In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NRA Files Gun Confiscation Lawsuit

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
On two gun forums I feel I am constantly rubbing shoulders with NRA haters. I can understand someone feeling no support for ANY organization, no matter how good. And of course the NRA is a mixture of "good" and perhaps "bad" depending upon where you stand on gun rights. Yet time and time again I observe numerous othewise reasonable and nice people who seem to have a life-long grudge against the NRA.

Most recently numerous people flew into a hysterical rage against the NRA after we all heard about the gun confiscations in LA after the Katrina Hurricane. Many complaints were posted by people who were angry (even some NON-MEMBERS) that the NRA didn't IMMEDIATELY take some kinda of, ANY KIND OF, ACTION against the gun confiscations. Even though any reasonable, patient person would have know that it only made sense to take a little time to investigate the full details of what had actually happened/not happened and to determine exactly what kind of actions the NRA should/should not take. Well the below posted alert I got from the NRA shows that the NRA IS taking legal action.

But you know what? Even with this new information I don't expect any of those previous complainers to even now have any good things to say about the NRA. Oh, maybe to save face a few of the complainers will throw out a few limp words of thanks, but I don't expect anything more.

And I can guarantee you that none of those complainers will respond to the NRA's request for donations to help with this expensive legal fight that WILL BENEFIT ALL GUN OWNERS.

So if you chose to read the below posted NRA notice, then have at it.

OH, and have a "nice day".

arm Seizures In New Orleans

Help support NRA's efforts in New Orleans. Click here to make a contribution.

(Fairfax, VA) - Today, the National Rifle Association (NRA) filed a motion in United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana seeking a temporary restraining order to block authorities from confiscating law-abiding citizens' firearms in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

"New Orleans is the first city in the United States to forcibly disarm peaceable law-abiding citizens and it must be the last. Victims are dealing with a complete breakdown of government. At a time when 911 is non-operational and law enforcement cannot respond immediately to calls for help, people have only the Second Amendment to protect themselves, their loved ones and their property," said NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre.

"The NRA stands with law-abiding Americans, who agree that at their most vulnerable moment, their right to defend themselves and their families should not be taken away," said Chris W. Cox, NRA's chief lobbyist.

According to The New York Times, the New Orleans superintendent of police directed that no civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to have guns and that "only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons." ABC News quoted New Orleans' deputy police chief, saying, "No one will be able to be armed. We are going to take all the weapons."

"The NRA is determined to stop this blatant abuse of power by local politicians. It is disgraceful that any government official would further endanger the lives of innocent victims by issuing this ridiculous order. We are very grateful to the many rank and file police officers who have come forward and assisted NRA in exposing these violations of constitutional freedoms. We are also pleased that the Second Amendment Foundation is joining us in this effort," added Cox.

4lizad

Comments

• jaflowersjaflowers Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's good to see them taking some action on this.

Glad you're posting on this side of the discussions again. Hope you're doing well.[:)]
  • shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fox
    I am with you on the NRA, even if they are in support of the anti-gun senate bills amendments .
    I have heard hundreds of reasons why not to join. I don't want to be on a list . The most referred to is they are always asking for money. Well if you don't have it to give you can call member ship and tell them to flag your account and you won't get any begging mail from them. This also saves them money.
    They do a lot of good , hunters safety for one .
    Eddy Eagle program in the schools .
    And the do try very hard to teach cop how to shoot.
    This fact may work against us sum day. Cops were our friends years ago , now it seems they are the enemy . They do the bidding of the government now. One of the things that Tee's me off is this
    sever and protect on the patrol cars. They not only can't protect they rarely sever us.
    The real enemies of the people are the people we send to congress and the ones that work in the government.

May God save the people , or should I say may the people save them selves .[8D]
  • ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tr fox, sir, I don't know you but there are some folks in here that speak pretty highly of you. You may be surprised to know that those people are the very ones that helped to drive you away.

I think at times we all tend to let our emotions get in the way of our true intentions and the respect we may have for others. It would be an honor if you would accept my humble invitation to return as a regular to "this side of the boards." Sure, it can get a little heated but hell, that's what I love about it. I'm not talking about that baby crap name calling. I'm talking about guys sticking to their guns (pun) and calling it as they see it.

I've learned quite a bit since my short time here and if these guys say your alright, then you must be. I've grown to respect their opinions and have found ways to disagree without feeling a need to slam my point home by belittling people or calling them names. OK, I did once, but hey he had it coming. I know, we burried the hatchet. So, tr fox what do you say?

There are two kinds of people in this World.....Those that lead....And those that get the hell out of the way....GUT CHECK!...Which one are you?
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is the same thing I posted in the GD forum.

quote:We are also pleased that the Second Amendment Foundation is joining us in this effort
    At least this article gives "some" credit to the OTHER gun rights organization that is CO-filing this motion. Good to see them working TOGETHER in this.....kinda.

I imagine the Second Amendment Foundation could use donations also. But then, this must be an NRA news article.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    P.S. Welcome back, but if you want to go another round about the NRA, you better grow some REALLY thick skin, because the gloves will come off this time.

Just a friendly warning. [;)]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOOT! Good to see you back here, TR!

I have been monitoring the alerts from NRA, GOA, SAF, and JPFO on this issue since it has started. I have to say that NRA and GOA have been equally proactive on this (with the NRA being quicker out of the gate in the first few days). Apparently SAF has been working behind the scenes with the other two, as they have not been providing as many public alerts as NRA and GOA. Not sure where JPFO is, but I'm assuming they are working in the background in a similar role as SAF. Yes, it is heartening to see these organization COOPERATE!

quote:They do a lot of good , hunters safety for one .
    Eddy Eagle program in the schools .

Shootsright, these too are the reasons I am still an NRA member. Whenever possible, I try to specifically allocate my donation to the NRA Foundation, the non-profit educational wing of the NRA.

-WW

wwsm.GIF
    MOΛΩN ΛABE

samsm.gif"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams, Patriot/Brewer