In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Another NFA Amnesty?

MPfiveengineerMPfiveengineer Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
Hey Guys, I am new to the gun broker forums. I am an active member of the HKPRO forum, and a not so active member of AR15. Anyway I remember seeing on some other forum that another amnesty similar to the one in 1968 may happen again and that the Attorney General could make it happen quite easily. In all truthfulness what is the likely hood of this happening? On the same post I also saw that the 1986 machinegun law (922o?) might over rule the General. The thing is, I would really like a HK sear but I don't what to save $10k for one and then have prices plummet. I am not looking at this as an investment but as a shooter.

BTW I was introduced to this forum by pickenup. He invaluably helped me out at a pistol tournament this weekend here in Boulder CO. For those of you who haven't had the privilege of meeting him he is truly a stand up guy.

thanks
Ken

"A wise man will often simplify the complicated, while a fool will complicate the simple"

Comments

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Welcome, MPfiveengineer;

Any friend of Pickenup is worth listening to. The conversations here abouts sometimes range into the ballistic...just fasten your seat belt (government ordered) and hang on.

Ammnesty ? Who knows ? If the Jack-Boots get the idea that there are a vast number of unregistered full auto's floating around..they may very well open the door to get them 'on the books'...all the better to confiscate them when its time.
  • ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome MPfiveengineer. [:D]

If pickenup invited you then you must be worth listening to. Didn't have to meet the man to know he was a standup guy but hearing it confirms it. [;)]

I would be very suspicious of a new amnesty, there can only be one reason for it, as Highball said, get them on the books and then they know where they are. When and if that happens I wouldn't go jumping headlong into those waters, I think I'd like to feel it out for awhile. Besides I don't own an illegal machine gun but, if there was to be an amnesty I may have to make one. I don't know, tough call. The sheeple will think "this is great" and those who don't have blinders on will be very hesitant as to the motivation behind it. Especially since this will undoubtedly leave a gaping hole in the responsibilities of the jack-booted thugs known as the BATFE. They will fight something like this with everything they have, being too stupid to see the long term goal at hand.

The BATFE isn't the org. with the agenda, they were turned loose knowing exactly what would happen thus creating a fall guy, if you will. There is a Fraternal type organization that is pulling these strings, I can't prove that it just feels that way. I think an org. like the Free Mason's Society, which disappeared off the map, may have just gone underground and is behind this drive to raise the Elites far and away seperated from the rest, creating a void where the middle class used to thrive. This in turn means there will be much more poverty to come and less government help, they will pull back the reigns on government funded aid much to the applause of the average Amerikan. Unfortunately, the same folks who applaud today will fall victim to it's results tomorrow.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagl.gif911_memorial_flag_our_flag_was_stil.gifculpepper-01.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_az_2fagl.gif
    There are two kinds of people in this World....Those who lead....and those who get the hell out of the way...GUT CHECK!...Which one are you?
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MPfiveengineer,
    Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you made it. How did your MP-5 run on the rifle stage?

As for another amnesty, I would like to think that I keep up on gun related topics, I have not heard any rumbling about this from anywhere. Do you remember where you saw it? Can you post a link? I would like to find out the source of this information.

The likelihood of another amnesty is (in my opinion) slim to none. While some say we are making progress in the gun rights arena (with more states "allowing" CCW laws to be passed, along with Alaska enacting a new law that lets the citizens carry THROUGHOUT the state, BTW the new law starts Wednesday) the sheeple (even quite a few gun owners) do not want the average citizen to be "allowed" to own a machine gun.

MOST think they are completely illegal now, and GASP in utter distain, when informed that they ARE LEGAL to own. They would fight tooth and nail to stop any more machine guns from becoming available to the general public. There are many more that would fight it, than there are of us.

Start saving your money. [;)]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • nick357nick357 Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they did do an amnesty would they allow them to be transferable?, can you make a sear if you pay the $200.00? for getting aproval from the atf rather than paying 10k for a pre nfa one.

Forgive me if im sounding ignorant as i dont know your law's but i heard you can still make full-autos if you line the pockets of the batf.
  • MPfiveengineerMPfiveengineer Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for you well thought out replies to this post. Pickenup the MP5 did great but the red dot is another story. It was about 5" right and 8" high at 25 yards.

I have read about amnesty on several other forums but one of the best sites is

http://www.adamsguns.com/nfa

One reason I think an amnesty may actually happen is the FA firearms our boys would like to bring back from Iraq as war trophies. Since our government has decided to them in so many other ways, maybe they will throw them this bone.

