In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Men Such As These

MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
I read in these pages the words of many who fear the loss of rights hard won throught the blood and toil of patriots. I share your concerns and yet, when looking back over the long history of this country, I am encouraged by the fact that good men of character have risen as necessary and fought for freedom and stood on principle. Read this:

Retired vice admiral James Stockdale, Ross Perot's running mate in 1992, died yesterday at 81, the Associated Press reports:

Stockdale was a genuine war hero:

During the Vietnam War, Stockdale was a Navy fighter pilot based on the USS Oriskany and flew 201 missions before he was shot down on Sept. 9, 1965. He became the highest-ranking naval officer captured during the war, the Navy said.

Stockdale was taken to Hoa Lo Prison, known as the "Hanoi Hilton." His shoulders were wrenched from their sockets, his leg had been shattered by angry villagers and a torturer, and his back was broken. But he refused to capitulate.

Rather than allow himself to be used in a propaganda film, Stockdale smashed his face into a pulp with a mahogany stool.

"My only hope was to disfigure myself," Stockdale wrote in his 1984 autobiography "In Love and War." The ploy worked, but he spent the next two years in leg irons.

My dad knew him. You could not find a humbler
more self-effacing man. Isn't that the way it usually is? The talkers, complainers and whiners are just that, talkers. The doers are the workers, the people who put themselves on the line, standing on principle, working until the job is done regardless of the cost.

Write and encourage one another in these forums, then go out and fight the good fight to maintain our freedoms. Join the NRA and GOA, go to meetings, write (coherently) to congressmen, senators, editors, make yourself heard.

These forums are great places for ideas, but for the most part they are dialogues among like minded people. Our country was founded on the right of free speech and dialog. We need to persuade others that we are correct. We face, with regards to gun rights, more than anything else, ignorance. We need to take the fight to those who seek to take our rights away.

Better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comments

• Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Yep! Lot of truth posted there.

4lizad
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Matchshot posted;

quote:These forums are great places for ideas, but for the most part they are dialogues among like minded people. Our country was founded on the right of free speech and dialog. We need to persuade others that we are correct. We face, with regards to gun rights, more than anything else, ignorance. We need to take the fight to those who seek to take our rights away.

Really ? Like minded people ? Indeed. Take a poll, friend...you would surely be amazed at how many gun-controllers there are on these forums. People believeing that this or that gun law is just wonderful...after all " If Just One Life " ect...

Pray tell me. PLEASE. How in'ell are we going to "convince" strident ANTI-gunners that gun control is EVIL...when we have so many Queseling so-called PRO-GUNNERS running about selling out the Second Amendment ? HUH ? I fear the gunner compromising away rights FAR more then the Anti-Gunner. At least the Anti-Gunner is HONEST in his shrill hatred of guns.

Tha "pro-gunner' accepting or working for gun laws is precisely like getting into a barroom brawl with a bunch of rowdies with your brother...and your brother stabbing you in the back as you advance into the fray.

No...we need to put our OWN house into order first...gather as many REAL men as possible and educate them into what freedom IS...before turning attention to the haters of guns. That is why the arguments MUST be carried on in these forums.
  • Options
    MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While you "put our own house in order" the anti gunners are out in the public forums working hard to take our rights away. My point is, specifically, forums such as this are great for sharpening your debate and gathering ideas from, for the most part, like minded individuals. We must take the fight to the enemy in the battlefield where the laws are made and opinions shaped, the legislatures, the schools and the public media. A hot note from someone here gives me points I may not have thought of when I write to the paper or my congressman.

Better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So go to your 'battles' with a host of traitors to your cause..

Witness the full scale routs that have happened in the past...and will happen again in the future.

Doing the same things overe and over again..expecting different results. The defination of insanity.

20,000 gun laws. That classifies as a total rout. Your Rights are gone. Continue doing the same things.....The Anti-gunners need the help.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:People believeing that this or that gun law is just wonderful...after all " If Just One Life " ect...

If even one life is saved.... What if the cost is 5 lives? Is that worth it? Well, that's what the current situation is.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Matchshot is right. We spend an awful lot of time on this forum tearing each other apart over mole-hill differences of opinion (that some folks see as giant mountains). I usually don't mind it because it sharpens my viewpoint and helps me hone my debating skills against the anti-gunners. But I don't think I have seen anyone on this forum that is truly anti-gun. There are some folks who have spoken up about supporting background checks or restrictions on full-autos, but the truth is that these folks are probably not going to be the ones that all of a sudden backstab you in the middle of a fight. If somebody is on a crusade to get rid of backgrounds and full-auto restrictions then I will probably not be standing beside them, but I will not be standing up against them either. And if it gets to the point where those are the last remaining gun laws left to fight, then I will be pretty happy with the progress that we've made.

At this point I think it is a bit silly to argue over who is pro-full-auto or anti-background check when pretty soon we may not even be able to own a revolver or a muzzleloader. Matchshot is correct because every moment of fight that we direct toward each other is one moment that we spare from our real enemies, the anti-gun politicians and their supporters. I'm just as guilty as the rest. If you all look at that total number of posts underneath your name on this forum and then imagine if those were total letters that you had sent to politicians and anti-gun groups instead, then that would be a heck of a lot of letters.

-WW

wwsm.GIF
    "...That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state."

-The Debates in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Virginia, on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution. June 27, 1788.
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WoundedWolf has a few good points here. I think of a lot of the "gun supporters" like I think of Dubya. Claims to support "Assault Weapons" ban, and probably would support it if it was handed to him, but won't oppose you on their own. Think of the regular "save my hunting rifle" gun owners as regular Republicans. They won't generally introduce an anti-gun bill on their own, but may jump on the bandwagon when somebody else does it.

For example, picture a regular hunter who says something like "I support gun owners." He might meet somebody who owns a semi-auto "Assault Rifle" or an actual full auto. He might be somewhat interested, or briefly wonder why the individual wants a gun as such. He may claim to support a ban on such guns, but wouldn't initate an attack on these gun owners, unless there was already a publicized attack underway.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have more respect for an enemy that has the balls to get in my face and tell me hs wishes to disarm me...then a so-called 'pro-gunner' that will sell me out..FOR ANY REASON. Witness 'Dubya'..notice how close to 'bubba' that is....