In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pro NRA/GOA...ect. Question ?

HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
What is your goal in supporting these organizations ?

Prevent more gun control ?
Build a climate favorible to gun owners ?
Roll back gun laws ?

All/none of the above ?

Comments

• Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    All of the above. And it can easily work if only half of the gun owners in America support the NRA, GOA or any good pro-gun organization. There would be no problem with overly restrictive gun laws and no need for an armed rebellion/civil war.

4lizad
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:What is your goal in supporting these organizations ?

Merely to deflate the "guns are evil" mentality that has permeated our society. Nearly everyone I have taken to the gun range that was on the fence about gun rights has left the range as a gun enthusiast.

Now I can't go around to every city in the country and invite all the fence-sitters out to the range for some plinking (would be fun though), but the NRA can set up organized shoots, send out Eddie the Eagle to the schools (if they will let him in), offer youth camps and scholarships, etc., etc., etc.

My goal is that hopefully these national organizations will reach a few more people than I personally can.

-WW

wwsm.GIF
    "...That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state."

-The Debates in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Virginia, on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution. June 27, 1788.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree WoundedWolf. I believe ALL the pro-gun rights organizations could do a much better job of helping create new gun-supporters. It would help with the gun rights war and even be a continuing source of new, and paying members for those gun rights organizations who are always needing more and more money and looking for more and more members.

For example, if I was sold cars for a living and the majority of Americans knew little or nothing about cars, I would borrow a car from my companies inventory and advetise and find non-drivers and take them out for a drive and let them see how much fun it is to own/drive a car. By doing this I would be creating a whole new class of potential "customers" which would help me.

I don't know why all the pro-gun rights groups don't do this with guns.

4lizad
  • Options
    kaliforniankalifornian Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Primarily so that there will be large and semi-powerful propaganda machines to help counteract the flood of anti-gun propoganda. Secondarily because the NRA in particular, has a lot of great educational programs for anyone from children too young to handle guns (The Eddie Eagle Program) all the way up to instructor training and competive coaching.

I don't fully agree with most of these organizations, but I'd rather have them somewhat sort of on my side rather than nobody. Power is wielded by the collective in our society, and these groups represent a large and well funded collective, even if they compromise too often for my tastes.

http://Blog.LestDarknessFall.com
    http://LestDarknessFall.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well said Kalifornian. But keep in mind that we citizens are far from the center of the battle. If we knew as much as those pro-gun rights members who are at the "front line" we might not criticize them for at least some of the compromises they make.

Even in my case, during my life I have had to make compromises. Not that I liked it, but by doing so I usually came out of the situation with a least "half a cake instead of no cake at all".

As complex and crooked as law making is, who knows what kind of compromises have to be made? And I doubt that the leaders of the NRA (or any other pro-gun organization) are usually able to publically blab about who, what, when and why they had to compromise.

4lizad
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Repeal all gun kontrol laws. That's my stance. No compromise. Ever. If we compromise, we are giving up ground. They will then use the ground that we gave up to mount more attacks.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    dsmith Posted - 07/13/2005 : 12:56:28 PM

quote:Repeal all gun kontrol laws. That's my stance. No compromise. Ever

The ONLY reason to support ANY organization dealing with gun control.

The othere side of the story...it ain't gonna happen. Therefore..I will stay away from all such groups. Standing in a circle bragging on how we slowed down this or that gun law is what we did 25 years ago...
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    I think, generally, the purpose of these orgs is to stem the flow. I don't believe in the end they will stop the hemorrage to our rights. To take a fence sitter shooting is an excellent start, I have given several, valuable guns to people so they stay on the right side of the fence. Only condition is I get it back if they decide they don't want it any more. I don't own 1 gun so I can shoot I own may to teach many to shoot.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun.
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good job codenamepaul! We need all the supporters of the second amendment we can get.

Once I get back to college, I plan to take several people out shooting.