In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Judge Roberts, Friend or Foe?

WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is the newly nominated Supreme Court Associate Justice, Judge John Roberts, a friend or foe to the 2nd Amendment?

It is looking more like he is a foe. Here's the only comment I found online so far from the newly nominated justice regarding the 2nd Amendment:
quote:
I WOULD POINT OUT ALSO THAT THE U.S. DISTRICT COURTS, INCLUDING THIS ONE [the D.C. Federal District Court], HAVE ALSO BEEN UNIFORM IN REJECTING THIS ARGUMENT [for the individual right to keep and bear arms]. JUDGE ROBERTS HAD A CASE THIS SUMMER [2003], AND HE SAID:

"SINCE MILLER [U.S. vs. Miller], THE LOWER FEDERAL COURTS HAVE UNIFORMLY INTERPRETED THE DECISION AS HOLDING THAT THE AMENDMENT AFFORDS A COLLECTIVE RATHER THAN AN INDIVIDUAL RIGHT ASSOCIATED WITH THE MAINTENANCE OF A REGULATED MILITIA," AND HE WENT ON TO SAY, "WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE FIFTH CIRCUIT, THE COURTS OF APPEALS HAVE CONSISTENTLY HELD THAT INDIVIDUALS HAVE NO FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT TO POSSESS A FIREARM."

Full text of article is here: http://www.keepandbeararms.org/Silveira/halbrook.asp

-WW

wwsm.GIF
"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -Samuel Adams, Patriot/Brewer

Comments

• Options
    DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neither Bush has ever been a real friend of gun rights. I don't see enough information to view Judge Roberts accepting the idea that we have a Second Amendment right at all. Miller is an easy case to overturn for a multitude of reasons.

On the other hand as a lower court judge he must follow existing Supreme Court Rulings.

I'd never support someone like Roberts who thinks Miller is somehow good or valid law. He's either a gun hatwer or he just didn't get it. I don't think this guy's worth fighting for. Next???

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    G.W. Bush may be the only president in recent history not to pass a federal gun law. Reagan had the FOPA, and the "cop killer" ban, G.H.W. had the "assault weapon" import ban, Clinton had the "assault weapon" ban. G.W. supports the AW ban, but hasn't actually signed anything. We need better politicians.
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's for certain.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How would we go about getting better politicians? I would like to see the Constitution or Libertarian parties take more control, but both the Republicans and the Demonazis would unite to stop a third party. What would any of you suggest?
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about he toss out a few of them?

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    ~Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here

"Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~President George W. Bush
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    "Toss a few of them out.."...good idea. Ain't gonna happen...never enough at a time.
    The beer swilling, pot-bellied fool across the road will stumble down to the polling booth in sufficient numbers to cancel out intelligent votes...EVERY TIME. Couple that guy with those absolutely petrified that the "Other Guy" will INSTANTLY destroy the planet..weither Demorat or Repubiclian...so GOD FORBID we vote for a 'third party candidate"...they all conspire to flush America down the tube in an ever increasingly tighter spiral....

The shear refusal to admit to oneself that BOTH major parties are seeking to destroy America...is to me the spearpoint of ignorance,stupidity...or both.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree that neither party is very good. I would like to see one of the good third parties take hold, but it doesn't seem likely to happen any time soon.

I know that in my area, a larger-than-normal set of people voted for Clymer of the Constitution Party instead of the semi-liberal Arlen Specter. It is possible, but it just isn't happening. Each side seems to blindly follow their party.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another up and coming 3rd party you all might be interested in:

http://www.patriotparty.us/

-WW

wwsm.GIF
    MOLON LAVE

samsm.gif"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."

-Samuel Adams, Patriot/Brewer