In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My remarks today to news media folks...

DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not a fan of open carry. When you display a handgun in a holster it invites a breach of the peace. Drunks want to challenge you, old ladies in tennis shoes run from you and people act intimidated sometimes just to be jerks.

The idea of open carry was a cheap way for gun rights-hating politicians to get around the Second Amendment. You can bear arms but you must do so in an unpleasant way or we'll lock you up.

Politicians required permits to conceal weapons. This all began in the South as a way to keep newly freed slaves disarmed. White people got the permits and Blacks did not. That gun control as a race control concept worked its way up the East Coast and was used against the newer underclass immigrants in New York.

In the 1960s gun bans popped up all over the country by politicians that ignored American's Constitutional rights. Those cases have worked themselves through the court systems now for five decades. The Supreme Court has NEVER ruled one way or another. They have refused to hear cases on either side of the gun control issue. Gun bans and alike are really up in the air.

Is the right to bear arms a collective right as the Bolshevik gun rights-haters claim or an individual right of every citizen? The US Courts of Appeals have decisions going both ways without a resolution.

The only thing that's certain is gun laws are only obeyed by the law abiding. Criminals have never had a problem getting weapons. Every year thousands are lost or stolen from all levels of our government. Guns are also easy to make. Every year the technology improves and the tools to make them are better and cheaper than ever.

The best answer is to keep the law abiding well trained and armed to keep the predators in check or behind bars. The gun rights-haters are also the same Liberal people who reject the death penalty and want to let criminals back into society quickly. They claim they hate guns because guns somehow manufacture criminals. They somehow think if the guns are taken from citizens who will hand them over on a government demand will some how get them out of criminal hands too.

The media gets a gun control story from a politician, perhaps suggesting a new gun law be passed. The reporters and producers understandably want to get the other side of the argument and run to the nearest gun shop for sound bites. Gun shop salesmen and customers have no special knowledge about gun laws. They are no match for the politicians or professional gun-gun rights hater in any debate. If you need the other side of the story go to the NRA or the State rifle Association, a known gun rights lobbyist or advocate. Tell the whole story.

The police chiefs parrot the positions of the politicians that appoint them. Instead of going to the Chiefs, ask the rank and file officers. You'll find the street cop knows more about the threats he or she faces ever day than any chief or mayor. They've also seen the gun laws work to protect the muggers, rapists, and killers by keeping their victims unarmed.

Back before all that workplace violence of the last three decades it was non-existent. Why? It's really quite simple, every manufacturer or large business had a trained and armed security department. As the guns were taken away from the security departments, work place violence became a new reality. I guess the CEOs were never smart enough to figure that out.

TV stations hire uniformed security folks and keep them unarmed. I guess they need to learn the hard way that unarmed security guards make really good unarmed hostages. If you have unarmed security, why pay for a false sense of security?

September 11th would have been just another day if the dopes in our government demanded that pilots be trained and armed. Imagine if they just let those two off duty cops that were on those fateful flights carry their guns like I used to be able to do while traveling?

The safest place for criminals and terrorists are the gun free zones. Why's that???

Defender
Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.

Comments

• ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All good points. However, I feel you have missed the pulse of the evil behind the gun-grabbing Bolsheviks. They want to have total and unabated power over each and every SUBJECT in America. They already have power over every SUBJECT in the rest of the world and we are the last man standing, save Switzerland who just plain gets it. It's easy for them (Elites) to go after the guns in the name of crime prevention for they can garner much support from the stupid sheeple who will continuously support ANYTHING in the name of "SAFETY".

It's really quite remarkable how our citizenry will sign off on all these laws and as soon as the hammer comes down they will be the loudest complainers.

There are two kinds of people in this World....Those who lead....and those who get the hell out of the way...GUT CHECK!...Which one are you?
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    From 1968 to the mid-seventies, I carried a revolver or pistol in a hip holster in a small town in south western Kansas.Openly.