Now on the rare chance that it does happen I think the one in 1968 was 90 days. From what I understand during this period any FA made prior to or during this period can be registered as transferable. Since I have a lot going for me I have no intention of making anything illegal until an amnesty is declared (then it would not be illegal). So basically we would have 90 days to get our hands on FA firearms and register them. I also think all post 86 dealer samples could be registered as transferable during an amnesty.

Nick357 the only way I could currently make a sear right now is if I got a Class 2 SOT permit (Special Occupation Tax) which is about $1000 a year. These are difficult to get (you must show that you intend to do this as a business) and you can only sell your products to government and law enforcement. I don't know if you are able to make toys for yourself but I do know that if you do let the license expire or the ATF decided not to renew it you must sell or destroy everything.

"A wise man will often simplify the complicated, while a fool will complicate the simple"
    edited November -1
    Nick,
    The following is from the ATF. I think this would answer your question on if a person could make a NEW sear.

(N1) May an unlicensed person make a machinegun?
    Generally, no. But, in the event that documentation can be provided, along with the Application to Make a Machinegun, which establishes that the weapon is being made for distribution to a Federal or state agency, an individual may be permitted to make the machinegun. [18 U. S. C. 922( o)( 2), 27 CFR 179.105( e)]

(M30) What is a "conversion kit?"
    A conversion kit is any part or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun. A conversion kit is a machinegun for purposes of the NFA. [26 U. S. C. 5845, 27 CFR 179.11]

edited November -1
    Ken,
    I fixed the link so it would work. At least, that's where it "led" me.

As for the MP-5, sounds like you need to get out and shoot it more, and zero that red dot in.
    Hey, any excuse would be a good one, right? [;)]

As for the amnesty, I heard something about it a few years ago, but nothing recent, until this. I will be keeping my eye (and ear) open for any progress, but I'm NOT holding my breath.

edited November -1
    The only way there can truly be an amnesty, would be by including all NFA weapons, otherwise it is not an amnesty in the spirit of it's definition.

am?nes?ty; To grant a general pardon to.

par?don; To release (a person) from punishment; exempt from penalty: a convicted criminal who was pardoned by the governor.

To let (an offense) pass without punishment.

To make courteous allowance for; excuse: Pardon me, I'm in a hurry.

gen?er?al; Not limited in scope, area, or application: as a general rule.

Not limited to or dealing with one class of things; diversified: general studies.

As you can see, by definitions, there would have to be a free registration period for all NFA weapons not those selected by BATF. 1986 would not be a magic number and therefore machine guns made during the amnesty period would be acceptable.

That's my take on the definition of amnesty, maybe that's why they won't grant one.

MP5- In reading from your link, I found it unacceptable that Mr. Larson was able to sacrifice so many of the general provisions of an amnesty, in order to have an amnesty period. This is self defeating in my opinion. But, good information none-the-less.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagl.gif911_memorial_flag_our_flag_was_stil.gifculpepper-01.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_az_2fagl.gif
    There are two kinds of people in this World....Those who lead....and those who get the hell out of the way...GUT CHECK!...Which one are you?
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see no chance of a post-86 amnesty. Maybe if you "found" grandpa's old tommy gun in the attic, but no way they will allow a post-86 machine gun amnesty.

JMHO,
    WW

wwsm.GIF
    MOΛΩN ΛABE

samsm.gif"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams, Patriot/Brewer
    edited November -1
    OK WW, here's the $64,000 question: Why not?

This question is based on two simple facts
    Machine Guns are legal now, to those that are willing to jump through hoops and sell their soul to the BATF.What is the difference between an M16A2 Select-Fire made in 1985 and an M16A2 Select-Fire made yesterday?Answer: Not one thing, they both use the same ammo, they both fire 3rd. burst and full auto, and they are made from the same materials.

When I think about this, I really feel a sense of amazement as to how those in the ranks of our government are oblivious to the blatantly manifested dichotomy that flourishes amongst these argumentative laws, it truly is indeed transcendental in it's glorious achievement. Never-the-less how fantastic these understadings may be it does not, however excuse, the hebetudinous mentality one must convey while ignoring the unmistakable irrationality of it all. [8D]

edited November -1
    You are absolutely right, Comengetit. Another example is if you show most people an AR-15 then they immediately see an "assault weapon", but if you show them a wood stock Ruger Mini-14 then they see a hunting rifle. They both are semi-autos chambered in .223. What's the difference?

It is perception. The "sheeple" have been so groomed to believe that Machine Guns/Assault Weapons = EVIL that I have no faith that an amnesty would gain public support. We would see a Liberal media onslaught that would continuously loop images from Columbine, the Stockton schoolyard shooting, the Hollywood bank robbery from a couple years ago, etc.

I think we need to shift the whole perception of the public before they would be receptive to any amnesty or repeal of machine gun laws.

