In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NYC assault rifles

beezybeezy Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Does anyone know the assault rifle laws for New York City? I am moving there in the next year or so and would like to know for future purchases.
Thanks
Beezy

Comments

• Options
    ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try this.
    http://www.gunlaws.com/links/linksny.htm

upsdFlag.gif
    There are two kinds of people in this World....Those who lead....and those who get the hell out of the way...GUT CHECK!...Which one are you?
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's an assaut rifle?

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hehe, good one, Defender. [:D]

wwsm.GIF
    MOLON LABE

The Second Amendment begins when the First Amendment ends.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mighty good point Defender, if'n I understans it correctly, or incorrectly that is, an "assault rifle" has taken on a whole new meaning over the last 20 years. Yah seez' this here thing the now callz a assault rifle ain't nottin' mo' dan a semi-automatic rifle with a few modern conveniences added that in no way alter the performance of the weapon. So, if you have a pistol grip on any rifle or a collapsable stock or a flash hider or a full round barrel shroud or a lug for a bayonette then it's an assault rifle. I wonder why that is? Could it be that those dumb, ignorant, stupid, lame, asinine, ridiculous, numb nuts, candy pants, retarded, elitist, no brained, morons feel that a really good lie to the public will help them to accomplish a goal that they don't have the slightest clue as to why they want to achieve? [Nod your head up and down] I would love to get them in front of a national audience and ask them one simple question in two parts; "Why do you want them banned and what exactly do any of the accessories you have tagged have to do with an assault?"

Their answer, no matter what it is, will be shot down in flames. Hence the reason they will not have an open debate on the subject. They know full well the lies they tell will be exposed under such scrutiny. The NRA needs to publicly challenge them to a debate or even a debate on the Congress floor. They have nothing to support any of their claims and they are well aware that we do have facts to support our statements. It'll never happen, if I were them, I would never do it.

I know everyone knows what a wrongfully called "assault weapon" is. I just like to point out the absurdities whenever possible.

upsdFlag.gif
    There are two kinds of people in this World....Those who lead....and those who get the hell out of the way...GUT CHECK!...Which one are you?
  • Options
    MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I hit you over the head with a broom, it is an assault weapon. If I hit you over the head or shoot you with a pistol it too, is an assault weapon. If I hit you over the head or shoot you with my AR-15 is it an assault assault weapon?

Just wondering...

amscray ithway ethay unsgay
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An assaut weapon is a select-fire military rifle. There is no new meaning. A lot of gun haters have tried to redefine the term to include lots of items that are not assault weapons for a political agenda. Gun owners have fallen into the gun rights-hater's trap by accepting the lie as fact.

If you tell a lie often enough it becomes the truth. )Josef Goebles 1938...)

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Defender, your point is mine, you just made it better. I live in the peoples republic of NJ and here an assault weapon is anything that looks scary. Scary that is, to the panty waists who have never held a firearm much less shot one.

The sad thing is that the folks who are so afraid of guns probably will die an early death from heart disease or a car accident. Both of those kill far more than guns do.

• Options
    beezybeezy Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alright well let me refraise the question, if I were to own a rifle in the city of New York what features do I need to be aware of, that will make the rifle I own illegal?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here you go on the firearms you are allowed to have, makes NJ look like Wyoming:

New York City has two definitions of firearm. The New York City Charter has a broader meaning of firearm to include any firearm (defined by the New York Administrative Code), rifle, shotgun, assault weapon, or machine gun. The New York City Administrative Code more narrowly defines firearm as any pistol or revolver, a shotgun having a barrel(s) less than eighteen inches in length, a rifle having a barrel(s) less than sixteen inches in length, or any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle with an overall length of less than 26 inches. Assault weapons (defined in the NYC Administrative code) are not considered firearms except as specifically provided, making this second definition different than the New York State Law.

The definition of assault weapon includes semiautomatic center fire or rimfire rifle or semiautomatic shotgun, which has one or more of the following features:

folding or telescoping stock or no stock;
    pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
    bayonet mount;
    flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;
    barrel shroud;
    grenade launcher.
    In addition, the commissioner shall, by rule, designate specific semiautomatic center fire or rimfire rifles or semiautomatic shotguns, identified by make, model and/or manufacturer's name, as within the definition of assault weapon, if the Commissioner determines that such weapons are particularly suitable for military and not sporting purposes:

Any shotgun with a revolving-cylinder magazine;
    Any part, or combination of parts, designed or redesigned or intended to readily convert a rifle or shotgun into an assault weapon.
    The definition of assault weapon shall not include any rifle or shotgun modified to render it permanently inoperative.

It is unlawful for any person to possess or dispose of an assault weapon except for members of the military, persons employed with defense contracts for testing, and persons voluntarily surrendering an assault weapon to the Police Commissioner. Ammunition feeding device means magazines, belts, feedstrips, drums or clips capable of being attached to or utilized with firearms, rifles, shotguns or assault weapons.

The presence of a rifle, or shotgun, or rifle or shotgun ammunition, in a vehicle, room, dwelling or structure, without a rifle and shotgun permit therefore and a certificate of registration therefore, or the presence of an assault weapon in a vehicle, room, dwelling or structure, shall be presumptive evidence of possession thereof by all persons occupying the vehicle, room, dwelling or structure at the time.