Not every day..but quite often. Was never hassled, accosted, ran from by little old ladies,or challenged.

Normal procedure was to swing off a horse..or the tractor...and head to town to eat or pick up repairs, feed, ect....and the gun was a tool, carried daily....I was gone for a period....Unk Sam called...but nothing changed in the years passed...same thing applied when I returned...
  • DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I missed a lot of points since I only wrote a readable article rather than a book.

I have no desire to outlaw ANY form of carry.

I have other issues with open carry that I did not raise. My concern about criminals grabbing an exposed gun and using it on someone is very real because it's happend too many times. Until bullet resistant vests, improved training and better hoster designes (Thank you Galco, Safariland and Bianchi)nearly half the cops killed in the line of duty were shot with their own gun or that of their partners. Gun retention is a problem with a well trained professional and could be a big problem with Joe citizen. I'd rather have my hardwear out-of-sight.

The second issue I have with open carry is that it invites screwballs that want to cause trouble to call the cops and falsly claim you pulled and pointed your gun at him. I Arizona, that gets you a mandatory five year prison term if a jury believes your accuser. I've seen plenty of false convictions and lives destroyed. You open carry fans need to rethink you positions. Remember open carry requirements were the first American gun control laws. That means the open carry fans like gun control.

Remember you may choose to carry a gun because you're around dangerous, unfriendly people or criminals. Open carry is poor second choice. Outside of defending yourself, only show you guns of to your pals in private and you'll save money in lawyers and doctors fees.

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    I guess my point..thinking about it...is that different situations allow different actions.

I would hate to be strolling thru the seedier sections of town, with open carry. Part of "Self defense"..is surprise.
    Allowing perps the total advantage....they just shoot first...from cover.

That area, rural, mostly decent folks...nobody got excited over a gun in a holster.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Defender
    I missed a lot of points since I only wrote a readable article rather than a book.

I have no desire to outlaw ANY form of carry.

I have other issues with open carry that I did not raise. My concern about criminals grabbing an exposed gun and using it on someone is very real because it's happend too many times. Until bullet resistant vests, improved training and better hoster designes (Thank you Galco, Safariland and Bianchi)nearly half the cops killed in the line of duty were shot with their own gun or that of their partners. Gun retention is a problem with a well trained professional and could be a big problem with Joe citizen. I'd rather have my hardwear out-of-sight.

The second issue I have with open carry is that it invites screwballs that want to cause trouble to call the cops and falsly claim you pulled and pointed your gun at him. I Arizona, that gets you a mandatory five year prison term if a jury believes your accuser. I've seen plenty of false convictions and lives destroyed. You open carry fans need to rethink you positions. Remember open carry requirements were the first American gun control laws. That means the open carry fans like gun control.

Remember you may choose to carry a gun because you're around dangerous, unfriendly people or criminals. Open carry is poor second choice. Outside of defending yourself, only show you guns of to your pals in private and you'll save money in lawyers and doctors fees.

Defender

Actually, I think you pretty much nailed it with that one exception. Good article and I think these guys get tired of my books, I just can't seem to say it in fewer words. Never could, you can nice job.

There are two kinds of people in this World....Those who lead....and those who get the hell out of the way...GUT CHECK!...Which one are you?
    edited November -1
    Here is a media-type, gun rights-hater defending gun bans. Then you see my response...

quote:Originally posted by 2:30:
    [qb]How do you explain NYC being the safest large city in the nation?

It has one of the toughest gun control laws, and murders and violent crimes are way down...to levels not seen since the 60s.

Carry permits? For law abiding citizens it's almost a who cares. The trouble is what happens when law abiding citizens' guns fall into the wrong hands... or when the sale of guns is so routine that people who are not law abiding get their hands on high powered weapons.[/qb]There are lots of carry permits in New York and a lot more cops per square inch than any other large city. The gun permits in New York are gladhanded by the politicians instead of having a shall issue system. New York's safety is not nearly as rosy at the Left Wing, gun rights- hater 2:30 claims.