I'm not saying it is right or that it makes sense, it's just the way it is.

-WW

wwsm.GIF
    MOΛΩN ΛABE

samsm.gif"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."
    edited November -1
    Exactly WW, and is that not what we are all about? Sometimes you have to shove it down someones throat before they know how something is going to taste. The taste of tyranny is foul and bitter, the sheeple need to sample that flavor without the whole country falling into a reign of heavy handed, iron *, terror rending tyrannical government.

Why oh why won't they listen? I used to look at people like us as looney tunes, whacked out, freaks. Now, I really wish I had paid attention sooner.

If we were to bring to bear a media blitz to inform and educate the masses, what would it's main focus be?

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagl.gif911_memorial_flag_our_flag_was_stil.gif[/IMG]culpepper-01.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_az_2fagl.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:If we were to bring to bear a media blitz to inform and educate the masses, what would it's main focus be?

Up until now, my approach has been at the individual level. If I encounter someone that I sense may have a budding interest in firearms then I will delicately approach them and try to strike up a friendly conversation. I try to talk to them about different guns and how they work, and hopefully dispell any myths they may have heard about firearms. If they have never fired a gun then I offer to take them to the range sometime, or I refer them to a gun safety instructor. We had a great thread on here a while back that gave tips for introducing "newbies" to firearms.

My hope is that by giving someone a positive introduction to firearms that they will eventually see the "truth". If they can have fun with a semi-auto handgun, and eventually a semi-auto rifle, then maybe they will realize that a machine gun is not much different. Unfortunately this is only one person at a time. I'm not sure if there is a way to introduce people en masse to firearms in a similarly safe and friendly way.

-WW

wwsm.GIF
    MOΛΩN ΛABE

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WoundedWolf
    quote:If we were to bring to bear a media blitz to inform and educate the masses, what would it's main focus be?

Up until now, my approach has been at the individual level. If I encounter someone that I sense may have a budding interest in firearms then I will delicately approach them and try to strike up a friendly conversation. I try to talk to them about different guns and how they work, and hopefully dispell any myths they may have heard about firearms. If they have never fired a gun then I offer to take them to the range sometime, or I refer them to a gun safety instructor. We had a great thread on here a while back that gave tips for introducing "newbies" to firearms.

My hope is that by giving someone a positive introduction to firearms that they will eventually see the "truth". If they can have fun with a semi-auto handgun, and eventually a semi-auto rifle, then maybe they will realize that a machine gun is not much different. Unfortunately this is only one person at a time. I'm not sure if there is a way to introduce people en masse to firearms in a similarly safe and friendly way.

-WW

wwsm.GIF
    MOEUN EABE

WW- I think we have to make a run at the masses. The Elites are killing us in the propaganda war and it is because they are everywhere in the media. One on one is still important but not all that effective. By the time we have spent countless hours of our time trying to convert one person, the government has solidified their case in 10,000 more individuals. We have to undo that.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagl.gif911_memorial_flag_our_flag_was_stil.gif[/IMG]culpepper-01.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_az_2fagl.gif
  • nick357nick357 Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is strange what is the difference between a pre 85 m16a2 select-fire and a new one?.
    I have seen the paladin press catalogue and all the d-i-y book's have the warning, you have to get batf aporoval before construction.
    That really does smell like 1968 over here, oh you don't need burst fire for hunting and shooting sport's, so you wont need that any more, it all went down hill from then.
    Mind you 30 odd years from now it will be ok as all the people in charge now will be retired, but when the new generation comes along it will be better as most newer generations arent against gun ownership, you will get a couple of tree hugging liberal's but there is one born every week, it is a pitty that we dont have the methods to remove the gene.
    I do admire the way you protect your rights as when you are faced with a threat you actually do something about it, but over here very few people stand up and try and do something, but most are just too lazy and expect someone else to fight for them, we need people like comengetit.

Over here we can build our own toy's but you got to pay i think 50.00 to have it checked for safety by the proof house, im all fingers and thumbs when it comes to manufacturing, when i was at school in the woodshop class i wanted to make a cigar humidor but it didn't work out right and i ended up banging two bits of wood together and made an incense holder[^] it got me an F+ the plus was for the effort[:D].
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do I believe there will be another amnesty registration period for full autos? Sure, right after they need snow tires in hell. And for those interested in preserving your right to own a firearm- ANY firearm- find a 10 year old kid (even if you have to borrow one) and take him- or her- shooting with a 22 next Saturday afternoon. In 8 years they will be the people voting on laws like that.