It is unlawful to alter, change, remove, disfigure, obliterate or deface the name of the make, model, manufacturer's or serial number of a rifle, shotgun, handgun, or assault weapon.

Whenever the Mayor declares a state of emergency in New York City, the following activities are prohibited:

the sale or transfer of possession of any ammunition, guns and other firearms of any size description;
    the displaying by or in any store or shop of any ammunition, guns and other firearms of any size or description;
    the possession in a public place of a rifle or shotgun by any person, except police or military in performance of official duty;
    the possession of any rifle or shotgun in any place, public or private, by a nonresident who has not been issued a permit by the Police Commissioner.
    It is unlawful to fire or discharge any gun, pistol, rifle, fowling piece or other firearm in the City, except for certain premises designated by the Police Commissioner.

• Options
    edited November -1
    That is absolutely atrocious. I can't believe that the largest city in America is a gun free zone. I guess it makes sense though, I mean how is one supposed to exert his authority [tyranny] over all the people if he can't take New York? It is supposed to be a psychological blow to the rest of the country when New York falls victim to the upcoming tyrannical leader. Little do those in politics know that the majority of the country doesn't recognize New York as some modern day Sparta. I rather think it is thought of as just another city, big and beautiful, but still a city of no real military significance save shipping.

It is all just lip service anyway, they'll keep knocking it down city by city state by state. They've figured out that you must eat an elephant one bite at a time, now we could be looking at some real uphill battles. Of course, with New York, San Francisco, New Jersey, and New Orleans I think there may be a little more awareness than before so we'll have to keep pounding out the pro gun propaganda and hope it sticks to those on the fence. This is really going to get ugly when they hit some of the other cities, especially out West, but not so far as Kalifornia. I think they should try Prescott, Arizona next or maybe San Antonio and if they are really feeling ballsy, how about Phoenix. Nowhere to run to baby...nowhere to hide and a snitload of happy gun owners. I dont't know a single family that doesn't own at least three guns. Liberals have a real hard time propogating in 120 degree heat, the natives get a little restless when strange folk start throwing their weight around and when you add that heat, eeewwwwweeeeee it could get real ugly, real quick.

So I guess we'll just have to wait it out. I think we should all concentrate our effort locally as that's where it'll happen anyway. Good luck and Godspeed!

Oh, and when they're through trying to get Phoenix maybe they should move on down to Tucson and then Tombstone[;)], hahahahahaha dead lefties, I love it!!!!!!!!!!![}:)]

upsdFlag.gif
  • Options
    shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Comengetit
    I thought I was a hard case.

My advice to anyone moving to NY city is
    don't do it. NY upstate is a neat place but it
    is still NY. Gun laws suck and thanks to that
    wolf in a sheep's coat Governor George P ( R )
    (anti-gun nit-wit) They for the first time
    since the Sullivan law , have enacted new
    anti-gun laws . NY did only classifies hand
    guns as firearms until now . Don't know
    what they are doing today. Even the gun guys
    can't get it together . Since the gun finger
    print law almost all of the small an some of
    the bigger gun shop that I know of have closed.
    The BATFE shut down one I know of and
    auctioned of all his guns. He got old and
    forgot to make some entries in his log book.
    Places not to go NJ~NY~MA~CT~RI and KA.
    If anyone has to go to these places just remember
    what Bill Clinton said , " Don't ask don't tell"[8D][8D]

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you.
  • Options
    shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beezy
    You need to know that NY city has more unregistered guns than upstate has registered guns , and that's alot.[8D]
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    I am a native new yorker, bronx born and raised(some) I currently live in MA. Let me enlighten a few of the less enlightened. Living in NY I got my pistol permit after about 4 months of waiting. MA took 3 weeks. NY cost over 100 bucks, MA- 25. It was a real hassle to get a CCW in NY (issued by the county judge) basically told him I was going to carry concealed anyway, and if he preferred not to see me at his bench, or worse, then a CCW was what I needed. I never met the man who issued my Class A , CCW, high capacity, no limitation license.
    I will concede that MA is no firearms heaven, but it does have a somewhat undeserved rep re: gun control

When the meekest of men raise their fist at you in defiance, you have lost. It is just a matter then of admitting it to yourself.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahem. Here in Virginia there is no "registration" of firearms. With the exception of full autos that must be registered with the State Police (last time I looked, i THINK the fee was $5) Concealed carry? Went down to the Clerk's office for circuit court, filled out one page form, wrote them a check (think it was $40) Three days later had letter in mailbox from clerk. Thinking, "Oh crap, what did I forget to fill out?" opened it. Note said "We have your license ready, need ya to come down and sign it in presence of clerk." Good for 5 years. As far as classes of license, it's for a handgun. Your choice what you carry, from 22 derringer to .500 S&W. [^]

"I have good news and bad. Make it through, you don't have to prove anything to anyone the rest of your life. Bad news- you have to prove it to me first." CSM, US Army Ranger School.