I know of no city that had 3,000 murders in a single day but New york.

This act below was brought to you by the over-zealos gun rights haters inside the FAA. They wanted and got a gun free zone. They made a fine example of just how well gun control works:

01810r.jpg

Defender
  • KYfatboyKYfatboy Member Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nail on the head.quote:Originally posted by Defender
    Here is a media-type, gun rights-hater defending gun bans. Then you see my response...

quote:Originally posted by 2:30:
    [qb]How do you explain NYC being the safest large city in the nation?

It has one of the toughest gun control laws, and murders and violent crimes are way down...to levels not seen since the 60s.

Carry permits? For law abiding citizens it's almost a who cares. The trouble is what happens when law abiding citizens' guns fall into the wrong hands... or when the sale of guns is so routine that people who are not law abiding get their hands on high powered weapons.[/qb]There are lots of carry permits in New York and a lot more cops per square inch than any other large city. The gun permits in New York are gladhanded by the politicians instead of having a shall issue system. New York's safety is not nearly as rosy at the Left Wing, gun rights- hater 2:30 claims.

I know of no city that had 3,000 murders in a single day but New york.

This act below was brought to you by the over-zealos gun rights haters inside the FAA. They wanted and got a gun free zone. They made a fine example of just how well gun control works:

01810r.jpg

Defender

Traveling from the west, unto the east. Insearch of that which was lost, but with my endavors, and his assistance, I am hopeful, of finding.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Defender, you are one sharp guy. If I was wealthy I would pay you well to do nothing but work full time on speaking out/fighting for our gun rights.

Seriously.

f2520l.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    Defender, you are one sharp guy. If I was wealthy I would pay you well to do nothing but work full time on speaking out/fighting for our gun rights.

Seriously.

f2520l.jpg

Thanks TR, I guess I need to explore getting a radio talk show somewhere...

Defender
    edited November -1
    That would be a step in the right direction for gun ownership and the inherent rights that accompany it. Look into it, I'd dial you in.

edited November -1
    Open carry in KY is in the KY constituion. It says all of Ky's citizens have the right to keep, and bear arms. Any law inacted to the contrary is null, and void, with the execption of the general assembly to pass laws concerning the carrying of weapons concealed.

www.templeofthesith.com Dark lord of the sith.
    edited November -1
    As Defender knows, the same is true in AZ yet very few carry openly. I have been known to carry openly on ocassion, but then again, I am a bit intimidating in stature so I don't worry too much about my gun being taken from me. I am always aware that someone may try to though. Is it counterproductive to carry openly? Yes and no, obviously having a gun at all is an advantage, provided you don't allow it to be turned into a disadvantage. I just kind of scowl at people when they look at my sidearm. Let's them know that the thought of trying to take it is in itself bad for their health. I accidentaly walked into a bank and right up to the teller with my gun on my side about a year ago. Not one thing was said by anyone, the security guard even told me to have a nice day. I thought it was illegal to carry into a bank, either I'm wrong or the banks are pro-gunners and I doubt that they are but why not say something to me as soon as I was leaving like, "excuse me sir, are you aware that carrying a firearm into a federally insured financial institution is against the law?" To which I would have replied, "oh my God, I completely forgot I had that on and no, I wasn't aware of that. Thank you." I don't think the bank would have paid no attention to my gun because they were intimidated, so what gives? Why didn't anyone say anything. They saw it, looked right at it on a few ocassions.

upsdFlag.gif
    edited November -1
    I've discouvered that the gun you carry, and the holster has A lot to do with it. The 1911 I carry most, is black, the handles are black, the uncle mikes paddle holster is black, I'm one who usually wears dark colors in clothing, not many people notice my gun. That or they think I'm wacked and just don't say anything.[8D]

www.templeofthesith.com Dark lord of the sith.