In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FIGHTING OFF THE BAMBI FACTOR

shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
Your Gun right are in jeopardy from the bureaucrats
that run your state. Unelected and unaccountable ,
and you can't fire them.[8D]

FIGHTING OFF THE BAMBI FACTOR . . Some reports estimate that nearly half of all employees of state conservation agencies, including more than 75 percent of those in leadership positions, will retire in the next 10 years. Unfortunately, many incoming replacements-mostly new college graduates-seem to lack an appreciation of hunting and its historic ties to conservation. That's why the Wildlife Management Institute (WMI) and the McGraw Wildlife Foundation initiated a program for nonhunting students in natural resource disciplines at the University of Wisconsin and Penn State. The program involves four-day workshops at the Foundation in Dundee, Ill. It includes sessions on ethics, the biological basis of hunting, who hunts and why, and hunting and conservation. Students learn about and handle hunting firearms and archery equipment, and are mentored in target shooting and hunting. Other field exercises include dog handling, and cleaning and cooking game. WMI president Steve Williams said, "Our executive vice president, Dick McCabe, has developed and shepherded this pilot program, whose opportunities are bounded only by resources. It is extremely important for the future of wildlife management, hunting and the hunting industry."

Comments

• Options
    DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm one of those gun owners that don't shoot at any creatures with more than two legs.

I clearly understand that hunters and conservation paid for by hunters is the only reason we have an abundance of healthy game animals. One only need look at the the over populated animals that can be found in the vast Cook County Forset preserve system outside of Chicago to see the failure of anti-hunting zealots on the fragile ballance of nature. We need to place a bounty on PETA members.
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Unfortunately, many incoming replacements-mostly new college graduates-seem to lack an appreciation of hunting and its historic ties to conservation.

Let's examine that statement. There was a time when an experienced hunter and outdoorsman was well qualified to be a game warden or ranger. Now it is a requirement that these positions have a 4-year college degree. How does the state expect to find experienced hunters and outdoorsmen when they are requiring applicants to sit in a classroom for four years?

I am an advocate of education, but there is a trend today of valuing education over practical experience. I think this is the root of the problem.

-Wolf
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:We need to place a bounty on PETA members.

Hear hear!!!

No bag limit!!!
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least somebody (Dick McCabe) is thinking about it ahead of time.
  • Options
    Brendon169Brendon169 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by

I Disagree with the points you made here, but I can understand why you made them.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    So, Brendon;
    Are we to assume that BOTH sides are wrong ?
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I don't see where the problem is in bagging domestic terrorist organization's members is all that bad a thing.

As long as they publish sabotage manuals, spike trees, firebomb buildings, and set up traps meant to injure or kill hunters, as well as shooting hunters, death to them all!!!!