"I have good news and bad. Make it through, you don't have to prove anything to anyone the rest of your life. Bad news- you have to prove it to me first." CSM, US Army Ranger School.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nick357
    That is strange what is the difference between a pre 85 m16a2 select-fire and a new one?.
    I have seen the paladin press catalogue and all the d-i-y book's have the warning, you have to get batf aporoval before construction.
    That really does smell like 1968 over here, oh you don't need burst fire for hunting and shooting sport's, so you wont need that any more, it all went down hill from then.
    Mind you 30 odd years from now it will be ok as all the people in charge now will be retired, but when the new generation comes along it will be better as most newer generations arent against gun ownership, you will get a couple of tree hugging liberal's but there is one born every week, it is a pitty that we dont have the methods to remove the gene.
    I do admire the way you protect your rights as when you are faced with a threat you actually do something about it, but over here very few people stand up and try and do something, but most are just too lazy and expect someone else to fight for them, we need people like comengetit.

Over here we can build our own toy's but you got to pay i think 50.00 to have it checked for safety by the proof house, im all fingers and thumbs when it comes to manufacturing, when i was at school in the woodshop class i wanted to make a cigar humidor but it didn't work out right and i ended up banging two bits of wood together and made an incense holder[^] it got me an F+ the plus was for the effort[:D].

Hey Nick,
    Sorry bud I just saw your post, didn't want you to think we were ignoring you.[;)] Do you have total gun ban or just partial? I think they're going to try and get ours but it'll never work. Too many good ole boys adept at hunting to possibly work. We will fight and you will hear about us as extremists, until we start winning, then we will be freedom fighters.[;)] Keep posting glad to have yah.

Neo-Jedi Council
    th_rebspin.gif
    Naboo Sniper
    o3.gifbubajog.gifTROLL

• MPfiveengineerMPfiveengineer Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If we keep talking about this will it happen?

edited November -1
    Amnesty? No! They are looking to close the door on gun ownership. Besides, what would the little BATFE boys do if they couldn't throw decent citizens in jail for having an illegal machine gun. There is but one reason that they want all the guns, to prevent us from mounting any kind of defense against tyranny. Check this out:

http://www.tysknews.com/Depts/2nd_Amend/weissman_rkba.htm

edited November -1
    You might want to keep an eye on this bill, and see if there is any interest in it.

H.R. 2088 (Gibbons)
    This bill would allow a veteran or member of his family to register a National Firearms Act firearm acquired abroad prior to October 31, 1968, under a 90-day amnesty program.

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    You might want to keep an eye on this bill, and see if there is any interest in it.

H.R. 2088 (Gibbons)
    This bill would allow a veteran or member of his family to register a National Firearms Act firearm acquired abroad prior to October 31, 1968, under a 90-day amnesty program.

Again, this is just plain non-sense, it's even more ludicrus that they add family members to it. It's nothing more than the Elites showing that they can pick and choose who may have what, sickening.

edited November -1
    I posted this in the interest of the topic of this thread, which is amnesty for machine guns, and what is currently happening with it.

I imagine that there were quite a few enlisted men that brought back "toys" from Nam, since it WAS legal to do so. When the mandatory registration came, they either didn't hear about it, or didn't care. I think this is just a ploy on the part of the government to get some of those NON registered machine guns off the street.

They had to include the "family members" because some of the men have died off, and now the family members don't know what to do with an "illegal" machine gun. This gives them the chance to turn them in without getting into any trouble. Or, once registered, I wonder if they could sell them, since they are "pre 86" Hmmmmm......[;)]

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    I posted this in the interest of the topic of this thread, which is amnesty for machine guns, and what is currently happening with it.

I imagine that there were quite a few enlisted men that brought back "toys" from Nam, since it WAS legal to do so. When the mandatory registration came, they either didn't hear about it, or didn't care. I think this is just a ploy on the part of the government to get some of those NON registered machine guns off the street.

They had to include the "family members" because some of the men have died off, and now the family members don't know what to do with an "illegal" machine gun. This gives them the chance to turn them in without getting into any trouble. Or, once registered, I wonder if they could sell them, since they are "pre 86" Hmmmmm......[;)]

Thanks for clearing that thread last night.

I hope you didn't think I was raggin' on yah for the post. I wasn't, I just get sick of all the laws that are good that don't include us. Do you suppose we could get the list of those new amnesty folks?[;)][}:)]

• gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amnesty on machine guns? Are you out of your mind?!?

This is not advice, or anything, but owning a machine gun built after the magic date is civil disobedience, and in all seriousness, in the coming years, you will probably see a lot more of this occuring, as more people wake up to the truth that feds care about themselves and want to control you.

There will be people in machine shops developing conversion kits, and building arsenals of whatever they can get, stockpiling ammunition, and figuring out ways to make improvised weaponry, among other things, simply because those people may decide they need them one day, probably soon.

Just an observation....

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."