In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BATFE Buying Up Transferrable Machine Guns?

ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just saw an ad in the Shotgun News where they will buy your legally transferable machine guns for top dollar. Now I see these ads all the time but this one just hit me kind of strange. I could be and probably am way off base but I would swear this looks like the government has placed this ad. If this is true we may have been blind-sided. Think about it there are 185,000 transferrable machine guns out there, the only entity that could possibly make a dent in that would be old Uncle Sammy and his merry men. What value would you put on legally, silently removing all of the machine guns, or a hefty bunch of them, from the private sector?

At roughly $12,000 per gun that seems to be an awful lot of guns they could spend our money on. I can hear them laughing now, "we didn't have to pass a law, we didn't have to worry about going door-to-door, we didn't have to worry about public outrage, and we did it with their money. I sure would like to know for sure, even if this ad isn't, there sure could be others that are.

Scary! I like it much better when I know our machine guns are out here not in there.

Comments

• Options
    jaflowersjaflowers Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hadn't seen those ads here but that would be a bad scenario. talk about driving the price up on what's left over. it'd be crazy. [:(]
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be a wealthy anti-gunner with the same agenda.

Someone with money like Ted Turner, Bill Gates, the Waltons, ect......they could attempt to corner the market on class 3s, then either destroy them, or sell them back for a nice profit.

The Govt. approach sounds reasonable too. After all, they can always say they were buying weapons for their agencies
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would think that it would be illegal, like some form of collusion or controlling prices and free trade and commerce. They would effectively be artificially inflating prices by removing products from the market place that have a finite quantity and since that finite quantity is also under their control.... I'm sure they would have already tried something like this, don't yah think?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If its been tried, I've never heard of it.......besides, why would the goverment interfere.......after all, its machine guns that they are removing from the marketplace. If the govt. wanted you to be able to own a Machine gun, they wouldn't have artificially drove up the market price (by instituting a ban) on them in the first place.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Right, I'll agree with that but what if their not satisfied? I mean 185,000 machine guns is still alot and that doesn't even take into consideration all of the illegal ones out there.

I'm really sick of seeing great MG's for sale at astronomical prices when dealers can buy and own them for a fraction of the price. Hell they're not much more than a SAW. It's total fricken bullsnit and I'm fu**in' sick of it. I love it when I get all fired up like this, stir myself into a frenzy, knock my head against the wall a few times and then go to bed.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess their finished lighting it up at Knob Creek for the night, huh? Damn, I want to do that just once, go to Knob Creek that is.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its about a four hour drive for me, but I've never been. I have a buddy that lives about 30 minutes from there....he asks me to go all the time, but I never can get free
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, IF the BATFE wanted to stamp out full auto's, I don't think they would be buying them at horrendously inflated prices. They would raise the transfer tax fee to $100,000 per weapon. Before you chuckle, look at how much the $200 tax was when it was first implemented- and folks worked for a dollar a day. [xx(]
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Actually, this idea makes a certain warped bit of sense.

Raising the transfer tax would certainly cause quite a stink.

Merely using stooges to buy up existing stocks of full auto's would ensure the vanishing of a weapon they fear...without raising one eyebrow.

A few years ago, a "phamasuitacal" (Spelling ?) company opened on a ratty street in Tulsa...mostly populated by prostitutes and junkies. Advertised all sorts of test tubes, gizmoes..in local free 'traders papers'..I wondered about it for a couple years...till I read about sweeping drug busts generated from this store front....A Dallas paper reported it, by the way...never made the local papers at all....Whoed a 'thunk it'.... Sometimes it is easier to lower the river..then raise the drawbridge.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Well, IF the BATFE wanted to stamp out full auto's, I don't think they would be buying them at horrendously inflated prices. They would raise the transfer tax fee to $100,000 per weapon. Before you chuckle, look at how much the $200 tax was when it was first implemented- and folks worked for a dollar a day. [xx(]

True, but the gun didn't cost $12,000-$75,000 either. Raising the tax leaves room for scrutiny, just buying them up is cheaper in the long run and we'd never see it coming. Besides, the Federal Reserve can just print them up cash. No problem.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HighVolumeOfFire
    Its about a four hour drive for me, but I've never been. I have a buddy that lives about 30 minutes from there....he asks me to go all the time, but I never can get free

Dude, you gotta' go. Go for me so I can live it vicariously. [:D] I know what you mean, I've lived in Arizona for 26 years now and, ready for this, I've never been to the Grand Canyon, Go figure. [:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r

You do realize you're talking about an institution that pays $600 for a hammer, right?

There are two kinds of people in this World....Those who lead....and those who get the hell out of the way...GUT CHECK!...Which one are you?