In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NRA comments on NOLA.

65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
Courtsey of the NRA

NRA-ILA Grassroots Alert Vol. 12, No. 36 9/09/05

NRA-ILA COMMENTS ON SITUATION IN NEW ORLEANS

Numerous media sources are reporting on a campaign by New Orleans city authorities to confiscate lawfully-owned firearms from people in the city. Louisiana statute does grant the government, during a state of emergency, broad powers in regulating and controlling firearms.

However, we have seen not just with Hurricane Katrina, but other similar situations, that when police are unable to control the criminal element, people turn to the one freedom that protects all others--the Second Amendment.

While one can certainly understand the dire predicaments of all those affected by Hurricane Katrina, as we have learned throughout history, campaigns to disarm the lawful do nothing to disarm the criminal. And in truth, these restrictions make citizens less safe. Despite the valiant efforts of many law enforcement officers and rescue workers, too many of those left in the wake of Katrina are ultimately responsible for their own security and safety and that of their families and loved ones. This is especially true when communication is virtually non-existent and police can't be quickly summoned to respond to calls for help. At these times, lawful gun ownership is paramount to personal safety.

Of course, the entire situation in New Orleans is constantly in flux. But rest assured NRA is monitoring this situation very closely and will address any activity by the government that unduly infringes upon the rights of lawful gun owners at the appropriate time. As we learn more, we will report to our members accordingly. In the interim, however, we join with all Americans in offering our thoughts, prayers, and assistance to the victims and survivors of this terrible natural disaster.

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
- Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I think I got those in here somewhere:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=168235

As well as the GOA alert.

My brother e-mailed me tonight and said, "If the feds or police took your legal gun from your legal residence, I think the NRA and ACLU lawyers could sue their pants off for violating your civil rights granted under the Constitution."

My response was, "Yes, I'm sure the disarmed folks in New Orleans are on the phone right now with their ACLU/NRA lawyers. I'm sure the folks in New Orleans feel much safer tonight knowing that the NRA is "monitoring the situation."

-WW

wwsm.GIF
    MOΛΩN ΛABE

samsm.gif"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams, Patriot/Brewer
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't look for lawsuits against the government over the Katrina mess to go anywhere. The same for criminal prosecutions of officials for misconduct.

This is where we stand up or stand down as a nation. The sad truth is that we have no backbone to stand up anymore. Shut up and turn in your guns.

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.
  • Options
    ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are indeed sad, sad days. "shut up and turn in your guns", this is an all to sad but true revelation. MEN, it's time to stand up and be counted. All you armchair Generals out there, don't worry the real MEN of this country will once again fight for YOUR rights and guarantee your right to defend yourselves. What an oxymoron that is![:D]

"Don't look back,Something might be gaining on you"-Satchel Paige
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Despite the valiant efforts of many law enforcement officers and rescue workers, too many of those left in the wake of Katrina are ultimately responsible for their own security and safety and that of their families and loved ones.

Valiant efforts, huh? Disarming innocents, and depriving them of protection is NOT valiant. It is monstrous. I swear, the NRA needs to stop reverring law enforcement the way that they do, and decry those who use their badge as a way to bully law abiding citizens into surrendering to the criminal element in the name of "security". That they didn't is equally monstrous.

Civil disobedience, anyone?

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We need to deal with this outrage. The courts can be counted on to side with government on this one. What can we do? If the founding fathers were alive the smell of gunsmoke would fill the air.

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From another post.

Concerning what is happening in New Orleans, not much will come of it. There may be a few skirmishes down there with the local folks, but no one is going to go down there and start anything. You see, they still have their lazy boys, their big screen TV's, DVD's, X-BOX, 3 squares, a roof over their heads, and 2.3 SUV's, (if they haven't traded them in). Not to mention their guns.

What is happening in NO is in some far off distant land, for most of the sheeple, just something on the news, and they will not let it affect their everyday lives. This may sound kind of funny, but this is not a large enough event. (I guess ALL that do not go down there, are guilty of this)

Now if/when we have another terrorist attack (or something similar) and the "whole country" is under a "declared" state of emergency. When they are breaking into EVERY home to take ALL of the guns, only then will we find out who the real patriots are.

We could go into what would happen at that time, with no leadership, no preparation, no communication, but I'll leave that for another thread.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can you say, "media blitz"? This is a golden opportunity to show those on the gun ownership fence, why we NEED our guns. They are the majority. Swing them and you forever swing a big stick.

"Molon Labe"; ancient Greek for "Come and get them".

To the brave men in that narrow pass so long ago, freedom was more important than anything; even their lives. May we ever remember that fact should we be issued the same degrading terms.

"If I find you here Tonight, THEY will find you here in the Morning"
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As you once told me, Comengetit, "I smell what you are steppin' in". [:D]

The general lack of media presence from the Pro-2nd-Amendment crowd is just sad. I have felt that way for a long time. I once posted on this forum my frustration as to why the NRA doesn't run regular radio or TV ads. If I can hear an advertisement for the local plumbing company 15 times a day on the radio, or if the local real-estate agent here in Reno can run a 2-hour block of TV on Sunday morning, then I don't know why the NRA (or GOA, JPFO, SAF) can't run a few 30-second radio ads a few times a week around the country.

I agree that a media blitz would be a good move. The only obstacle I can think of is that maybe the TV/radio/newspaper media companies are so ardently Liberal that they would never let a pro-gun organization advertise on their media. Although it seems that they usually won't deny a paying customer. I know we still get the 1-hour Billy Graham Crusade specials around here every few months, on PRIME TIME TV. Those certainly aren't in-line with the Liberal agenda, but I'm sure they pay for the time (and even preempt network programming).

It would seem like the NRA and the others could afford some 30-second commercial slots.

-WW

wwsm.GIF
    MOΛΩN ΛABE

samsm.gif"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams, Patriot/Brewer
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Each of the pro-gun lobbying groups say that the media is biased and won't run their ads. Maybe then, but not now. Hell, I'll go sell it to the networks. I'll even get the damn ads discounted. Pitch one network against the other. Nobody in the media wants to be perceived as calous. Never a better time than RIGHT NOW! This is an extremely hot topic around the water cooler and the window has already started closing.
    COME ON PRO-GUN ORGANIZATIONS YOU WANTED A BREAK, YOU GOT ONE, ARE YOU BLIND, LET'S GO!!!!!!?

"I also want to know under just what authority New Orleans officials are confiscating lawfully-owned firearms from law-abiding citizens,"-Alan Gottlieb
    "If I find you here Tonight, THEY will find you here in the Morning"-
    Me and some bumper sticker