In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Looking for info on "sensitive primers"

Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
I've read about Feds using sensitive primers to show some semi-autos will fire "full auto" and would like to reply to a guy on another forum.

IIRC there were two types -- a very sensitive primer that would fire from shock when the bolt went home and a "protruding" primer that would get hit by the bolt face and fire.

Either case (aren't they what the military calls "slam fires"?) would cause the firearm to fire without trigger being pulled, thus "full auto"?

Wild Turkey"if your only tool is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail"

Comments

• Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The primers were part of the BATF's attempt to "manufacture" evidence against semi-autos so I hoped someone here would help me with the facts.

Wild Turkey"if your only tool is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail"
  • Options
    jaflowersjaflowers Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quikdraw67
    Sorry, sould have read the post more...though you were talking about "Federal" primers

Neo-Jedi Council
    th_reblogo.gif
    Scoundrel
    ar_captain.gif

THAT'S FUNNY!!!![:p]
  • Options
    ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jaflowers
    Sorry, sould have read the post more...though you were talking about "Federal" primers

Neo-Jedi Council
    th_reblogo.gif
    Scoundrel
    ar_captain.gif

THAT'S FUNNY!!!![:p]

I know I was laughing my * off...glass houses Quikdraw...Glass houses.[:D][:p][:D]
    Gotcha[;)][:D][:D]

Neo-Jedi Council
    th_rebspin.gif
    Naboo Sniper

There are two kinds of people in this World....Those who lead....and those who get the hell out of the way...GUT CHECK!...Which one are you?
  • Options
    ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my bad....

comengetit, you have mail

Neo-Jedi Council
    th_reblogo.gif
    Scoundrel
    ar_captain.gif

Just playin' wit' yah QD.[:D][:D][:D]

Quikdraw-Back at yah on the mail thing.

Neo-Jedi Council
    th_rebspin.gif
    Naboo Sniper

There are two kinds of people in this World....Those who lead....and those who get the hell out of the way...GUT CHECK!...Which one are you?
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I've read about Feds using sensitive primers to show some semi-autos will fire "full auto"

I wonder which BATFE idiot they get to test this. Sounds dangerous to me. What if the cartridge went off before it was seated in the barrel? Maybe that is what they are hoping to prove.

Wild Turkey, you might want to post this in the "Ask the Experts" forum. A lot of folks over there are good with technical questions.

I will give you a personal anecdote. Many of you have heard of California's "Certified Handgun List". Basically a handgun manufacturer has to pay several thousands of dollars (and a few sacrificial guns of that model) to get a particular handgun "certified" for sale in California. There are only 3 or 4 gun facilities in the whole state that are licensed to perform these "drop tests", as they call them, for certification. One of those facilites just happened to be the indoor gun range that I used to go to. One day I went to the range while they were performing these tests. They had one range closed off just for these guys, so there was only one other range open for the public and there was a bit of a wait to get a shooting lane. Anyway, I watched these guys do their "tests" while I was waiting. I was assuming they must have been former cops and ballistics experts working for CA DOJ or something, but after watching these guys I wondered if they had ever been trained to use a firearm at all. They were waiving loaded guns around in front of each other, wildly firing in various directions (always wondered how those bullet holes got into the ceiling), and while I was there they somehow started a FIRE in the range. I don't know how you set something on fire inside a concrete and metal gun range, but they figured out how to do it. They came scrambling up to the front of the shop looking for a fire extinguisher. Biggest bunch of yahoos I've ever seen on a firing line.

JMHO,
    WW

wwsm.GIF
    MOΛΩN ΛABE

samsm.gif"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams, Patriot/Brewer