit

#4. A COE (certificate of eligibility)

#5. Dont know about NJ but I am almost certian you will also need a permission slip/ permit form the sheriff/police for a liscence to sell firearms.

#6. Several fingerprint application cards (forget exactly how many or the correct form #). If not mistaken must be done(prints taken) at the sheriffs office.

#7. Dont know about NJ but you may need to apply for a HSC(handgun saftey certificate instructor). Again dont know about NJ but you can not sell handguns to an individiual if the 'safety' demo has not been performed. If you plan a business; it is much easier to hire someone to administer the test to first time handgun buyers, and to show the safe handling demo to customers that buy a handgun. Obviously LE, retired LE, and military can buy handguns without all this hogwash. If you state has HSC program it will be the hardest liscense to obtain, as you will be required to go to get certified as a rangemaster so you can comply with the HSC requirments(other stuff can comply but I forget). As said before, it will be easier to hire an employee that has all the necessary HSC liscenced instructor.

#8. The form (forget which #) that says you have a safe or certified locking device to store you guns at night when you are closed for business.

#9. If you plan to sell powder and large amounts of bullets, the form that says you have a powder magazine to store such items. If you do not deal in real large amount of powder you should have no problem. Besides you can keep a limitied supply of ammo on the shelf, and the 'motherload' in back and replace the boxes that are bought by customers.

#10. Contact your local ATF branch and local sheriffs office of what you will need to do in order to become a FFL dealer.
    www.atf.treas.gov

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin