In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mail Order Ammo

savage303savage303 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
I have been buying ammo via mail for a very long time until I got a notice from a vendor(Sportsmansguide)that they cannot ship my .22Long Rifle ammo to my area! I called them asked for a explanation and this is what they said:
"We have placed certain restrictions, on certain items listed in our catalog and our web site.
Due to the various state, county and municipal laws that exist, we are not always able to comply with each individual guideline. Not all of the restrictions are based on laws on the books, but could be a company decision based on certain concerns. Things such as whether the state law suits pending involving gun owners, recent court decisions that may effect businesses like ours. Finally it may be that the states laws are so vague that they could be interpreted unfavorably in the event a court action was ever involved, and finally as a public held company, we are obligated to safeguard our stockholder's investments.
We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
If you have any other questions please contact us.

Anybody here had a similar experience?? Needless to say I am disgusted to say the least. If this is the case then this is another way that the BradyBunch is choking us from enjoying our little left freedom. It seems like one of their main tactics is too file law suites against these type of vendors and force them not to sell any firearms related items. Vendors not wanting to fight these headaches simply stop selling these products. Retails stores like Walmart, K-Mart, Sports Authority have all stopped selling Firearms in my area.(Montgomery County, MD). I have been a arden gunrights advocate for nearly 25 years. I became a NRA member even before I had a firearm, when I lived in DC. Can you imagine what restrictions we will face in another 10- 15 years?? I think every gunowner should support Gunright Organizations, and we have a good reasons to do that.
- Dave

Comments

• Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Well, you describe the situation very well. Thanks for being an NRA member.If even half of the gun owners in America would get active (write letters to legislators, speak out in public, join pro-gun rights groups, etc) we would have no firearm ownership problems.

Oh, no I haven't encountered the restriction you mentioned. I live in KS and have ordered ammo from Sprortsmans Guide many times until they turned tight and cheap on me regarding one of my orders they screwed up.
    BTW, where do you live that you are having that problem?
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TR, I am curious to what problems you had with Sportsman's Guide. I'm not yet 21, so I can't order handgun ammunition. I probably will take advantage of some of their deals, but I'd like to know what problems you had.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tr fox,
    I live in the "liberal" state of Maryland,Montgomery County, Kensington, to be specific. I ordered .22 target ammo few months ago from them and I had no problem. There must have been some lawsuit or some restriction against them originating from this area recently for sure. I even called them and the guy on the other end put me on hold while he checked with someone and told me "They cannot ship to my area because there had been incidents such as the "Sniper Attacks" and 9/11 attacks. That was all pure bull! What has .22 Target Ammo got to do with 9/11. The attacks were carried out with box cutters and a cult religion. These incidents really bugs me. I feel like screaming my lungs out, but to whom?? I wish there were 1000 people like you(tr fox), so we can get our freedom back. Thanks for letting me vent!![:(!]
    - Dave

quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    Well, you describe the situation very well. Thanks for being an NRA member.If even half of the gun owners in America would get active (write letters to legislators, speak out in public, join pro-gun rights groups, etc) we would have no firearm ownership problems.

Oh, no I haven't encountered the restriction you mentioned. I live in KS and have ordered ammo from Sprortsmans Guide many times until they turned tight and cheap on me regarding one of my orders they screwed up.
    BTW, where do you live that you are having that problem?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dsmith,
    I never had any problems with SPG before until two weeks ago when they refused to ship .22 target ammo to my address. I ordered the same ammo about two months ago and had no problem. The ammo shot so well in my CZ 527 American I wanted to order some more. But then they refused to send it. My first impression was may be they were outof stock and trying to give me an excuse. Further investigation revealed that is not the case. I guess you might not have the same problem, depending on the location. But trust me it is coming to the neigborhood near you.. unless we wake up from this slumber and take action.!!
    - Dave

quote:Originally posted by dsmith
    TR, I am curious to what problems you had with Sportsman's Guide. I'm not yet 21, so I can't order handgun ammunition. I probably will take advantage of some of their deals, but I'd like to know what problems you had.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    savage, you have had a similar experience as tprdelc describes in this thread:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=182739

However, you have correctly identified the enemy. It is not the vendor/seller's fault, it is the anti-gun politicians and lawyers.

-Wolf
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WoundedWolf
    savage, you have had a similar experience as tprdelc describes in this thread:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=182739

However, you have correctly identified the enemy. It is not the vendor/seller's fault, it is the anti-gun politicians and lawyers.

-Wolf

What a perfect, underhanded, dishonest and sneaky ploy by the rabid gun haters. Just what I would expect from them. File a lawsuit, which is unjustified, against a company selling guns and ammo like Sportsmans Guide, and regardless of outcome of lawsuit, Sportsmans Guide will be afraid to ship any more ammo to that location. Or maybe all locations since the huge amount of money it costs Sportsman Guide to defend, even from a worthless, frivolous lawsuit, probably is not worth it when compared to the profit margin of selling the ammo to begin with.
  • Options
    edited November -1

I placed an order for some Milsurp Romanian 8mm ammo produced in the 1970's, in Sept. 2004 at a really good pric. Got notice it was back-ordered which was fine with me. Kept getting notices it was still back-ordered which was still fine with me. Finally in Dec. 2004 (I think) I got a catalog from SG advertising the ammo I was waiting for. I called them on it and they told me that they were going to have to discontinue that item becasue their supply had dryed up. That was fine with me. Shortly after I got an email saying my Sept. order had shipped. I was happy about this as I wanted the ammo and I assumed they had found some of the ammo left over in their warehouse and went ahead and shipped it to me.

When the ammo arrived it was made in the 1950's, not the 1970's. Ammo 20 years older than what I had wanted to buy. I called their attention to this mistake and they apologized and said ship it back and they would pay shipping both ways so I would be out nothing except time of trip to UPS. I said let's work this out and we can both come out OK. I said just give me the UPS credit of shipping it both ways (approx $30-40) off my bill for the ammo and I would keep ammo and we would both be happy and come out ahead. They refused and instead offered me $10.00 off. I declined their cheap offer and they now were facing having to cover UPS shipping both ways (approx $30-40). plus I insisted they pay the extra to have UPS come to my house to pickup ammo as I was not going to be their errand boy and drive ammo to UPS. The agreed and UPS picked up ammo and I got full credit on bill.

I mentioned to SG that by taking back ammo, instead of working a reasonable deal with me that would have cost them nothing more than what they were going to have to pay to UPS, that they were violating their own published rule of not taking returned ammo for safety reasons. They didn't care and they had the additional cost of losing me as a customer.

End of story.
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    I wrote to SG too. Got the same response. I replied in much the same manner as you, informing them they were as much at fault as those who are anti-gun. I told them to stop sending the catalogs (they didn't) because nothing I wanted could be shipped here.
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kind of ironic TR. You feel the same way about Sportsman's Guide as I feel about the NRA. What about needing all the friends we can get? [:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I told them not to send catalogs too. I get angry when see the thier catalogs.[:(!]. You are absolutely right, it seems like there is nothing I like that can be shipped.Just look at thier catalog "restricted Shipping" page, and you will see it is growing everyday. I wrote to them telling that they should be supporting gunrights by at least joining the NRA "Roundup Program" where you round off the total to the nearest dollar at the check out when ordering. I always contribute to the roundup program when ever a vendor offers it. I guess that is the least we can do.
    - Savage

quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    I wrote to SG too. Got the same response. I replied in much the same manner as you, informing them they were as much at fault as those who are anti-gun. I told them to stop sending the catalogs (they didn't) because nothing I wanted could be shipped here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Kind of ironic TR. You feel the same way about Sportsman's Guide as I feel about the NRA. What about needing all the friends we can get? [:o)]

Not apples to oranges as you probably know.
  • Options
    tprdelctprdelc Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wounded wolf, If I seem confused over who the enemy is I have good reason. I have never had any mail order catalog refuse to deliver to me yet. I very recently recieved ammo from sportsmans guide. (44 mag, 45 colt and 30-30) I dont know what their problem is with 22 target. There are a very few people who will not ship ANY ammo to NJ. If you will not sell ammo in a state that you CAN sell ammo in then you have helped the enemy accomplish their goal. I dont know what sellers have to put up with when it comes to shipping guns and ammo. I can only judge by my own experience. MOST people ship to NJ and no one has gone to prison for it. If they learned the law so can the rest. And so should the rest. The constitution only protects people from the government. It does not protect the people from the people. If you wish to violate my second amendment right by not selling to me, you have every right to do that. Just lets be honest about it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Let's say that every time you call your dog to come to you a man jumps out from a bush and beats the dog with a stick. Before long the dog refuses to come to you.

Who is at fault? You? The dog? Or the man with the stick?

-Wolf
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Let me revise my above analogy so that it better applies. The guy only jumps out of the bush 1 out of 10 times. I think the dog would still refuse to come to you after a short while.

-Wolf
  • Options
    D.K.D.K. Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's say that every time you call your dog to come to you a man jumps out from a bush and beats the dog with a stick. Before long the dog refuses to come to you.

-Wolf

I'm at fault because I didn't take the stick away from him and shove it up his rectum [:(!]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by D.K.

-Wolf

I'm at fault because I didn't take the stick away from him and shove it up his rectum [:(!]

Uh....up the man or up the dog? Both?

Ah, Hell. What ever works.